Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best Tamil movie actor

+8
Impedimenta
Hellsangel
Propagandhi711
Maria S
doofus_maximus
garam_kuta
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MulaiAzhagi
12 posters

Go down

The best Tamil movie actor Empty The best Tamil movie actor

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:48 am

Prakash Raj.

He acts better than Kamal, Rajini and Vijay. And he is versatile.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

The best Tamil movie actor Empty Re: The best Tamil movie actor

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:38 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:Prakash Raj.

I agree... the guy, read somewhere, accepts any role he likes and does a great job. Although he has acted as a hero has no qualms acting as a villain or in a supporting role. He is a Coorgi born and brought up in Bangalore and acts in different languages. He is one of the few guys who does not have a title (like Superstar or Little General).

I like to watch any movie that he has acted. His own movie "Abhiyum Naanum" is a great movie. "Abhi and I" is a movie about a father's emotions as his only little daughter grows up. very funny and reflects the real emotions of many fathers go through when raising a daughter.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:42 am

===> Actually, I watched the movie "Abhiyum Naanum" yesterday. I like it although it is a little bit overdone.

I have also watched the movies "singham" and "gili" in which the guy acts as a bad guy. Unlike Kamal, he does not overact.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 am

best you say ???? there's only one - Sivaji Ganesan. see navarathiri and gauravam to see how he can do the entire spectrum-over, under, normal anything you want..when you see him overacting in one role, you almost think the other subdued one is done by somebody else. He's the original style king of all times..Rajni is a crispier version of Sivaji Ganesan except Rajni's romantic close-ups..he is so eeewww... Kamal takes enormous efforts to hide any resemblance to Sivaji and MGR..Vijay can't act for nuts, but over the he evolved to be a wonderful dancer after Prabhu deva.- incidentally please see Sivaji ganesan's engE nimmadhi choreography..such a master.. Prakash roy has an immense and penetrating and very effective vocal cords for dialog delivery and I agree is a good actor but only 6 compared to Sivaji's 10, IMHO

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 am

Sivaji Ganesan always overacted. I don't blame him because that was the era in which actors coming out of stage dramas ruled the roost. If you want to pick and choose movies of any actor, you are bound to come up with one or two in which he was very good.

Kamal under a strong director is a much better actor. He overdoes when he self-directs or he is under a weak dummy director.
Rajapaarvai, Devar magan.. he was outstanding. I remember Sivaji commenting after Devar Magan. He said something like, 'I just stood there and everyone is praising me for great acting'. That's the difference in era talking.

I can safely say that no one among the recent crop is good. Vikram is okay in few movies, but he also started overdoing his acting.

10 kaasukku nadi appadinna ellorum 1 lakhukku nadippanga.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 am

garam_kuta wrote:

best you say ???? there's only one - Sivaji Ganesan. see navarathiri and gauravam to see how he can do the entire spectrum-over, under, normal anything you want..when you see him overacting in one role, you almost think the other subdued one is done by somebody else. He's the original style king of all times..Rajni is a crispier version of Sivaji Ganesan except Rajni's romantic close-ups..he is so eeewww... Kamal takes enormous efforts to hide any resemblance to Sivaji and MGR..Vijay can't act for nuts, but over the he evolved to be a wonderful dancer after Prabhu deva.- incidentally please see Sivaji ganesan's engE nimmadhi choreography..such a master.. Prakash roy has an immense and penetrating and very effective vocal cords for dialog delivery and I agree is a good actor but only 6 compared to Sivaji's 10, IMHO

I was a sivaji fan as well. But, he overacted in most cases - 9 out of 10 will agree. His and MGR's movies ran for 100 days partly due to party connection.

Prakash Raj is a pure professional. As a villain or a hero, his intensity and delivery are just right.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Since taste is obviously subjective..

In my view- Prakash Raj is a good actor..may be like a Robert De Niro, and does well in intense and serious roles (more one dimensional, more of the same), and nowhere close to "lighting up the screen" with his presence.

Well, what overacting is to some..is what I usually pay good money for..the entertaining grand dramatic performances..with captivating style and a certain flamboyance - "can't take my eyes off"..aura on screen..like a Sivaji, MGR, Rajini, Kamal! If I want low key, "acting like normal" and understated..I don't have to waste my time and money for it..all day I see real people all around me (well 90%) who simply exist as they expected to/have to..rather understated..just keep going!

*I was reading the Rushdie thread here about his easy "availability"...I like the certain "illusive" aura of great ones-actors, writers, any artist in real life..a "certain distance" they keep with the public- Sivaji, MGR, Rajini, Kamal..kept/keep that dignified distance for the most part (no one has ever said they were rude or mean..actually they were/are quite humble from what I know) they have that privacy layer..as my grandmother used to say "don't make oneself cheap"..with too much easy access and availability.

*It's not just generational..even a few younger stars today- do keep some of that dignified distance- make rare appearances on TV or parties.

Prakash Raj..can't seem to sell enough stuff on TV..veshtis/lungis, cell phones, jewelry..you name it..he's on- selling something all the time! May be that's why his mystique is gone (to me, anyway!)!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:54 pm

The movie I really enjoyed with Prakash Raj in the cast was "Santhosh Subramaniam"..

A nice family movie - funny and poignant!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Maria S wrote:Since taste is obviously subjective..

In my view- Prakash Raj is a good actor..may be like a Robert De Niro, and does well in intense and serious roles (more one dimensional, more of the same), and nowhere close to "lighting up the screen" with his presence.

Well, what overacting is to some..is what I usually pay good money for..the entertaining grand dramatic performances..with captivating style and a certain flamboyance - "can't take my eyes off"..aura on screen..like a Sivaji, MGR, Rajini, Kamal! If I want low key, "acting like normal" and understated..I don't have to waste my time and money for it..all day I see real people all around me (well 90%) who simply exist as they expected to/have to..rather understated..just keep going!

*I was reading the Rushdie thread here about his easy "availability"...I like the certain "illusive" aura of great ones-actors, writers, any artist in real life..a "certain distance" they keep with the public- Sivaji, MGR, Rajini, Kamal..kept/keep that dignified distance for the most part (no one has ever said they were rude or mean..actually they were/are quite humble from what I know) they have that privacy layer..as my grandmother used to say "don't make oneself cheap"..with too much easy access and availability.

*It's not just generational..even a few younger stars today- do keep some of that dignified distance- make rare appearances on TV or parties.

Prakash Raj..can't seem to sell enough stuff on TV..veshtis/lungis, cell phones, jewelry..you name it..he's on- selling something all the time! May be that's why his mystique is gone (to me, anyway!)!

uh...yeah prakash raj is like robert de niro. he will do very well in intense roles such as taxi driver and raging bull.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

uh...yeah prakash raj is like robert de niro. he will do very well in intense roles such as taxi driver and raging bull.

No no no! He can act in nuanced roles like in Heat.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

I think he'll kill it if they remake mean streets and GFII in tamil.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:15 pm

You talkin' to me, You talkin' to me DUT?

I meant those serious roles.."Like someone" does not make them that someone! Saying someone can be "like DUT"- does not make them DUT Smile !

What about Little Fockers and the other Fockers..De Niro was terrible! So he has had his share of hits and misses too.

I will defend dear Sara's admiration for his best actor:) Well, he's good..let me leave it at that!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Maria S wrote:You talkin' to me, You talkin' to me DUT?

I meant those serious roles.."Like someone" does not make them that someone! Saying someone can be "like DUT"- does not make them DUT Smile !

What about Little Fockers and the other Fockers..De Niro was terrible! So he has had his share of hits and misses too.

I will defend dear Sara's admiration for his best actor:) Well, he's good..let me leave it at that!

you can call him a poor non-iyerman's kamal hassan - from the same school of overacting disguised as method. sure.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:07 pm

he is ok as an actor but good looking in person. Sorta has piercing eyes. he definitely tends to over act. i liked him best in mozhi.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:24 pm

well, being a kannadiga I find him like a typical avg timmayya (joe). you can see similar personas throughout karnataka. Yes we have piercing eyes and overly emotional. LOL

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

I think he'll kill it if they remake mean streets and GFII in tamil.

Imagine Prakash Raj in Cape Fear (newer one). His back tattooed with religious symbols and him doing pushups. Reminds me of Uncle Leo from Seinfeld. In one episode he ends up in jail and they show him doing pushups just like De niro. Lolu.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Totally agree..

Kamal was good in Nayagan and maybe most of his comedy flicks are very entertaining...his comedy timing was good in Tenali( got to give credit to his co-star Jayaram,their combo was too good) in fact in many scenes Jayaram's acting skills takes over Kamal's...

I saw Prakash Raj movie- Arrai yen something kadavul...good one

simple acting but reachable..
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 am

kamal hassan = overacting
prakash raj = prakash who?
shivaji ganeshan = shivaji what?
MGR = eh?
sooooper doooooper superstar rajinikantham = now we are talking acting, baby.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:17 am

Prakash Raj is not just a Tamil actor. He is a major actor in all the south indian films. Acts in other language movies too. He never lets his dialogues to be dubbed. He gives his own voice, whatever the language be. He can speak many languages. Speaks fluently in telugu too. Hard to believe that he's a non-telugu. His mother tongue is tulu. Saw him in an interview, he says 'give me 6 months. I can learn any language fluently.' Watching his interview was a pleasure. Has a great personality, insight, confidence and is very intelligent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 am

kinnera wrote:Prakash Raj .... Has a great personality, insight, confidence and is very intelligent.

>>>In other words, your average CH'er! Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 am

______

Sure..and of course adding the good looks and "really, really" into SI-NI Synthesis..to apparently the point he is called a "Bollywood star"..when he has acted in lots of SI movies!

(May be the average "mid age" CHer wants to marry a younger lady called Pony too (who knows!)

http://www.makli.us/prakash-raj-wedding-0053844/
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 am

Maria S wrote:>>>In other words, your average CH'er! Smile

______

Sure..and of course adding the good looks and "really, really" into SI-NI Synthesis..to apparently the point he is called a "Bollywood star"..when he has acted in lots of SI movies!

(May be the average "mid age" CHer wants to marry a younger lady called Pony too (who knows!)

http://www.makli.us/prakash-raj-wedding-0053844/

Easier to get a pony for your birthday than a boy toy for the "mid age" CHAunties?

Last edited by Hellsangel on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:46 am

Unfortunate name - 'Pony'.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:51 am

Kris wrote:
kinnera wrote:Prakash Raj .... Has a great personality, insight, confidence and is very intelligent.

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:53 am

I don't know. Whatever makes people happy! Mid-age is reality, don't know what CHAunties are..don't want to know!

The name "Pony" is cute, imo!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 am

Impedimenta wrote:he is ok as an actor but good looking in person. Sorta has piercing eyes. he definitely tends to over act. i liked him best in mozhi.

rest of the story please. even though i have no clue who we talking about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 am

Another Brick wrote:kamal hassan = overacting
prakash raj = prakash who?
shivaji ganeshan = shivaji what?
MGR = eh?
sooooper doooooper superstar rajinikantham = now we are talking acting, baby.

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:00 am

saw wedding pic of Prakash Raj. slowly slowly, my definition of 'good looking' is getting seriously warped, thanks to reading such claims, and trying to believe them. Need a major hollywood/bollywood eye-candy therapy for retuning it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:02 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Kris wrote:

Rolling Eyes

>>>> Ouch! BTW, "great personality" always, always = disaster!, when it came to blind dates.
That and "she is a great conversationalist"!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:02 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:saw wedding pic of Prakash Raj. slowly slowly, my definition of 'good looking' is getting seriously warped, thanks to reading such claims, and trying to believe them. Need a major hollywood/bollywood eye-candy therapy for retuning it.
Google images of George Clooney and Jon Hamm again.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down