Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2012 TAZ Award for Outstanding Parsimony

5 posters

Go down

The 2012 TAZ Award for Outstanding Parsimony Empty The 2012 TAZ Award for Outstanding Parsimony

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:26 am

Pls submit your nominations.

My own entry for the jury's consideration:

3 grey t-shirts (with various patriotic prints) purchased for $5 each in July 2005 (at K-Mart's Independence Day sale)continue to go strong, 7 yrs later. I wear them everyday during my morning walk, at the gym or when lounging at home, spl over weekends. The prints are now totally faded (these colors don't run..but they do fade) but the seams are holding strong. Last week, I finally noticed a small hole appear in the arm-pits of all three, from fabric wear. But I reckoned nobody's going to peek up my armpits so I'm not discarding them anytime soon.

I reckon I've cumulatively spent nearly 12,000 hrs clad in one of these t-shirts since the purchase, which is 500 days. The $15 expenditure translates into 3 cents a day. Beat that.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

The 2012 TAZ Award for Outstanding Parsimony Empty Re: The 2012 TAZ Award for Outstanding Parsimony

Post by Another Brick Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:25 am

fruit of the loom sports socks from wal-mart. purchased them some 4 years ago and have used them for all of my tennis games when i was in the US and then again for my exercise while in India. i think i had purchased 4 pairs and i continue to use two of them even today.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

The 2012 TAZ Award for Outstanding Parsimony Empty Re: The 2012 TAZ Award for Outstanding Parsimony

Post by Kris Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Pls submit your nominations.

My own entry for the jury's consideration:

3 grey t-shirts (with various patriotic prints) purchased for $5 each in July 2005 (at K-Mart's Independence Day sale)continue to go strong, 7 yrs later. I wear them everyday during my morning walk, at the gym or when lounging at home, spl over weekends. The prints are now totally faded (these colors don't run..but they do fade) but the seams are holding strong. Last week, I finally noticed a small hole appear in the arm-pits of all three, from fabric wear. But I reckoned nobody's going to peek up my armpits so I'm not discarding them anytime soon.

I reckon I've cumulatively spent nearly 12,000 hrs clad in one of these t-shirts since the purchase, which is 500 days. The $15 expenditure translates into 3 cents a day. Beat that.

>>>> A couple of pairs of Khaki shorts bought in Walmart, which I find very comfortable and have had hem for a couple of years. Some leather sandals bought on a trip to India also a couple of years ago. Somehow, India has been the go-to place for me for sandals. The mrs is getting mighty irritated with the khakis, (a) from an aesthetic standpoint, (b) because she thinks they are not appropriate when someone comes over to the house. Kids agree with her on (a).

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:15 am

Another Brick wrote:fruit of the loom sports socks from wal-mart. purchased them some 4 years ago and have used them for all of my tennis games when i was in the US and then again for my exercise while in India. i think i had purchased 4 pairs and i continue to use two of them even today.

>>>> I get a few pairs of these too from Walmart every so often. They invariably go missing after a few weeks. I don't think anyone is stealing them:)-- 'tis a mystery indeed

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:00 am

1) 2 tees bought at a "factory" outlet in Bangalore circa 1999; both are faded but, not torn. Have stitched those pesky underarm holes a few times hahaha. Have worn both atleast once fortnight since then. Total cost of these shirts was INR 350. 12 years (and running) aint bad, ya?

2) Same wallet in the past decade. Gift from Dad. First salary. Many memories & still going strong. I rinse it with leather shampoo once every 2 months Very Happy

3) Same TAG watch since 2005; use it 3-4 days a week. No scratches. Still get frequent compliemnts.

Sorry no Quo Vadis stories, so failing Self Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:24 am

Richard Hed wrote:1) 2 tees bought at a "factory" outlet in Bangalore circa 1999; both are faded but, not torn. Have stitched those pesky underarm holes a few times hahaha. Have worn both atleast once fortnight since then. Total cost of these shirts was INR 350. 12 years (and running) aint bad, ya?

Darn. You beat me.

Richard Hed wrote:3) Same TAG watch since 2005; use it 3-4 days a week. No scratches. Still get frequent compliemnts.

Disqualified on grounds of use of a brandname antithetical to parsimony. If it had been a HMT watch that your dad gifted when you aced the 10th std boards, the nomination might have passed.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:30 am

Kris wrote:
>>>> ....Some leather sandals bought on a trip to India also a couple of years ago. Somehow, India has been the go-to place for me for sandals.

Oh man, you sure know how to hit the jury's buttons. If the base is not fully worn out, can you verify if they happen to be Quo Vadis sandals from Bata? And if you can also verify that you bought them for Rs 295, then you not only win the award but also get a special note of appreciation from TAZ himself.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:07 am

Richard Hed wrote:3) Same TAG watch since 2005; use it 3-4 days a week. No scratches. Still get frequent compliemnts.

Disqualified on grounds of use of a brandname antithetical to parsimony. If it had been a HMT watch that your dad gifted when you aced the 10th std boards, the nomination might have passed.[/quote]

I accept the failed nomination, man. But, isn't Quo Vadis also a brand name? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 am

set of 6 white undies bought *i am guessing Fruit of the loom* from wal mart 9 years ago . Still in pristine condition. They get used every cycle.

Same for white socks bought during the same time. Holey ones were thrown out but there are still some which are holding on.

More than the parsimony aspect, I would like to think that waistline hasn't changed drastically over 9 years.

I think TAZ will have us beat by a mile. Wait for his entry.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:
>>>> ....Some leather sandals bought on a trip to India also a couple of years ago. Somehow, India has been the go-to place for me for sandals.

Oh man, you sure know how to hit the jury's buttons. If the base is not fully worn out, can you verify if they happen to be Quo Vadis sandals from Bata? And if you can also verify that you bought them for Rs 295, then you not only win the award but also get a special note of appreciation from TAZ himself.

>>>> Hmm, not Bata and the price may be a tad higher, although this is an eye-opener. Damn, so close, yet so far. I feel like the runner-up at miss america now.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:59 am

doofus_maximus wrote:set of 6 white undies bought *i am guessing Fruit of the loom* from wal mart 9 years ago . Still in pristine condition. They get used every cycle.

Same for white socks bought during the same time. Holey ones were thrown out but there are still some which are holding on.

More than the parsimony aspect, I would like to think that waistline hasn't changed drastically over 9 years.

if the undies have been stitched, we'll forced to conduct a shawl presentation ceremony presided by the great TAZ himself. shilpa shetty will be photographed getting out of her early model ambassador with holes in her undies at the said ceremony.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:set of 6 white undies bought *i am guessing Fruit of the loom* from wal mart 9 years ago . Still in pristine condition. They get used every cycle.

. shilpa shetty will be photographed getting out of her early model ambassador with holes in her undies at the said ceremony.

>>>LOL! On the other hand, don't know if I like this visual.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:05 am

Kris wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

. shilpa shetty will be photographed getting out of her early model ambassador with holes in her undies at the said ceremony.

would you like it better if TAZ himself displayed the holes in his undies, ala britney spears during her crazy years? I thought not.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:07 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Kris wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

would you like it better if TAZ himself displayed the holes in his undies, ala britney spears during her crazy years? I thought not.

>>>>>ROFL

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down