Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The more things change..the more they stay the same..

4 posters

Go down

The more things change..the more they stay the same.. Empty The more things change..the more they stay the same..

Post by Maria S Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:54 am

The more things change..the more they stay the same..

*Jayalalithaa..seems to have "revoked" her own orders..and inching towards embracing Sasikala fully again..that "I want to serve her forever" plea from her old BFF in the past few weeks, and now sister..seems to have worked...well, only to those who did not see all the high drama between these two friendbirds, I mean sisters!Smile

http://flashnewstoday.com/index.php/jayalalitha-revokes-party-expulsion-of-close-aide-sasikala/

*A more tragic case..

Heard not too long ago about this tragic case of Ms. Kaur... a Minister mother involved in the kidnapping and murder of her OWN pregnant daughter in 2000 "in name of honor" is very disturbing - because she married and became pregnant by someone she did not approve. Apparently the daughter was forced to abort the late trimester pregnancy- the procedure was performed by untrained people..was botched, and the young woman died and was hastily cremated. To me the prison sentence here seems so light. Human beings..sometimes so selfish and cruel.

Somehow it seems so much more cruel and tragic when a mother is involved.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/cbi-court-sends-punjab-minister-bibi-jagir-kaur-115819920.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

The more things change..the more they stay the same.. Empty Re: The more things change..the more they stay the same..

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:09 am

===> There was the case of a Sikh girl from Canada who fell in love with an auto rickshaw driver in Jullandhar when the family was on a trip to India. She secretly married him. When the girl went to India for a trip on her own, her mother in Canada got her killed.

No wonder SI men do not mess around with Sikh girls.

SI man-Sikh woman is not a reality.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

The more things change..the more they stay the same.. Empty Re: The more things change..the more they stay the same..

Post by chameli Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:52 am

thats not the issue mulai ...

ths issue is that of honor killings and restricted freedom for women

terrible

PS I dont think northern women or men are interested in southern men or women

fyi
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:56 am

I wanted to..but it's hard to even make any humorous remark about SI men and their messing around habits- since this is in the context of violence and honor killings.

Sometimes, it is frustrating to see women (NI or SI- even the educated) play a role and not have any respect, empathy or compassion for other women- in the gender issues/problems they themselves have had to deal with- be it dowry, sex selection, female infanticide, or honor killings etc. They help to perpetuate the problems..keep the cycles of disrespect, abuse, violence continue.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:27 am

sure Maria .men being men and knowing their lecherous ways both SI and NI men fool around

Looks like the NI women are hotter sexually or rebellious ..so as to seek clandesitne relations with men not approved by their families whereas the SI women fall in line ..

remember they also have to deal with marrying their relatives uncle and all

must not be easy on them
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:55 am

Chameli,

You are certainly an interesting person and poster..and I can agree with you on a lot of things!

But, (Yes, here comes the but!)..leaving aside comparisons..SI women are plenty sassy, brave, rebellious and Yes Ma'am - hot Smile !

There can be a long discusssion about marrying a relative, which is still a tradition in some SI communities..medically one can argue against Consanguinity (and the possible medical -genetic manifestations), however, some views are based on cultural perspectives as well, people (for and against) already have their minds made up..so it won't make any difference! To me- it's not superior/ideal..but, having grown up in the South - and having plenty of exposure to such marriages all around me...friends- even in medical college married relatives ..did not see any incestual/perverted angles in legal marriages- they were/are some of the most healthy and well adjusted couples/families.Of course, it is not as common anymore..but, I know of at least a few marriages in the past year..all well educated men and women..who married distant relatives.

You and others are certainly entitled to your views and can disagree!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:03 pm

chameli wrote:sure Maria .men being men and knowing their lecherous ways both SI and NI men fool around

Looks like the NI women are hotter sexually or rebellious ..so as to seek clandesitne relations with men not approved by their families whereas the SI women fall in line ..

remember they also have to deal with marrying their relatives uncle and all

must not be easy on them

on the other hand northindian women may have to deal with having, forced sometimes, to be available to multiple men because of their relative sparseness in the population. in some places like haryana, punjab, and delhi the sex ratios are abysmally low.

you might find this informative: http://poolabala.blogspot.com/2012/01/matrix-draupadi_23.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:43 pm

maria dear ,

i am not being critical and u dont have to defend so vehemently

note i did not say the relationships were perverted ..its just the culture in that region to marry relatives and i understand why ..[to keep the wealth in the family ]..i get it

about SI women being hot ..there are exceptions but by far and large... no .

i like u too

let us agree to disagree
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:12 am

Dear Chameli,

Certainly preserving family wealth and ties are one reason for arranged marriages between relatives. But, these marriages are not limited to religion, caste, class..and there are love marriages too. Sometimes it's like in any love marriage- the families may not have good relationships, and may come around only because there is no choice and let the couple get married, or there may distance themselves, become more hostile and remain estranged.

Anyways, we can certainly agree to disagree!

You are quite versatile..and it's nice to interact with you too:D!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down