Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naan oru run dhadave sonna (cricket)

5 posters

Go down

Naan oru run dhadave sonna (cricket) Empty Naan oru run dhadave sonna (cricket)

Post by Another Brick Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:07 am

now i know why r ashwin moves like jimmy carter (of today) on the field. it is all that curd rice that's making him feel sleepy. and here's what r ashwin really meant -

Naan oru dhadave sonna, nooru dhadave sonna madri (as in, if i have said saved one (run), i have said saved 100 (runs))

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Naan oru run dhadave sonna (cricket) Empty Re: Naan oru run dhadave sonna (cricket)

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

You need to be a Tam Brahm or have grown up with Tam Brahms to know what he is talking about. Curd rice with oorugai after many days of food from other parts of country/world is a thing to die for.

Cricinfo patron comments about Ashwin's statement about SRT are hilarious.

PS: I am not a Tam Brahm and I am bigger fan of Ashwin because he quoted Baasha.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Naan oru run dhadave sonna (cricket) Empty Re: Naan oru run dhadave sonna (cricket)

Post by Another Brick Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:28 am

i have to taste this tambram curd rice one of these days. i get curd rice made by a saooooth indian caterer here, but i suspect there isn't anything tambramish about it.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 am

I think Max or someone else elaborated on the different varieties of curd rice in the old forum. I was talking about simple rice, home made yogurt and home made pickal. Comfort food, soul food.. you can call it what you want but it hits the spot just right.

My boss is a Japanese-Canadian. He had a huge family and when he was little his mom used to pack snacks for road trips that their family took. The snack was this sushi type rolls (not exactly Sushi). He found this Japanese fast food type place in Detroit Airport which sells them. Every time he travels he buys a whole lot because he calls it his comfort food/soul food. It reminds him of his childhood days and the family road trips.

Exactly the same for me with curd-rice. lol!
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:.... Every time he travels he buys a whole lot because he calls it his comfort food/soul food. It reminds him of his childhood days and the family road trips.

>>>What? You buy curd rice at the airport and reminisce about his family road trips? Smile To wax serious for a moment, I like fruit yogurt and plain yogurt as a side with roti, but don't care too much for curd with rice. On the rare occasion I have it, it puts me to sleep right away.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 pm

IPL 5 Opening match Mumbai vs CSK

"Aandavan ketavangaluku keetadellam koduppaaru aana kadisila kai vitturuvar... aana nalavangala romba sodhiparru ... aana kadaisi varaikum kaividamattaru"!!
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:03 am

doofus_maximus wrote:You need to be a Tam Brahm or have grown up with Tam Brahms to know what he is talking about. Curd rice with oorugai after many days of food from other parts of country/world is a thing to die for.

PS: I am not a Tam Brahm and I am bigger fan of Ashwin because he quoted Baasha.

Whether you are from Tambaram or Telugu Brahmin street, does not make much difference....Razz

Thayirunjaaa (with Maavadu, maravalli kezhanghu or Maanga inji or jimble lemon pickle) is great...but then the iyengars put hot rice in thayir and call them Bhagala bath (?) - nawww....that is no goodly.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:06 am

Kris wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:.... Every time he travels he buys a whole lot because he calls it his comfort food/soul food. It reminds him of his childhood days and the family road trips.

>>>What? You buy curd rice at the airport and reminisce about his family road trips? Smile To wax serious for a moment, I like fruit yogurt and plain yogurt as a side with roti, but don't care too much for curd with rice. On the rare occasion I have it, it puts me to sleep right away.

Did you not understand it or was it in jest?

fruit yogurt with roti sounds too Naarth Indianish for me.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:You need to be a Tam Brahm or have grown up with Tam Brahms to know what he is talking about. Curd rice with oorugai after many days of food from other parts of country/world is a thing to die for.

Whether you are from Tambaram or Telugu Brahmin street, does not make much difference....Razz

Thayirunjaaa (with Maavadu, maravalli kezhanghu or Maanga inji or jimble lemon pickle) is great...but then the iyengars put hot rice in thayir and call them Bhagala bath (?) - nawww....that is no goodly.

Pickle these days have come to mean the crap doled out from Priya
bottles, even in India. No one takes the time to prepare proper home
made pickles.

Maravalli kizhangu oorugai is a thing of beauty.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:18 am

There is this Iyengar friend of mine who would drop by my house all the time. My mom always saved maravalli kezhangu oorugai for him - his complaint was his mom did not know how to make it.

--of course, he now claims his wife does not know how to make it also.

BTW, I never like this Maravalli kezhangu oorughai and preferred MaangaInji, thakkaali (Telugus are best), vengaiyum, and paavakaai oorughai anyday.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down