Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an unusual phenom

5 posters

Go down

an unusual phenom Empty an unusual phenom

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:19 pm

those of you who prepped for engineering entrance exams in the 80s and 90s will know what i'm talking about. there are some turn of the century (i mean very early 20th century vintage) british textbooks on trig, coordinate geometry, algebra etc. that nobody outside of india remembers today. but they're more popular than ever today in india. while the rest of the world's middle and high schoolers have moved on to (including the brits) verbose and colorful textbooks, indians still seem to love these terse little volumes to death. really weird.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

an unusual phenom Empty Re: an unusual phenom

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 pm

===> In fact I have used an algebra textbook which was published in 1942. It was used by my sister when she went to high school. You can guess how old I am.

BTW I came across a tenth edition of a statistics book which was published in England in 1932. The very first edition was printed in 1909. The irony is that the quality of those books are much better than any Indian textbook.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> In fact I have used an algebra textbook which was published in 1942. It was used by my sister when she went to high school. You can guess how old I am.

BTW I came across a tenth edition of a statistics book which was published in England in 1932. The very first edition was printed in 1909. The irony is that the quality of those books are much better than any Indian textbook.

>>>need more info. AD or BC? Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:42 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> In fact I have used an algebra textbook which was published in 1942. It was used by my sister when she went to high school. You can guess how old I am.

I use a Funk & Wagner 1920 English dictionary. If I cannot find a word, I refer to my pillow size 1954 Websters

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:33 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I use a Funk & Wagner 1920 English dictionary. If I cannot find a word, I refer to my pillow size 1954 Websters

Very smart unkil. Do you similarly refer to a 1965 telephone directory and if you can't find a listing, refer to your latest, 1979 edition?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:35 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I use a Funk & Wagner 1920 English dictionary. If I cannot find a word, I refer to my pillow size 1954 Websters

Very smart unkil. Do you similarly refer to a 1965 telephone directory and if you can't find a listing, refer to your latest, 1979 edition?

Not 1979....but 1988 edition.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down