Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fascinating discussion on free markets and their moral limits

Go down

Fascinating discussion on free markets and their moral limits Empty Fascinating discussion on free markets and their moral limits

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:47 am

On my commute today I had the radio tuned to Sirius radio's POTUS channel. On Pete Dominick's usually excellent show called Stand Up!, they had on a guy called Mike Sandel. Sandel is a professor of political philosophy and government at Harvard, and he has written a book called What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets. I still have to read the book, but I found the topics that Sandel touched on fascinating. Some of the examples included: the vote as a marketable commodity, markets for incarceration, markets for admission to Congressional hearings (where "stand in line" companies have homeless people queuing up for seats at Congressional hearings and Supreme Court oral arguments, which they then sell to lobbyists or anyone else who wants to be in the room). Sandel gave a lecture at Oxford in 1998 with the same title, which is available in full online. The audio of the show will become available tomorrow at http://standupwithpetedominick.com/content/segments/audio. Dominick mentioned that Sandel will be a guest soon at The Colbert Report -- should make for interesting viewing.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down