Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dads dads, what to do about them?

3 posters

Go down

dads dads, what to do about them? Empty dads dads, what to do about them?

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:39 pm

why do they have to get all competetive and yelling? Evil or Very Mad

banned hoosband from all of son's future baseball games.

Back to top Go down

dads dads, what to do about them? Empty Re: dads dads, what to do about them?

Post by Kris Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:why do they have to get all competetive and yelling? Evil or Very Mad

>>>Went to my son's high school football game a few months back. It was a big one with their cross-town rivals, but a social occasion for most of the kids. My kids were nowhere to be seen. I went and stood by the end zone and the team was playing abysmally. I suddenly felt the urge to run in and carry the ball to their end zone. Heck, I am nt even that athletic.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:02 pm

Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:why do they have to get all competetive and yelling? Evil or Very Mad

>>>Went to my son's high school football game a few months back. It was a big one with their cross-town rivals, but a social occasion for most of the kids. My kids were nowhere to be seen. I went and stood by the end zone and the team was playing abysmally. I suddenly felt the urge to run in and carry the ball to their end zone. Heck, I am nt even that athletic.

LOL, I can imagine that.

One correction in case there is confusion, *I* banned him, not them. I actually left the game in the middle coz of this Rolling Eyes (well, also coz I was too cold).

But, bad move, coz sonny got major lectures on the way home. My baby. Was all emotional by the time they got home, even though their team won!! He's just 7! I did make the dad say sorry to him. He is still banned though. Evil or Very Mad Told him I will take care of his practises myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Kris wrote:

LOL, I can imagine that.

One correction in case there is confusion, *I* banned him, not them. I actually left the game in the middle coz of this Rolling Eyes (well, also coz I was too cold).

But, bad move, coz sonny got major lectures on the way home. My baby. Was all emotional by the time they got home, even though their team won!! He's just 7! I did make the dad say sorry to him. He is still banned though. Evil or Very Mad Told him I will take care of his practises myself.

>>> it got worse -- they hitched a ride home with me with anothe friend. I said 'you guys were horrible'. Answer: " yeah, we know, got slaughtered- checked the score at half time! " That was it! No big deal. So much for team spirit and all that.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Usually it the other way around at our house. Dad plays in competition and we cheer...DS takes pictures, I take Vid (at least I pretend to) and DD cheers. They never made it to the third place yet. DS doesn't allow his Dad to watch his games...they have some deal and I never bothered about it. I am usually the media person. Since he stays home, DS stays home as well. Whenever I am game/dance - none of the family is allowed.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 am

Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
Kris wrote:

LOL, I can imagine that.

>>> it got worse -- they hitched a ride home with me with anothe friend. I said 'you guys were horrible'. Answer: " yeah, we know, got slaughtered- checked the score at half time! " That was it! No big deal. So much for team spirit and all that.

Well... Talking about sports... school had to send teams for Kho-Kho and football tournaments. There was no regular team and a quick team was formed from other teams. School had great TT and cricket teams but was dud in other schools (one of those super-duper bookish iSchools). So I was drafted as part of both these NEW teams. One evening of practice... went to Kho-Kho tournment (district - level). we came runner up - after our opponents did not show up for the previous 2 rounds - was beaten humiliatingly in the final.

Then we went to the Football tournament - First match we were beaten 6-0. We gave a walkover to our opponent at the half time.

Hey we did not care, bcz we were more worried about ciricket and table-tennis.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 01, 2012 12:47 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
Kris wrote:

LOL, I can imagine that.

Well... Talking about sports... school had to send teams for Kho-Kho and football tournaments. There was no regular team and a quick team was formed from other teams. School had great TT and cricket teams but was dud in other schools (one of those super-duper bookish iSchools). So I was drafted as part of both these NEW teams. One evening of practice... went to Kho-Kho tournment (district - level). we came runner up - after our opponents did not show up for the previous 2 rounds - was beaten humiliatingly in the final.

Then we went to the Football tournament - First match we were beaten 6-0. We gave a walkover to our opponent at the half time.

>>>> Not that I had a stellar career as an athlete, but the very first school match I had to go into bat, didn't have a guard on (not many to go around in that fine academic establishment). Needless to say, got out at zero. Don't have much of a recollection after that- must not have been worth remembering. One thing, it pissed off the NCC guy, since he thought I was dropping out of NCC for cricket. Now that I think about it, before that they also had special sanskrit classes in the evenings at our school. This was in 8th grade. I signed up and again, didn't go after a few classes. Reason: you guessed it. Later it was alliance francaise- I did complete a term I think. Helped me with the accent and pronunciation, since the woman who taught it was from france, unlike the lecturer at college who was from pondicherry. The class cost money which my mother had to scrape up. Real reason for this class: let's say it wasn't a sudden interest in speaking parisian french. Did pay off in the long run though; my summer job during grad school was in the international dept of a bank, whose employees knew even less french than I did.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 am

It's the other way around in my household. I used to be a nervous wreck when sonny participated in the chess tournaments. My heart pounds, palms get sweaty, mouth dries up, keep biting my lips, and overall i feel so paralysed. So yeah, I'm banned from being anywhere near the trnmt site. I'm relegated to the recreation room for the most part. Hubby, on the other hand, is like a maha rishi, totally in control.
It's even worse for the big ones. For his Nationals, I didn't leave the hotel room for the most part(the grand opry mills, tn. lovely hotel that) and for the GA state levels, I stayed back home. Didn't even go.

Ah....all those nerve wracking and exhilarating times! Were so good. I dream about seeing him as a grand master. But alas! he hasn't been playing much in the past coupla yrs. Been so busy with his academics in high school. No time for other stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>> Not that I had a stellar career as an athlete, but the very first school match I had to go into bat, didn't have a guard on (not many to go around in that fine academic establishment). Needless to say, got out at zero. Don't have much of a recollection after that- must not have been worth remembering. One thing, it pissed off the NCC guy, since he thought I was dropping out of NCC for cricket. Now that I think about it, before that they also had special sanskrit classes in the evenings at our school. This was in 8th grade. I signed up and again, didn't go after a few classes. Reason: you guessed it. Later it was alliance francaise- I did complete a term I think. Helped me with the accent and pronunciation, since the woman who taught it was from france, unlike the lecturer at college who was from pondicherry. The class cost money which my mother had to scrape up. Real reason for this class: let's say it wasn't a sudden interest in speaking parisian french. Did pay off in the long run though; my summer job during grad school was in the international dept of a bank, whose employees knew even less french than I did.

I was actually pretty good in ciricket and TT. My vey first cricket match I opened - I was that skinny little boy who could hardly lift the bat - I smacked the first ball thro the covers and scored 30 out of a 47 opening stand in 20 flat minutes. The coach was panicked and gave me a big lecture on not hitting out as the next match was against established, traditional champions. Of course, I played for 1 1/2 hours for 19 runs, but we won and in the final I scored 1 run playing an entire hour. I never hit like that ever and became a boring opener.

I was so much into extra activities, my dad totally gave up on me.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue May 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Kris wrote:

I was actually pretty good in ciricket and TT. My vey first cricket match I opened - I was that skinny little boy who could hardly lift the bat - I smacked the first ball thro the covers and scored 30 out of a 47 opening stand in 20 flat minutes. The coach was panicked and gave me a big lecture on not hitting out as the next match was against established, traditional champions. Of course, I played for 1 1/2 hours for 19 runs, but we won and in the final I scored 1 run playing an entire hour. I never hit like that ever and became a boring opener.

I was so much into extra activities, my dad totally gave up on me.

I think most Desi Dads never got a chance to play any sports in their childhood and at their 40s (which is new 20s of course) they over do it. Please its never too late - join a sport and participate in tournaments....good for the soul.,

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue May 01, 2012 2:38 pm

I used to be kho-kho and ring ball player. My DS was bugging about this ring ball thingy and found that it is called "Tennis Ring" in US. We play that every other day if whether permits and it is fun. But I will never have an opportunity to teach them kho-kho.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Sasthi wrote:
I think most Desi Dads never got a chance to play any sports in their childhood and at their 40s (which is new 20s of course) they over do it. Please its never too late - join a sport and participate in tournaments....good for the soul.,

You were so right about desi dads. It is funny to see them play tennis with such unnatural, awkward looking strokes.

I was a good observer and practically played most sports naturally. played for Badminiton and volleyball school teams as well (minimally). Even played field hockey for only one day and I loved it. The School PD (physical director) wanted me to come regularly - but...duh... I was already married to ciricket and TT.

yeah.. I was good at tennikoit (or whatever), sozhi and nondi, the girls would not include me ...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue May 01, 2012 3:15 pm

I used to play badminton too.

You were married to cricket and TT? And we haven't heared your fame name in our ears...India lost a valuable cricket player.

I have no clue about sozhi, tennikoit...and nondi is paandi. Lagori/Kannamochi is what I remember playing with boys.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Sasthi wrote:I used to play badminton too.

You were married to cricket and TT? And we haven't heared your fame name in our ears...India lost a valuable cricket player.

I have no clue about sozhi, tennikoit...and nondi is paandi. Lagori/Kannamochi is what I remember playing with boys.

Of course...of course.... that is my favorite too......not to mention the mommy/daddy game...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue May 01, 2012 5:59 pm

yes?................................

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down