Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Idéfix
Bittu
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
7 posters

Go down

1992 Empty 1992

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 2:11 pm

Twenty years ago. Many of us were old enough to be having some specific stuff happening to us. So how was it for you? Any significant memory? Overall a good year? Bad year? Insignificant?

Any special milestone in 1992? Graduation? First gf/bf? First hookup? Wedding? Kid? Moved to the US?

Picked 1992 just coz it was exactly 20 years ago. Oh btw, most of us have been open about our ages, so not like you fear being dated.

Let me hear some, then I will type down my own.

Back to top Go down

1992 Empty Re: 1992

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 pm

In 1992 I was pushed down by 2nd grade friend when we were playing at our "International Convent matriculation Elementary School" and I broke my arm.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:In 1992 I was pushed down by 2nd grade friend when we were playing at our "International Convent matriculation Elementary School" and I broke my arm.

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri May 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I don't live in past or even dwell on it. So sorry, blank slate. I know you've already got 2000 words typed up on notepad, so please past here so we all can enjoy reading it...

1991 aur 1993 ka bhi jod sakti ho us mein... Smile

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Bittu wrote:I don't live in past or even dwell on it. So sorry, blank slate. I know you've already got 2000 words typed up on notepad, so please past here so we all can enjoy reading it...

1991 aur 1993 ka bhi jod sakti ho us mein... Smile

hahaha, no not typed anything yet. Let me see. In 1992 you boarded the boat to amrika?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Actually, it's a fun exercise once you start thinking about a certain year in your life. Like I did for 1986 here

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/midlife-crisis-1010554.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Actually, it's a fun exercise once you start thinking about a certain year in your life. Like I did for 1986 here

ROFLLL@my conversations with bittu in that thread. Nice to be reading old stuff.

btw, i was a new mom in 1992...a clumsy, exhausted, but proud mom of a beautiful baby boy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 pm

kinnera wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:Actually, it's a fun exercise once you start thinking about a certain year in your life. Like I did for 1986 here

ROFLLL@my conversations with bittu in that thread. Nice to be reading old stuff.

btw, i was a new mom in 1992...a clumsy, exhausted, but proud mom of a beautiful baby boy!

Oh ya. He turned 20 late last year. So ya, baby through 92. I was that way all of 99. Cherish that period so much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 3:10 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
kinnera wrote:

Oh ya. He turned 20 late last year. So ya, baby through 92. I was that way all of 99. Cherish that period so much.

Yup, like both your kids, mine were born at the end of the yr too. One in nov, one in dec.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 4:16 pm

k no one's playing. Let me do my highlights.

• Turned 19 in the summer.

• First half of the year went by lazily. All I was doing was prepping for the entrance exams. Second half of 1991 was all wasted, as I didn't study all that much. Also spent one month enjoying sister's wedding. So this year was when I dug deep into studying. I hit the basic text books of 11th and 12th start to finish. Math, entire Feb. Physics, entire March, and Chem, entire April. Then crazy multiple choice practices in May until the exams.

• Got bit by a dog for the first time. Friend's dog. Used to go to her place for studies. Most obnoxious and bad tempered dog I have ever seen. Once I went to her place, and he got let loose. Came to me barking. Just as he was to bite me, I flung the bag in my hand at him, and he got thrown a couple of feet away. I was now enemy #1. Sometimes, I used to ring a door bell at her place, and he would come running out. I used to run across the street, and would climb up on any car there, thus escaping bites by seconds. And I would sit there until somebody took him away. But one day we were sitting on her desk and studying. Her dad brought him along to maybe make us patch up. He acted all good. Uncle was happy. But then he got under the table and bit me. Uncle washed off the wound with soap and water. We forgot about it. But 2 months later someone got my mom paranoid. So I was given anti-whatever shots. Luckily it was just one shot, and took it in my arm, not 14 in stomach like old times. I loved dogs, but that's that only one I truly hated. One day when friend called me tearfully, and said that Honey (the dog) died, I had to try hard not to say, 'chalo achcha hua'.

• Went out on a trip on my own to Bombay after my exams, to spend time with dad's friend's family. Best two weeks I have had in a long time. Was so much fun. Was 18, and hence allowed in the pubs. Saw Bombay night life for the first time. Went out with a bunch of folks in their twenties, friends of uncle's older daughter. Wore my friend's short dress. The older daughter did some make up on me coz they all thought I looked 14! All my protests were met with a shush. Looked fairly sexy, if I may say so myself. They all said so too. Went to 2-3 pubs. Got a chance to see so many glam model types. It's a hub of beautiful people. Even uncle's older daughter encouraged me to take gin/vodka in the pubs. Another friend, younger to me was having it too. But like a good girl, I stuck to coke. Did all-nighters a couple of times, or would just go out some famous juice place somewhere (forgot) at like 4:00 am!! Went with friends to different university places as she was trying to get admissions in them. Ate out pretty much everyday. Some chinese place everyday. Never got tired of it. Did so much shopping. Yep. Fun.

• Started my BE. When we went to the school to get our placements, the boys there were standing with dholaks. everytime a new girl walked in, they would start playing the dholak and dancing. My then-friend-now-husband had warned me already that this is gonna happen, and which boy was doing it the most for me. But to actually enter the college was something. I had gone with my friend (the dog one), with her dad in their minivan. We hesitated for like 5 minutes before getting out of the car. As usual, she cursed me for attracting so much attention and embarrasing her in front of her dad, coz the welcome music had gone on up until we disappeared inside a room, and we were desperately wishing to become invisible.

• First semester was fun. But there was some ugly ragging that the boys of my class got involved in. Some complains were made, and some seniors were suspended. They spent the rest of the year trying to get it out from us on who complained. So it was scary. All the boys knew, we girls were told much later. But loyal that I am, I never told K too, who was a friend of the suspended guys. Anyway, there were major boycotts, and the school was closed down for 2 days, and all our parents were called in with us, to talk to the principle/HOD, and were told what was going on. My dad came to the school, and boy what a racket that was, coz everyone who knew me scrambled to see him, while dad was totally unaware of what was going on. Incidentally, this was the last year ever that kids were ragged in my school violently (atleast the non-boarders). Whatever interactions happened when my batch turned senior, were all fun, and the trend was set.

• Exams were in early December. I didn't study much of course. I was least prepared for the physics exams, which was the last one. But the babri masjid saved me. Schools closed down for a month coz of the riots and the rest of the exams and practicals took place in early Jan next year. I spent the entire month meeting my then-bf-now-ex. Managed to scrape through physics with very low marks, inspite of one-month "prep-time". But, was the most fun dates I had with him in short span. It was also the beginning of the end for us. I could sense it somehow. We did split 4 months later.

Am now thinking, overall it was a very good year. Maybe coz one of the worst years of my life, 1993 was coming up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri May 04, 2012 4:37 pm

"Maybe coz one of the worst years of my life, 1993 was coming up."

so much suspense...drama...nail biting anticipation......GO ON PLS...can't leave us hanging HERE....can you??

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Bittu wrote:"Maybe coz one of the worst years of my life, 1993 was coming up."

so much suspense...drama...nail biting anticipation......GO ON PLS...can't leave us hanging HERE....can you??

LOL, if you keep me talking, I just might. Tell me ONE thing that you remember from 1992.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri May 04, 2012 5:22 pm

I remember falling off my Bullet motorbike in 1992. It fell on my right hand. To this day I have some random aches and pains in that hand.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Bittu wrote:I remember falling off my Bullet motorbike in 1992. It fell on my right hand. To this day I have some random aches and pains in that hand.

ouch. that must have hurt. Did you fracture it? This reminds me, I also had a luna accident. must have been 1992, coz I was with friends that i had made in the coaching class. this cycle guy merged on the road and bumped into me. rolled down the road. Yep that hurt too. Most accidents in india are low risks, coz of low speed, but it feels so utterly stupid to fall on the road and literally taste the dust. Not to mention the giggles that your friends are trying to suppress, once they know that you are ok.

Also, forgot to mention these friends in 1992, and how we were the group of geeks were always quizzing each other, sometimes we would go to coffeehouses after the classes and hangout. Coming from an all-girls school, this was the first co-ed experience for me. It's funny how I am forgetting one guy's name, but still remember his birthdate that we celebrated together.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 04, 2012 10:26 pm

1992 was the year that Queen Elizabeth described as an annus horribilis. (Her children divorced their spouses and her favorite palace burnt down.) Other horrible things happened in that year, like the demolition of Babri Masjid and the riots that followed, and the Harshad Mehta scam. But 1992 was a good year for me personally.

It was the year when I moved from the small suburban school where I studied until 10th grade, and joined one of the more prestigious "junior colleges" for my two "intermediate" years. Through the 10th grade "public exams" and the junior college entrance tests that followed, I realized that I could aim for bigger things in life than I was planning on. When I started at the junior college, the physics teacher asked each student to stand up and introduce himself (it was a boys-only institution at the time), with a statement about what they wanted to accomplish in future. At least two of every three students stood up and said, "I want to get into IIT." I had to ask my neighbor later what IIT was. Over the next month or so, I discovered the whole world of IIT-JEE and JEE coaching: Ramayya, Krishnamurti, Brilliant Tutorials, Agarwal Classes, etc.

It was in 1992 that I began learning conversational English. I was good at writing in English -- good enough to win an essay-writing contest at the junior college -- but far from fluent in speaking the language. None of the teachers at my old school spoke English, but almost everyone at the junior college spoke good English. It took me a few months to learn to speak English confidently.

The best thing about 1992: that was the year that I learned the ins and outs of the excellent bus system in Hyderabad. I had to travel an hour each way in 2-3 buses to get to school, so I quickly became comfortable navigating my own way around the city. And I had a monthly bus-pass which meant I didn't have to pay extra to go anywhere I pleased. That gave me a sense of independence that was exhilarating.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 10:36 pm

did you join any of those coaching classes? how was it?

I remember when I had gone to Bombay in summer, two of the hottest news were the harshad mehta scam. We even drove by the building where he lived, and our driver had pointed it out to us.

Another was the killing of that gangster chhota rajan (or who was it), and talks about how smartly the cops were ending the gang wars by letting them kill each other, or staging encounters. So many movies made on this now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:did you join any of those coaching classes? how was it?
It was too late for me. By the time I knew about it, their programs were already a few months along. Another challenge was getting there at 4 am from where I lived -- there were no buses available at the time, so it was just impossible. Krishnamurti, who ran one of the two "coaching institutes" was my math teacher at the junior college, so he helped me out. I did get the materials from Brilliant and Agarwal.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 05, 2012 12:10 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Twenty years ago. Many of us were old enough to be having some specific stuff happening to us. So how was it for you? Any significant memory? Overall a good year? Bad year? Insignificant?

Any special milestone in 1992? Graduation? First gf/bf? First hookup? Wedding? Kid? Moved to the US?

Wowww....is that your picture from 1992?...you did look cute......Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 am

hahaha, that's scarlett johansson. In our own minds we women are like her, even though we look nothing like her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 am

Nice reads both trace and PP. ouch@B.

An aside: Wodering what happened to Black swan and his lady love.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2012 10:14 am

I think BS stopped meeting SM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat May 05, 2012 11:18 am

Tracy, 1993 mein kya hua tha?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2012 11:43 am

Bittu wrote:Tracy, 1993 mein kya hua tha?

lol... 1993, the first half started good. met my then-bf whole of jan. But then he started pushing me to get engaged. and I wasn't ready for that. then series of bad news starting march. I got down with chicken pox, my uncle passed away, my sis had a miscarriage, ex got engaged to another girl, and married her later that year.

On the plus side, I took driving lessons formally, and got my license. And later in the year, I kinda fell for my now-husband.

The license story is funny. One of dad's lawyer friends was to take me for my car license road test. He had taken me (with my mom) for my road test for luna (or was it learner's permit) too. He handled all small court and such matters for us. Volantarily of course. Yeah, dad hardly got involved in such stuff which could better be handled by others. One day in Feb or March, he came over to take me and his son to go for the car driving test to whatever-dmv-is-called-there.

So anyway, my uncle (who later passed away that year), was at our home, recovering from an operation. He had a visitor seeing him at the time, none other than the DCP of our city! So when uncle saw me getting ready to go out with lawyer uncle, he asked what's going on. When he learned, he asked the DCP to take care of it. I protested that I wanted to take the driving test, but I was shushed, by both uncle and the DCP. So the lawyer uncle (who was always tight lipped infront of my uncle), handed over my papers to DCP's assistant, and funnily, quietly slipped in his son's papers in there too. We later had a big laugh about it, coz lawyer uncle and his family was always so funny this way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat May 05, 2012 12:02 pm

sounds like an eventful 1993. not a worst-year-of-my-life type 1993. so anyway, post pix from 1992-93. that should be fun Wink

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2012 2:47 pm

If it hasn't been said before - THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS :-)

1992:

Left home for Boarding school; learnt to play hockey; loved Bermuda shorts, my BAS Hockey Stick and N - my childhood crush...

Learnt to roller skate - backwards - that summer; already knew how to skate. Had iron wheels "winner" brand; later moved to "Jonex" in 1993

Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar was released - and I tried jogging with stones in my socks. Bad bad idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Richard Hed wrote:If it hasn't been said before - THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS :-)

1992:

Left home for Boarding school; learnt to play hockey; loved Bermuda shorts, my BAS Hockey Stick and N - my childhood crush...

Learnt to roller skate - backwards - that summer; already knew how to skate. Had iron wheels "winner" brand; later moved to "Jonex" in 1993

Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar was released - and I tried jogging with stones in my socks. Bad bad idea.

oh ya. bermuda shorts. had a pair, a slightly formal one with a matching top, that ex loved and would ask me to wear them many times! In college, I had progressed to wearing salwar suits while in college, and sometimes later in the evenings too. So any change of dressing was welcome!

edit: and jjws, watched it with ex.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 06, 2012 12:26 am

In 1992 - I had a premonition that every review a CHandle "ashdoc" wrote would be gheyer than the last one...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sun May 06, 2012 12:41 am

Tamil warriors overran Mullaitivu garrison and captured huge quantities of weapons and ammunition.

This was followed by a series of successes culminating in the surrounding of one third of the Sinhala army in Jaffna in 2000, Hindian gov interfered by sending a naval armada to Jaffna coast. Tamil army withdrew and in series of defeats ending in the final defeat in 2009.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 06, 2012 9:41 am

Hey KV. Would rather hear what you did in 1992. And rather stick to 92 and around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Tamil warriors overran Mullaitivu garrison and captured huge quantities of weapons and ammunition.

This was followed by a series of successes culminating in the surrounding of one third of the Sinhala army in Jaffna in 2000, Hindian gov interfered by sending a naval armada to Jaffna coast. Tamil army withdrew and in series of defeats ending in the final defeat in 2009.

KV, the waterloo for Prabhakaran and LTTE started a year earlier, mid 1991, when they murdered Rajiv Gandhi. I think by the end of the year, Sivarasan and others were killed. Nalini gave birth to a baby girl in Jan 1992. Indian govt continued to crack down on LTTE cadres and its supporters in India the entire yr of 1992.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Twenty years ago. Many of us were old enough to be having some specific stuff happening to us. So how was it for you? Any significant memory? Overall a good year? Bad year? Insignificant?

Picked 1992 just coz it was exactly 20 years ago. Oh btw, most of us have been open about our ages, so not like you fear being dated.

Let me hear some, then I will type down my own.

>>>>I had just learned to walk and was looking forward to pre school in a couple of years.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Hey KV. Would rather hear what you did in 1992. And rather stick to 92 and around.

He is still not done with 1965. You will have to wait a long time till he covers 1992.

A prelude: Pirabhakaran was fighting his other Tamil units, recrtuiting tamil children as sodliers and waging a war to build his on Latrine. KV - the LTTE intern under Bala Singham -carried the construction maps.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by scoutfinch Sun May 06, 2012 1:25 pm

I was 9, and in class 4. The highlight of my year was that I came down with measles and missed almost a month of school. And I was also house leader that year.

scoutfinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 06, 2012 1:36 pm

[quote="Kris"]
Tracy Whitney wrote:

>>>>I had just learned to walk and was looking forward to pre school in a couple of years.

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 am

[quote="Tracy Whitney"]
Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

Rolling Eyes

*drum roll*

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon May 07, 2012 10:22 am

1992- one twowords: Nithya Mahalakshmi.

Last edited by doofus_maximus on Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Brilliant maths)
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 07, 2012 10:30 am

doofus_maximus wrote:1992- one twowords: Nithya Mahalakshmi.

googled. nothing speific jumps up.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon May 07, 2012 10:32 am

may be I should delete the post.

Posts before my 2nd coffee need a lot to be desired.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 07, 2012 10:33 am

oh, it's not some celebrity?

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 am

In 1992 she was one for me. (in tamil we call this 'vazhisal'). Please ask Max to translate.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 am

doofus_maximus wrote:In 1992 she was one for me. (in tamil we call this 'vazhisal'). Please ask Max to translate.

aww so cute. what happened next?

edit: max, what does valisal mean?

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon May 07, 2012 11:27 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:In 1992 she was one for me. (in tamil we call this 'vazhisal'). Please ask Max to translate.

aww so cute. what happened next?

edit: max, what does valisal mean?

Nothing cute.. started and ended in less than a year. Depressing.

Vazhisal means 'drooling' in one sense. But it means much more than that.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon May 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Hey KV. Would rather hear what you did in 1992. And rather stick to 92 and around.

Pazhaya naintha thamizharodu naanirunthaenee ( I was with the old, oppressed Tamils)

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:

Pazhaya naintha thamizharodu naanirunthaenee ( I was with the old, oppressed Tamils)

How abt now? Are you no longer with them or are they no longer oppressed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down