Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i like the new secretary of state

+5
Hellsangel
Idéfix
Maria S
Petrichor
MaxEntropy_Man
9 posters

Go down

i like the new secretary of state Empty i like the new secretary of state

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 09, 2012 12:31 pm

do you?

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/hillary-clinton-au-naturale-clilnton-hits-back-critics-100046773--abc-news-politics.html

good for her. respect.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

i like the new secretary of state Empty Re: i like the new secretary of state

Post by Petrichor Wed May 09, 2012 12:53 pm

She's a baller! and in touch with her feminine feminist side... Wink

i like the new secretary of state Tumblr_ltsfmyONps1qz8wiwo1_500

i like the new secretary of state 272199-u-s-secretary-of-state-hillary-clinton-speaks-to-students-at-dhaka-int

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 pm

clicking "like" for this secretary of state. she is sexy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Nice. She seems comfortable with her new image, and her confidence shows!

It has been nice to see Madam Secretary evolve in her many roles- private and public. I have evolved in how I see her too..respect and like her a lot more now.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Like.

PS: I was talking to some public policy students the other day over dinner, and they were all full of good things to say about Hillary Clinton. She has emerged as the star of the Obama administration -- not what one might have expected four years ago. She doesn't need botox or makeup; she's got a sharp brain and that's what is needed in that job. The media should stop obsessing about her looks and focus on the important issues of the day. Of course, hell will freeze over and Pakistan will abandon terrorism before that happens.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 2:13 pm

panini press wrote:The media should stop obsessing about her looks and focus on the important issues of the day. Of course, hell will freeze over and Pakistan will abandon terrorism before that happens.

i like the new secretary of state 3077217049

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed May 09, 2012 2:35 pm

What more should a 'brother' do, to sew up November?

a. Did not stupidly shut down Guantanamo
b. Got Osama
c. Neutered the Pakis
d. Pulled us out of financial brink - 'GM lives, osama dies'
e. dodd-frank
f. significant cuts to wasteful spending
g. no biden gaffes - quiet backroom dealing by biden
h. the original backroom deal with Hillary pays off - stellar performance by Hill
* Libya
* arab spring
* china blinks
* indians dont pull their usual stunts - and play team
* europe loves him

the guy couldn't have exceeded this playbook. so, vote for him already...jeez!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm

atcg wrote:What more should a 'brother' do, to sew up November?

b. Got Osama
c. Neutered the Pakis
e. dodd-frank
h. the original backroom deal with Hillary pays off - stellar performance by Hill
* Libya
* arab spring
* china blinks
* europe loves him

* got al qaeda's new and improved underpants bomb and its design before it got launched.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 2:44 pm

atcg wrote:What more should a 'brother' do, to sew up November?

b. Got Osama
c. Neutered the Pakis
e. dodd-frank
* Libya
* arab spring
* china blinks
* europe loves him

Most importantly: passed healthcare reform. In time this will become the biggest part of his legacy. Unless the Supreme Court kills it this summer, or the Tea Party kills it next year. If they both fail to kill it, it will become like social security and medicare in the long run.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 09, 2012 2:51 pm

panini press wrote: Unless the Supreme Court kills it this summer, ...

you think there's a chance they won't. i think it's gone already.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Good list.

For me-

*For concerns about Health Care:

Kept his word- Health Care Reform- Affordable Care Act -2010 (no matter what happens in the SC now).

For seeking pay equality and compensation for Women:

*Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009.

For my love of good old American Cars:

Signing - Auto Bail Out.

Speaking of the above..this is really funny:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/09/jon-stewart-mocks-mitt-romney-credit-video_n_1502575.html

I can go on..although he has not done...everything on my list!

*Of course..everyone is waiting to see..what he says on Gay Marriage (his interview today to be released soon). I have really evolved on that- exactly like Mr. Biden..20-25 years ago, even Medical- Behavioral Science Books did not call Homosexuality "normal"..learned and evolved a lot..think genuinely it's fine now (not that anyone needs or cares about my approval or acceptance!)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed May 09, 2012 2:59 pm

>> I have really evolved on that- exactly like Mr. Biden..20-25 years ago, even Medical- Behavioral Science Books did not call Homosexuality "normal"..learned and evolved a lot..think genuinely it's fine now <<

Hello there, Maria! I think I still think like Biden of 25 years ago. Although would like to be corrected : All humans are bisexual in a recreational sense - a certain level of conditioning casts us into a particular groove (and groovy) future. Fundamental human rights should include right to sexual orientation.

And contrary to how I pissed off a 13-year old yesterday, there is indeed a difference between boys undressing in a locker room in front of a outed gay teen versus girls and boys sharing a unisex locker room for changing clothes! The former is a-okay while the latter is taboo for reasons that will never be fully explained.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Maybe he just conceded the general election:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/09/obama-same-sex-couples-should-have-right-to-marry/?hpt=hp_t1
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Hello atcg! Good to see you.

You are certainly entitled to your views:)

In general..

Obviously sexuality is complex- the way we percieve sexual behaviors of others is very complex. I agree that at the core- perhaps all humans do have some bisexuality in them/us..but at some point- most of us (80-90%) lean and "fully adapt" to heterosexuality (some may call it natural suppression due to various factors- genetic, hormonal, environment..and unexplained factors), while others may lean and fully adapt to homosexuality.

*Of course..there are faith-based issues.

*As Mr. Biden says..when it comes to legal issues-marriage..don't see a big difference. Have not seen any evidence that homosexual couples treat each other better/worse than heterosexual couples..if they want the same "legal security"..why not? It's their problem, if they have the same marital issues..good luck!

On the other hand..interesting to see the "First Companion" in France who will enjoy all the privileges/benefits publicly on the National and International stage..without being married!

http://news.yahoo.com/frances-unmarried-first-lady-teach-us-lot-marriage-185913354.html

Kind of amusing!

*Breaking news..President Obama has evolved *(enough) too!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/09/politics/obama-same-sex-marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Oops Angel- you posted first..i like the new secretary of state 459784477
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed May 09, 2012 3:20 pm

That is very interesting that Obama invoked the Malia advice. We have almost exactly the same type of conversations at our dinner table and my daughter is quick to pounce upon any perceptions of dinosaurish attitudes.

Same sex couples are becoming the norm and I am still working on the etiquette of what to make of introductions by male colleagues to their "husbands".

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 09, 2012 3:27 pm

*I am willing to bet..that if Gay marriages become legal in all states and the "forbidden layer" is removed..after the initial elation-initial surge, running to get married..the rates of marriage will go down.

They will just as many issues as in all marriages..and the Divorce Courts will be filled with Gay couples wanting divorce too!

Simply human nature..We'll see!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 09, 2012 3:38 pm

atcg wrote:That is very interesting that Obama invoked the Malia advice. We have almost exactly the same type of conversations at our dinner table and my daughter is quick to pounce upon any perceptions of dinosaurish attitudes.

ditto. my older d appears to be somewhat more ambivalent than my younger d or rather it seems to occupy less mental space in her (older d's) mind. the younger one has a fully formed opinion which she defends very passionately and articulately. it really amazes me that she even has an opinion let alone be able to defend it.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Maybe he just conceded the general election:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/09/obama-same-sex-couples-should-have-right-to-marry/?hpt=hp_t1

i think the right is overestimating the centrality of this issue in voters' minds. it's all about jobs and the economy. if he loses the election it will be because of that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm

and i think most americans (sane americans that is) regardless of political orientation will probably support it if they stop thinking about the mechanics of the sexual act and start focusing on spousal benefits, inheritance rights, and all the other things that make life as a family better than life as partners.

the far right's only hope is to keep bringing the conversation and the focus back to sex which this is not about.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm

This is fantastic news. I applaud the president for his political courage in taking a stand now rather than wait for January. If he loses the general because of this issue, that will be a pity, but most states have already passed constitutional amendments against gay marriage, to the GOP won't be able to use this issue to bring out their voters like they did in 2004.

On issue after issue, Obama shows that he can do the right thing even when doing so comes with big political risks. He ordered the attack on Osama, he put the stake in the ground when it came to bailing out GM, and he fought the healthcare fight to the end. If he goes down fighting, I will have the more respect for him than if he had tried to squeak by through silence on this issue.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 4:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Maybe he just conceded the general election:

i think the right is overestimating the centrality of this issue in voters' minds. it's all about jobs and the economy. if he loses the election it will be because of that.
For sure GOP and its super PACs will advertise about in Ohio and Florida about the threats to their marriages because gay people in Massachussetts are getting married, and Obama thinks they have a right to do that. I think this endorsement does put Obama at a disadvantage in some swing states. At the same time, it energizes his base, because they will see political courage and conviction in his change of heart at such a precarious point.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 4:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
panini press wrote: Unless the Supreme Court kills it this summer, ...

you think there's a chance they won't. i think it's gone already.
Yeah, that was the triumph of hope over experience.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 pm

On issue after issue, Obama shows that he can do the right thing even when doing so comes with big political risks. He ordered the attack on Osama, he put the stake in the ground when it came to bailing out GM, and he fought the healthcare fight to the end. If he goes down fighting, I will have the more respect for him than if he had tried to squeak by through silence on this issue.

Me too.

Sure, there are political risks..but, come what may- he had to be gutsy and say/do it.

Interesting how events unfolded..looks like Joe Biden triggered all this, made it happen sooner than later, which puts him in the History books -elevating his profile as well!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed May 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Obama coming out in support of gay marriage will definitely energize the youth vote. As he says in the interview even young republicans are in support of legalizing gay marriage. If young voters turn out in great numbers then Obama will benefit.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 4:42 pm

just did some poll somewhere whether her looks matter for her role. voted for 'no it's irrelevant'.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed May 09, 2012 4:52 pm

check out Fox News Headlines...
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 5:11 pm

The right wing media will go berserk on this news. The next few days will be entertaining. They will now try to portray Obama as a flip-flopper... this while Romney has been extremely consistent on one thing: he has a 100% record of flip-flopping on every major political issue. On many of those issues, he has / had more than 2 opinions.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 09, 2012 5:44 pm

gutsy he definitely is and not in a chest thumping mission accomplished way, but in a quiet and thoughtful way. yeah even he loses this election, my respect for him has grown tremendously. but respect doesn't count when the chips are finally counted, winning elections counts and i think he has definitely taken a calculated political risk while also doing what he thinks is right in his heart. i hope he comes out ahead.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed May 09, 2012 8:29 pm

In applaud our President for what he tried to do in early 2009. He tried to save Tamil lives. Our Pacific Fleet was standing by for orders. The hated Hindian government send Menon tu Washington. Mission aborted.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed May 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:In applaud our President for what he tried to do in early 2009. He tried to save Tamil lives. Our Pacific Fleet was standing by for orders. The hated Hindian government send Menon tu Washington. Mission aborted.

>>>So the hindian gov't has this kind of leverage with wash DC?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed May 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:clicking "like" for this secretary of state. she is sexy.

ditto. I'd totally pork her in the 60s...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed May 09, 2012 10:46 pm

>>>So the hindian gov't has this kind of leverage with wash DC?

Norway minister who facilitated the Sinhala-Tamil peace talks 2002-2007 had extensively discussed it with Hindia and US. He said US did not want to cross India over Sri Lanka.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>>>So the hindian gov't has this kind of leverage with wash DC?

Norway minister who facilitated the Sinhala-Tamil peace talks 2002-2007 had extensively discussed it with Hindia and US. He said US did not want to cross India over Sri Lanka.
Yet you have hopes the US will bomb India's nuclear installations. Ever heard of cognitive dissonance?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed May 09, 2012 10:56 pm

When did I say that? Don't make up things.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:When did I say that? Don't make up things.
You said it and then deleted it. A few weeks ago.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed May 09, 2012 11:03 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>>>So the hindian gov't has this kind of leverage with wash DC?

>>>>So, the president wanted to save tamil lives, but he was afraid he would offend india and he aborted the mission and you want to applaud him? Speaking of tamil lives, what about the LTTE's/Pirabjakaran's sacrificing of tamil children's lives? You seem quite inconsistent on whom you applaud.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>>So, the president wanted to save tamil lives, but he was afraid he would offend india and he aborted the mission and you want to applaud him? Speaking of tamil lives, what about the LTTE's/Pirabjakaran's sacrificing of tamil children's lives? You seem quite inconsistent on whom you applaud.
And the shooting of Tamil civilians who wanted to leave the war zone in the final weeks.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down