Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not that I am a nit-picker...but the sticky on Jokes made me confirm.

4 posters

Go down

Not that I am a nit-picker...but the sticky on Jokes made me confirm. Empty Not that I am a nit-picker...but the sticky on Jokes made me confirm.

Post by Petrichor Wed May 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Et al. is an abbreviation of the Latin loanphrase et alii, meaning and others. It is similar to etc. (short for et cetera, meaning and the rest), but whereas etc. applies to things, et al. applies to people.

fwiw.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Not that I am a nit-picker...but the sticky on Jokes made me confirm. Empty Re: Not that I am a nit-picker...but the sticky on Jokes made me confirm.

Post by Guest Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 pm

thanks for this info. i started that thread. i will bring it to the attention of the admin and ask him to change it to "etc." whenever he logs in next.

Back to top Go down

Not that I am a nit-picker...but the sticky on Jokes made me confirm. Empty Re: Not that I am a nit-picker...but the sticky on Jokes made me confirm.

Post by garam_kuta Thu May 17, 2012 12:20 am

atcg wrote:Et al. is an abbreviation of the Latin loanphrase et alii, meaning and others. It is similar to etc. (short for et cetera, meaning and the rest), but whereas etc. applies to things, et al. applies to people.

fwiw.

are you in the science business DNA ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu May 17, 2012 9:20 am

No, garam. Although that is where I formed the heuristics around "et al." usage, in research papers.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 pm

atcg wrote:No, garam. Although that is where I formed the heuristics around "et al." usage, in research papers.

ah.. the editor would have taken care of the italics study

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu May 17, 2012 5:41 pm

nitpicker, not nit-picker

wait, is OP related to Hyphen Thambi?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu May 17, 2012 6:00 pm

If the words cannot stand alone, hyphenate. (British)

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-nit1.htm

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu May 17, 2012 6:11 pm

After living 30 yrs in Amreeka, ju referencing brit english usage from 1951?

that makes my head hurt.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu May 17, 2012 6:11 pm

i'm srs. If i had a gun in the house, i would have shot myself between the eyes right now.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu May 17, 2012 7:04 pm

"records it first" in 1951 and hopefully ever since.

We are all from Gogol's overcoat and colonial vestiges will haunt us to our last days.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu May 17, 2012 7:20 pm

atcg wrote:"records it first" in 1951 and hopefully ever since.

We are all from Gogol's overcoat and colonial vestiges will haunt us to our last days.

i am having fun imagining what's happening to bittu's brain as he reads your post.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Okay, Bittu. You are right. I should have used only American English (this is primarily an audience of twenty-two people composed primarily of Amreekans) and dropped the hyphen. Thanks for picking that particular nit. To wit, we shall pit 'nitpicker' against the old, stodgy, hyphenated 'nit-picker'.

In other words, you win!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18, 2012 2:42 am

atcg wrote:Okay, Bittu. You are right. I should have used only American English (this is primarily an audience of twenty-two people composed primarily of Amreekans) and dropped the hyphen. Thanks for picking that particular nit. To wit, we shall pit 'nitpicker' against the old, stodgy, hyphenated 'nit-picker'.

In other words, you win!

Add me to the head hurterans list, now Smile *anacin time*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down