Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best cell phone ever

5 posters

Go down

Best cell phone ever Empty Best cell phone ever

Post by Idéfix Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 am

That would be the Droid Razr Maxx. I have had it for a few days now, and it is awesome. I have tried a few LTE phones and all of them had battery issues. This one runs a full day of use as the Wifi router for my computer, and still has juice left at the end of the day. Ice Cream Sandwich rocks on this phone. The interface is fantastic, and the phone has no delays of any kind. MOTO, you have finally proven yourself to be not a FAIL.

Hopefully this will be the last cell phone I will ever own. By the time I run this phone into the ground, this should be widely available: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/22/video-larry-page-rocks-google-glasses-at-zeitgeist-2012-says-android-is-on-fire/.

In other news, Apple's top designer says he is doing the most important of his career. iGlasses, anyone? http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/23/apple_designer_jonathan_ive_says_current_projects_are_his_most_important_work.html
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Best cell phone ever Empty Re: Best cell phone ever

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 23, 2012 11:46 am

panini press wrote:That would be the Droid Razr Maxx. I have had it for a few days now, and it is awesome.

You mean for SIX months

Hopefully this will be the last cell phone I will ever own.

You mean for six months at least

By the time I run this phone into the ground, this should be widely available: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/22/video-larry-page-rocks-google-glasses-at-zeitgeist-2012-says-android-is-on-fire/.

You mean people dont need glasses to see texts on cell phones ?

In other news, Apple's top designer says he is doing the most important of his career. iGlasses, anyone? http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/23/apple_designer_jonathan_ive_says_current_projects_are_his_most_important_work.html

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 am

panini press wrote:That would be the Droid Razr Maxx. I have had it for a few days now, and it is awesome. I have tried a few LTE phones and all of them had battery issues. This one runs a full day of use as the Wifi router for my computer, and still has juice left at the end of the day. Ice Cream Sandwich rocks on this phone. The interface is fantastic, and the phone has no delays of any kind. MOTO, you have finally proven yourself to be not a FAIL.

Hopefully this will be the last cell phone I will ever own. By the time I run this phone into the ground, this should be widely available: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/22/video-larry-page-rocks-google-glasses-at-zeitgeist-2012-says-android-is-on-fire/.

This is what a friend of mine said while discussing google glasses. When you look at a hot guy you will ads about dating sites and divorce lawyers. Wink.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
panini press wrote:That would be the Droid Razr Maxx. I have had it for a few days now, and it is awesome.

You mean for SIX months

Hopefully this will be the last cell phone I will ever own.

You mean for six months at least

By the time I run this phone into the ground, this should be widely available: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/22/video-larry-page-rocks-google-glasses-at-zeitgeist-2012-says-android-is-on-fire/.

You mean people dont need glasses to see texts on cell phones ?

I am not following you saar.

PS: I just realized: saamiyaar = miya + saar anagram. affraid
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 23, 2012 12:24 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:
panini press wrote:That would be the Droid Razr Maxx. I have had it for a few days now, and it is awesome. I have tried a few LTE phones and all of them had battery issues. This one runs a full day of use as the Wifi router for my computer, and still has juice left at the end of the day. Ice Cream Sandwich rocks on this phone. The interface is fantastic, and the phone has no delays of any kind. MOTO, you have finally proven yourself to be not a FAIL.

This is what a friend of mine said while discussing google glasses. When you look at a hot guy you will ads about dating sites and divorce lawyers. Wink.
They better have an ad-free subscription service Smile.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Thu May 24, 2012 2:28 am

what else (what other phones) did you compare this phone to before making that decision?

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2012 2:29 am

hey kumarg, have you tried posting links now. i think you can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Thu May 24, 2012 6:00 am

ok will try thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-I2s30gFqA

appropriate?

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2012 6:09 am

yes, appropriate for links.

however, if you wish to embed a youtube video, follow these steps:

(i) click "preview" before you compose your post. this will open up the full console for editing;

(ii) use the button circled red in the image below to embed a youtube clip/link:

Best cell phone ever Tube11

like this:

good song! texas!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:30 am

this is the best cell phone ever.
it's your phone, calendar, alarm, library card, credit card, GPS, everything!

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 1:37 am

Kumarg wrote:

what else (what other phones) did you compare this phone to before making that decision?
I tried Galaxy Nexus, Droid Bionic, HTC Rezound and Droid Razr before this one. Finally settled on the Razr Maxx.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Fri May 25, 2012 3:51 am

[quote="panini press"]
Kumarg wrote:
panini press wrote:

what
else (what other phones) did you compare this phone to before making
that decision?
I tried Galaxy Nexus, Droid Bionic, HTC Rezound
and Droid Razr before this one. Finally settled on the Razr
Maxx.

I am surprised you made the decision without even trying the leader in
the market- the iPhone. No matter what people say, iPhone is unique,
there is no other phone like the iPhone.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 2:33 pm

No 4G LTE = not a good phone. That is the problem with the iPhone.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 2:47 pm

panini press wrote:No 4G LTE = not a good phone. That is the problem with the iPhone.

iphone 5 will be having 4G LTE. it'll be coming out soon. personally i love the retina display on my iphone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:No 4G LTE = not a good phone. That is the problem with the iPhone.

iphone 5 will be having 4G LTE. it'll be coming out soon. personally i love the retina display on my iphone.

and then, of course, there is Siri. And then the camera. And the amazin apps. Basically, when iphone 5 arrives its going to kick the ass of all android phones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 7:45 pm

according to some of the reviews of this phone on amazon, the screen of this phone is very fragile and prone to cracking.

------
1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Phone, Unbelievably Fragile Screen, May 7, 2012
By Maya Cook (Clementon, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The Droid Razr Maxx is the best phone I have ever had on all levels except one, and that one is enough for it to lose four stars. The screen is incredibly fragile. Incredibly. As in, it will break from a short drop, possible even onto a soft surface. Some users have even had it break under touch, as in, while being used as intended, as in, not even being dropped. Despite an internet full of screen complaints, both Motorola and Verizon will deny that they have heard of the problem and will blame you for abusing your phone. If you were smart enough to get insurance and it breaks within the first few days, as has happened to many, Asurion may try to avoid replacing your phone and accuse you of fraud. For fun, google "Droid Razr Cracked Screen" and read the hundreds of stories of phones cracking under normal use. For bonus entertainment, go to EBay and browse all the phones with cracked screens being sold for parts. Gorilla glass is great for being pushed on, but is very, very weak on its edges.

So, if you're rough on your phones, are clumsy, like to keep your phone in your pocket, or otherwise expect the durability of your older Droid phone, you have two choices. One, don't buy this phone. Two, buy it, but insure it IMMEDIATELY (don't wait even a single day), and treat it like a Faberge' Egg until your protective case arrives. Even then, still treat it like that egg. Because lots of peoples' screens have broken from short falls while inside a case. Yes, it is that fragile.

If you are extra-careful with your phones, and have always skated through your two years with your phone still looking like-new, you are ABSOLUTELY NOT IMMUNE from these problems. Buy the insurance. Seriously. My husband treats his phone positively reverently, and here we are, two months later, looking at expensive repair or even more expensive replacement.

In a just world, these phones would be repaired or replaced by the companies that put their names on it. In THIS world, expect to shell out a lot of money to replace your best new phone ever. Because the injustice of paying $99 to replace a phone that only lasted a week is better that what many of us are facing. Insurance: get it. Yes, even you. And best of luck. Because you'll need it.

If you were looking for the good, look at other reviews. Yes, it absolutely is fast, bright, amazing battery, decent camera, all that stuff they said. But it's useless when you're looking at shelling out another $250 for a new digitizer and screen.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment (1)

11 of 20 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this phone, April 18, 2012
By David Thompson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I've had my razr maxx for a month and a half and the screen is cracked. This gorilla glass is NOT what they tout it to be. The phone has never been dropped and spends most of its time on a table hooked to a charger while I use blue tooth to connect to it. I picked it up to take a picture and noticed a crack straight down the screen. I called Verizon and they were no help at all. Seems, if there is any physical damage to the phone at all, the warranty is void. It didn't matter that I didn't cause the damage, it was damaged.

Motorola is no help at all, they have the exact same philosophy; it's all my fault regardless of the facts.

I have the insurance, so it will ONLY cost me a hundred bucks to get it replaced, if and when the insurance company actually gets stock of the devices. Seems there are a LOT of failures for this device. For a cell phone that they advertise as being so tough, all it takes is a smile from across the room to crack the gorilla glass screen.

While I was at the Verizon store talking to a clerk about this problem, he skylighted the glass screen and it cracked again in a different place. When you have one crack the integrity of the glass is totally shot, so you WILL get more of them as you use the phone. A quick search of the web turned up scores of other people that had the same problem.

It's a shame too. This device is fast, the battery lasts a couple of days, really pleasing display and works well in fringe areas. Could be a killer phone.

If the screen didn't break so darn easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID-RAZR-MAXX-Wireless/product-reviews/B0071G0KR4/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri May 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Apple has been doing a good job covering it up.

As I've so often asserted: In business, perception is everything. Successful companies often create positive perceptions about their brands, products and business practices. But there also is the tactic of misdirection, of controlling perceptions by getting people to look somewhere else so that they miss flaws with the company's products or business strategies. Apple uses "magical" to describe some of its products. Magicians are all about getting people to look over there so they don't see the secret behind the trick over here. Apple's patent assault on Samsung, and even HTC, is very much misdirection, so that eyes turned away from iPhone 5 problems. THIS IS JUST AN ARBITRARY LINE THAT IS USED TO DEMONSTRATE THE USE OF STRIKEOUT.

I should have connected the dots sooner. About two weeks ago, I asked: "Is Apple engaging in innovation by intimidation?", where I explained the implications of Apple singling out Android creator Andy Rubin in a patent suit against HTC. Rubin worked for the Apple filers of an obscure 1994 patent part of the HTC case. The intimidating message: Anyone who worked for Apple could be guilty of intellectual property theft by association, and the companies now employing them.

In August, I asserted that "Apple is a patent bully", as it's clear that legal attacks against HTC, Samsung and others aren't so much about protecting Apple intellectual property rights but asserting them as competition by litigation. Proof point: Apple's IP cases are focused at major competitors. Particularly, Apple has systematically increased legal attacks against Samsung, as its market success has grown. Apple isn't seeking damages so much as to stop Galaxy S II smartphone and Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet from launching in many countries.

Making Excuses

But I failed to fully connect the dots, as Elias Samuel brilliantly has done in today's post: "Apple’s iPhone 5 Dilemma: Is it Samsung Galaxy S2 or Android OS?" Samuel puts the patent lawsuits in another context: Apple's late delivery of iPhone 5. Of course!

"Backed by huge production of the upcoming iPhone 5 and cheaper iPhone 4S, Apple has revealed its fear of Samsung phones as they continue to sue them for patent infringements", he writes. Yes. Yes.

Look at how things really are. The first four iPhones launched in summer -- July for the original model and June for the others. But June 2011 passed without a new iPhone. First there were rumors of August, then September, more recently October and now perhaps even later -- as new rumors (if you believe them) suggest a production delay. But if you take a close look at the rumors -- and leaks behind -- they are really a series of justifying excuses for why iPhone is shipping later and that it's okay.

Let's be clear: Apple changed its delivery pattern for iPhone. It's a delay, and a big one. Potential buyers, carriers, peripheral partners, software developers and Wall Street analysts clearly expected summer launch before June's Worldwide Developer Conference when the company said that iOS 5, and presumably iPhone 5 with it, wouldn't ship until autumn.

Samsung Rises

Meanwhile, Samsung launched the hugely successful Galaxy S II, which has set sales records for the company and helped propel it to a close rivalry with Apple. During second quarter, Apple shipped 20.3 million smartphones, with Samsung following close behind with 19.2 million units, according to IDC. A year earlier, Samsung shipped just 3.1 million smartphones. Do the math -- that's 520 percent year-over-year growth.

Samuel rightly concludes: "By suing Samsung, Apple has actually taken away the public attention from the problems the company is facing, of late. After Samsung Galaxy S2 was received with rave reviews, it looks like Apple, which usually launches the iPhone versions in June failed to introduce their next iPhone".

Reviews are sizzling: "The Galaxy S II's screen is nothing short of spectacular", writes Vlad Savov for Engadget. Praise continues -- from the "onscreen keyboard is terrific" to "general responsiveness is absolutely exemplary". Savov concludes: "It's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period".

Another: "The finest Android phone we've seen so far, the Samsung Galaxy S II isn't just a competitor to the current iPhone. It competes with the next iPhone", writes Sascha Segan for PC Mag.com, giving the smartphone an "Editor's Choice" rating. That last statement is the clincher. Samsung already is one generation ahead of Apple.

Apple's Indecision

Samuel emphasizes:

As most predictions point towards two models being produced -- iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 -- it is becoming evidently clear that the iPhone 4S which should have been introduced earlier would have lost the appeal of its iPhone fans had it been released along side Galaxy S2. Hence, Apple’s rampant rumor that the iPhone 5 prototype was lost in a bar and suing Samsung paved the way to deflect the public curiosity from the company’s actual issues.

The IP attacks against Samsung make the South Korean electronics giant appear to be the bad guy -- a copycat of Apple's good work. But the lawsuits serve another purpose, generating news about Apple vs Samsung rather than Samsung the successful competitor vs Apple the suddenly indecisive. Seemingly every day, this misdirection keeps pageview-hungry blogs and news sites writing about the lawsuits rather than asking the big question: Why hasn't iPhone shipped yet?

Apple is undergoing a major leadership change, which occurred during the late-stages of iPhone 5 development. What? You think Steve Jobs gave Apple's board or new CEO Tim Cook no advance notice? Surely, his eventual resignation, and ongoing health problems impacted his participation in the iPhone development process. Meanwhile, Samsung emerged as a sudden, unexpected competitor.

The lawsuits are as much, if not more, about misdirection as they are enforcing Apple patent rights. Apple is grappling with co-related problems: A serious smartphone competitor's emergence and unfortunately-timed leadership change. iPhone 5 will be the first major Apple product launch of the post-Steve Jobs era. Is misdirection really the measure of executive execution?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri May 25, 2012 7:53 pm

oH....AND YES...HERE IS THE PROOF:

http://betanews.com/2011/09/18/iphone-5-has-a-big-problem/

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Fri May 25, 2012 8:14 pm

atcg wrote:oH....AND YES...HERE IS THE PROOF:

Smile. Samsung Galaxy S III seems to be really cool.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:

Smile. Samsung Galaxy S III seems to be really cool.
If and when VZW gets the SGS3, I will be very tempted to switch to that. Hopefully Google Glasses launch before that Smile. VZW didn't have the SGS2, so I am not sure if they will carry the next version of it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 pm

LOL. This is the best thread ever. I guess the emoticon thread and the Nizam jokes thread were longer and had more hilarity in them, but still, it's hard to beat this one.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 pm

[quote=\"panini press\"][quote=\"atcg\"]oH....AND YES...HERE IS THE PROOF:

http://betanews.com/2011/09/18/iphone-5-has-a-big-problem/[/quote]LOL. This is the best thread ever. I guess the emoticon thread and the Nizam jokes thread were longer and had more hilarity in them, but still, it\'s hard to beat this one.[/quote]

when the full emoticon explanation was given you proceeded to abuse me. When it was pointed out that many people from Telangana have respect for the Nizam to the extent that the top Telangana leader KCR claims he wants to bring back \'Nizam Rule\' you were no doubt taken aback. Now that your phone has been pointed out to be fairly useless because its screen is liable to crack easily you again seem to have become perturbed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down