Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SMJ: Is Love a Crime

+2
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Kumarg
6 posters

Go down

SMJ: Is Love a Crime Empty SMJ: Is Love a Crime

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:02 am

watching now:

Back to top Go down

SMJ: Is Love a Crime Empty Re: SMJ: Is Love a Crime

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:25 pm

So envious. Them WANTING so desperately to get married. Wedding itself is a big issue, and then they fight the whole world for years to just be able to physically stay with each other, even risk dying. When will they progress to modern issues in life where you can marry anyone you want, but the bigger challange is to stay in it. Or worse, live with anyone you want, and then walk out with sorry-hon-can't-commit/sorry-but-ju-not-the-one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi, very slow internet connection in India. Been trying to watch this for 2 hours almost, is loading very slowly. Can you please tell me one thing- please scroll down to 8:19 (following video), did he also interview this couple Shilpa and Ravindra? The Dr mentions that these 2 are from different gotras, different khaps and different Zilas - so then why have they not been able to visit their homes? What is their story?

http://www.satyamevjayate.in/issue05/videos/B6U4IckccSc/

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Kumarg wrote:Hi, very slow internet connection in India. Been trying to watch this for 2 hours almost, is loading very slowly. Can you please tell me one thing- please scroll down to 8:19 (following video), did he also interview this couple Shilpa and Ravindra? The Dr mentions that these 2 are from different gotras, different khaps and different Zilas - so then why have they not been able to visit their homes? What is their story?

No, he didn't interview them. There was one more couple too that they showed briefly. In that one, the guy was beaten up and was left behind coz they thought he had died, but he survived.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:30 pm

..second question, scroll to 12:50, he mentions this problem exists in 'every' state, from Kasmir to Kanyakumari...does he give examples of it by interviewing victims from regions other than north india? I have a feeling he just made that last part up, as far as I know khap is a typically Haryana-Punjab-Rajisthan-Bihar phenomenon.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Kumarg wrote:..second question, scroll to 12:50, he mentions this problem exists in 'every' state, from Kasmir to Kanyakumari...does he give examples of it by interviewing victims from regions other than north india? I have a feeling he just made that last part up, as far as I know khap is a typically Haryana-Punjab-Rajisthan-Bihar phenomenon.

Not too much. I think he brought up the example of a madu-jain family (i think) living in mumbai. That one had a late but happy ending.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:
Kumarg wrote:Hi, very slow internet connection in India. Been trying to watch this for 2 hours almost, is loading very slowly. Can you please tell me one thing- please scroll down to 8:19 (following video), did he also interview this couple Shilpa and Ravindra? The Dr mentions that these 2 are from different gotras, different khaps and different Zilas - so then why have they not been able to visit their homes? What is their story?

No, he didn't interview them. There was one more couple too that they showed briefly. In that one, the guy was beaten up and was left behind coz they thought he had died, but he survived.

I guess I am wondering the reason why this khap fatwa is isued against these couples is because they think that marrying someone from the same gotra or the same village(in some Haryana villages), equals to marrying your own sibling. So I am wondering why were Shipla and Ravindar punished given that they are from different gotras and different villages?

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:
Kumarg wrote:..second question, scroll to 12:50, he mentions this problem exists in 'every' state, from Kasmir to Kanyakumari...does he give examples of it by interviewing victims from regions other than north india? I have a feeling he just made that last part up, as far as I know khap is a typically Haryana-Punjab-Rajisthan-Bihar phenomenon.

Not too much. I think he brought up the example of a madu-jain family (i think) living in mumbai. That one had a late but happy ending.

Whats "madu"? have they interviewed this couple on the show? damn my slow internet connection!

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Kumarg wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

I guess I am wondering the reason why this khap fatwa is isued against these couples is because they think that marrying someone from the same gotra or the same village(in some Haryana villages), equals to marrying your own sibling. So I am wondering why were Shipla and Ravindar punished given that they are from different gotras and different villages?

Aamir interviewed the khap people (from another village). Their objection is to marry for lust. They are against ALL love marriages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Kumarg wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

Whats "madu"? have they interviewed this couple on the show? damn my slow internet connection!

madu is marwari. yes they were interviewed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:
Kumarg wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

Aamir interviewed the khap people (from another village). Their objection is to marry for lust. They are against ALL love marriages.

I see, then it would make sense. But I was able to watch that segment where they interviewed the kaph sarpanchs, and the khaps consider marrying a sibling a crime, I don't remember them saying that they are against love marriages. BTW its sad to know that many so-called modern, educated middle class people also share similar views as these uneducated khaps (well they do not believe in honour killing or ostracizing, but many north indian parents are also consider love marriages a 'crime' of sorts)

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:23 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:So envious. Them WANTING so desperately to get married...
please, could someone explain what this woman means?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:48 am

Kumarg wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:
Kumarg wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

I see, then it would make sense. But I was able to watch that segment where they interviewed the kaph sarpanchs, and the khaps consider marrying a sibling a crime, I don't remember them saying that they are against love marriages. BTW its sad to know that many so-called modern, educated middle class people also share similar views as these uneducated khaps (well they do not believe in honour killing or ostracizing, but many north indian parents are also consider love marriages a 'crime' of sorts)

One of those guys keep saying that you should not marry on the basis of lust, coz that's against the traditions.

Regarding that middle class example, remember that that was 25 years ago. I remember up until mid 80s, people generally would frown upon love marriages, even if they could not have found a better match for their kids themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:57 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:So envious. Them WANTING so desperately to get married...
please, could someone explain what this woman means?

it's russian.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:28 am

Oh. That's just short form for 'I am so envious [of blahblahblah]'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:44 am

Natalia Romanova wrote: I remember up until mid 80s, people generally
would frown upon love marriages, even if they could not have found a
better match for their kids themselves.

It's sad, you will be surprised to know that even in this day and age,
when kids (both girls and boys) are allowed to work late night shifts,
to go abroad for studies, and with bollywood and Mtv bombarding TV with
love and sex films (which are devoured by parents of all ages btw) like
never before, here in Delhi-NCR 'love marriage' is still a taboo word
among the educated middle class. I can generalize and say that a
majority of the parents vehemently discourage their daughters from even
daring to have a boyfriend. Some even discourage their sons. And this
has nothing to do with religion (though may have something to do
with..don't know the word to describe it, but may be sub-sub-sub caste?)
For example, a UP Delhite can not marry a 'half-UP- half-Punjabi' and
shit like that. But in majority of the cases, the girl is not allowed to
date 'anyone'. Period. Even those love marriages that are 'allowed' by
parents, are declared as 'arranged' marriages. Its easy to explain when
both the guy and girl are from the same cast, community or language
group, but if not- then parents are sheepish in admitting that it was a
love marriage. In fact They NEVER openly admit that it was a love
marriage, they say something like, "oh they were working in the same
office, our boy liked her, so we met her parents for permission, and
once they granted permission we got these two married". They lie as they
still believe that 'love' is a bad word and their son or daughter is
not of a "loose character" as to indulge in lustful acts of "dating".
Educated people in Delhi-NCR still have khap mentality of sorts. I can
generalize this to a majority of north indian states, especially
Haryana, Punjab, Rajisthan and Bihar. The Himachali people are more
libral. Apart from the north, the other stuck up orthodox people with
khap mentality are the Keralites (Christians and Hindus included) and
Tamil Brahmins. The Kannadigas and Telugus are more liberal.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:53 am

Lol. Have not heard such long explanations for love marriages. Even in my times, it would be something simple like, 'they knew/met each in college/work'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:40 am

My sons wonder why all indian movies have the same suject by default-the girl and boy falling in love and finally getting married. The reaon: it's still a fantasy to fall in love and marry for love in India. Bad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:49 am

kumarg, from your descriptions of life in delhi, I am fast coming to the conclusion that punjabis, haryanvis, UPites, biharis & rajastanis are major douches.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:35 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:Oh. That's just short form for 'I am so envious [of blahblahblah]'.
i was puzzled by your claim that you were "so envious na" of couples who had experienced tragedies for wanting to marry for love.

i thought that you married vinod guptov - or is it pradeep agrawalsky? - for love, and had played one against the other in an epic saga of love, intrigue, betrayal, and reconciliation, all while wearing glittering lehngas and singing dil-deewanas in the moghal emperor's manicured gardens. do you regret that all that wasn't dramatic enough?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:45 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:Oh. That's just short form for 'I am so envious [of blahblahblah]'.
i was puzzled by your claim that you were "so envious na" of couples who had experienced tragedies for wanting to marry for love.

i thought that you married vinod guptov - or is it pradeep agrawalsky? - for love, and had played one against the other in an epic saga of love, intrigue, betrayal, and reconciliation, all while wearing glittering lehngas and singing dil-deewanas in the moghal emperor's manicured gardens. do you regret that all that wasn't dramatic enough?

douchebag, dont you have an adult center to hang out at? do they allow you in those centers or do they collectively dislike you over there too?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:59 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

douchebag, dont you have an adult center to hang out at? do they allow you in those centers or do they collectively dislike you over there too?
junnuboy, it's more fun to watch you finally express disgust at the backwardness of those you've always wanted to emulate and ingratiate yourself to. that says a lot about both you and them.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:02 am

SMJ: Is Love a Crime 3077217049 @ junnu
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 am

Jeremiah ji, you are jumping to conclusions. I was comparing modern world love issues versus those shown in that documentary. Envious coz I am and have always been a part of the former (modern) world. Dunno how that other world functions. Maybe that's why some charm of the unknown.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:
Jeremiah ji, you are jumping to conclusions. I was comparing modern world love issues versus those shown in that documentary. Envious coz I am and have always been a part of the former (modern) world. Dunno how that other world functions. Maybe that's why some charm of the unknown.

is the following an appropriate translation from russian to english of what's written above?

we wanted our own laila-majnu story, replete with running around trees, getting wet in the rains with peacocks dancing all around us, participating in dil-deewana item dance numbers, ultimately leading to elopement. however, parents gave in too damned easily resulting in zero drama. hence the disappointment and envy.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:59 am

yeah I too was thinking that life is hard enough (with what yo described as 'modern world love issues), so don't know why some parents complicated it by adding this unnecessary stress.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:kumarg, from your descriptions of life in delhi, I am fast coming to the conclusion that punjabis, haryanvis, UPites, biharis & rajastanis are major douches.

Yes, many. And also Tam Brams and Kerelites, douches too.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

is the following an appropriate translation from russian to english of what's written above?

we wanted our own laila-majnu story, replete with running around trees, getting wet in the rains with peacocks dancing all around us, participating in dil-deewana item dance numbers, ultimately leading to elopement. however, parents gave in too damned easily resulting in zero drama. hence the disappointment and envy.

Hmm. Guess you just too bent in making fun of me today, so you won't launch into discussions of the marriages or open affairs in this country and metro India. It is ok. Don't blame you.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

How do you fix a broken record?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down