Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is a better student?

+3
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kris
MulaiAzhagi
7 posters

Go down

Who is a better student? Empty Who is a better student?

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:40 am

John gets an A in the course and simply forgets about it. He never picks up the textbook for that subject.

Jennifer works hard but ends up with a B.

After the course, during the summer vacation, she goes back to her course notes and the textbook to find out how was that she missed her "A" and re-learns the material.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Who is a better student? Empty Re: Who is a better student?

Post by Kris Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:56 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:John gets an A in the course and simply forgets about it. He never picks up the textbook for that subject.

After the course, during the summer vacation, she goes back to her course notes and the textbook to find out how was that she missed her "A" and re-learns the material.

>>>Hmmm.. tough one! Do you have pictures of Jen?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:59 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:John gets an A in the course and simply forgets about it. He never picks up the textbook for that subject.

Am raising a Jennifer. She suddenly picks up a new concept RIGHT AFTER the test. sigh.

Edit: I was John.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Both are good student. But, Jenny will be more successful in the real world - assuming that she is tall, slim, sexy, and has a great smile to charm her bosses in the male world.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:03 pm

>>>>I missed this before. No, Jen is an idiot! Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Both are good student. But, Jenny will be more successful in the real world - assuming that she is tall, slim, sexy, and has a great smile to charm her bosses in the male world.

>>>Marathadi, You are slipping. With these arrows in her quiver, she was wasting time with the class to begin with. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>Hmmm.. tough one! Do you have pictures of Jen?

===> LOL

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>>I missed this before. No, Jen is an idiot! Smile

Yeah, the biggest pain I can inflict on my kid is to even suggest studies during summer vacation. But guess what, that is EXACTLY what I am gonna do this year. Twisted Evil I got all the work sheets. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>Marathadi, You are slipping. With these arrows in her quiver, she was wasting time with the class to begin with. Smile

you mean, the smarter thing would be to just marry John?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:
Kris wrote:

you mean, the smarter thing would be to just marry John?

>>>>Natalie, now you are slipping! John is small potatoes.
Think bigger-- biggest -- Kris- like proportions-- hahaha. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:

Am raising a Jennifer. She suddenly picks up a new concept RIGHT AFTER the test. sigh.

Edit: I was John.

>>>Ok, wow, how's that for re-inventing oneself! Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Rolling Eyes and Rolling Eyes for both posts @ Kris.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Obviously John is a better student than Jennifer. Jen is a better student when compared to a third kind of students, the category to which both my sonnies belong. They slack off the first half a semester, missing their home works and taking it easy on quizzes and tests until their grades fall to an alarmingly low levels. Then they get into the panic mode and work their butts off trying to pull up, successfully or unsuccessfully, to an A. At least Jen was consistent with a B throughout. With the third category, there's no consistency.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:33 pm

kinnera wrote:Obviously John is a better student than Jennifer. Jen is a better student when compared to a third kind of students, the category to which both my sonnies belong. They slack off the first half a semester, missing their home works and taking it easy on quizzes and tests until their grades fall to an alarmingly low levels. Then they get into the panic mode and work their butts off trying to pull up, successfully or unsuccessfully, to an A. At least Jen was consistent with a B throughout. With the third category, there's no consistency.

>>> There is a fourth type- one that abandons school and apprentices for sadhu-dom. These guys are trained in making do with little. Life's needs are minimal. Very little food, no need for clothes, a p*nis doubles as a toy.. etc etc.. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Kris wrote:
kinnera wrote:Obviously John is a better student than Jennifer. Jen is a better student when compared to a third kind of students, the category to which both my sonnies belong. They slack off the first half a semester, missing their home works and taking it easy on quizzes and tests until their grades fall to an alarmingly low levels. Then they get into the panic mode and work their butts off trying to pull up, successfully or unsuccessfully, to an A. At least Jen was consistent with a B throughout. With the third category, there's no consistency.

>>> There is a fourth type- one that abandons school and apprentices for sadhu-dom. These guys are trained in making do with little. Life's needs are minimal. Very little food, no need for clothes, a p*nis doubles as a toy.. etc etc.. Smile

Ya, I too am in the Paul Merton's daze, horrified to the max.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:

Yeah, the biggest pain I can inflict on my kid is to even suggest studies during summer vacation. But guess what, that is EXACTLY what I am gonna do this year. Twisted Evil I got all the work sheets. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

what worksheets are these? i hope you are not still inflicting kumon on them. best way to kill interest in mathematics.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

what worksheets are these? i hope you are not still inflicting kumon on them. best way to kill interest in mathematics.

Some stuff I got from BN and amazon on algebra and other basics. Really quick brush up courses on stuff she has struggled with so far. Hoping if I am fortunate enough to get her to sit with me, I will be able to drive out some fear of math. She is not going into any math related stream, that much I can see. I just want her next 4 years to pass not-so-miserable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

Some stuff I got from BN and amazon on algebra and other basics. Really quick brush up courses on stuff she has struggled with so far. Hoping if I am fortunate enough to get her to sit with me, I will be able to drive out some fear of math. She is not going into any math related stream, that much I can see. I just want her next 4 years to pass not-so-miserable.

start on SAT too trace, esp english vocab and all

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:41 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

try this:
http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Mathematics-Nutshell-Geometry-Trigonometry/dp/1592441300

it always maddens me especially when a girl says that she is not interested in math or that math is too hard. much of this is social conditioning. there is no way around this except conscious and purposeful effort to thwart such conditioning. i am not saying your girl is a case of such conditioning, i don't know the details, but you were good at it and there is no earthly reason why she shouldn't be.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:05 am

The one who can make use of the concepts when needed.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:43 am

artood2 wrote:

that is a very vague answer. in my opinion & experience, there are the truly gifted students and the the rest who are above average. it is easy to differentiate between the two but harder to rank students in the latter category (as in who is better) for all in that category are equally good. after a certain level of aptitude, it comes down to application, training and honing of skills that determines how "better" you are. not to mention motivation, dedication and lifestyle. my son is an average student but his various college entrance tests results show him to be above average by percentile. even i am left puzzled by this rather bizarre result. in a multiple choice format, with no negative marking for wrong answers (in some entrance tests locally), luck also plays a factor. maybe rahu and ketu were aligned in his case. time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:50 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

try this:
http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Mathematics-Nutshell-Geometry-Trigonometry/dp/1592441300

it always maddens me especially when a girl says that she is not interested in math or that math is too hard. much of this is social conditioning. there is no way around this except conscious and purposeful effort to thwart such conditioning. i am not saying your girl is a case of such conditioning, i don't know the details, but you were good at it and there is no earthly reason why she shouldn't be.

Thanks, will check it out. No, hers is not out of any social conditioning. She has girl math whiz all around her, cousins and friends. She simply loses patience for anything that takes more than 5 seconds to solve. Sometimes, rather most of the times, she knows the answer, coz she is good with numbers and mental math, but she has no patience to write down the multiple steps, which was a major focus at school this year.

Also, her 6th grade math teacher was really bad, and unfortunately then, I could not focus on her studies. So some concepts that were taught then, she has developed a phobia+disliking for, so she just tries to avoid them as much as possible. And that's exactly where I am planning to take her deep this summer. Luckily for both, we both have ample time for that. *touchwood*

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
artood2 wrote:

that is a very vague answer. in my opinion & experience, there are the truly gifted students and the the rest who are above average. it is easy to differentiate between the two but harder to rank students in the latter category (as in who is better) for all in that category are equally good. after a certain level of aptitude, it comes down to application, training and honing of skills that determines how "better" you are. not to mention motivation, dedication and lifestyle. my son is an average student but his various college entrance tests results show him to be above average by percentile. even i am left puzzled by this rather bizarre result. in a multiple choice format, with no negative marking for wrong answers (in some entrance tests locally), luck also plays a factor. maybe rahu and ketu were aligned in his case. time will tell.

HK, we are not talking of being gifted or not. Even the truly gifted do not get A's in all subjects (may be the truly truly truly gifted do!).

You hit the nail with this

after a certain level of aptitude, it comes down to application, training and honing of skills that determines how "better" you are. not to mention motivation, dedication and lifestyle.

And this is true whether you are gifted or not. It seems you have taken the entrance tests as a barometer of good student and in that case scoring an "A" would make you the "better one". I believe in Edison :

“Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:41 pm

all these talks makes me nervous... next 4 years are so important for my kid.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:all these talks makes me nervous... next 4 years are so important for my kid.

what is making you nervous? i'm in the same boat you are. i'm trying desperately to get my family to completely shut out the chatter from the indian community and do our own thing. paying attention to it can't be good for the kids' or the parents' mental health.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:all these talks makes me nervous... next 4 years are so important for my kid.

what is making you nervous? i'm in the same boat you are. i'm trying desperately to get my family to completely shut out the chatter from the indian community and do our own thing. paying attention to it can't be good for the kids' or the parents' mental health.

I don't know much about college admissions in this country. So I don't want to goof up her future by my lack of knowledge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Wrong! These are "teachable moments" for the kids about the "Indian Community" Smile

We use the opportunity to embed *BS-meter* in our kids...

PS> On a completely tangential note, I have a college-student stewing in Delhi who begins his conversations with me asking "How's that AC room treating you?!" No one seems to understand the subtle humor behind this question and why I guffaw with schadenfreude.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:00 pm

artood2 wrote:“Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”

+1.

also, as i indicated to bw on chat today, since we are discussing tennis these days, tennis is 80% fitness and 20% skills. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:05 pm

finally! was waiting all morning for hk to utter what he uttered to bw on chat today. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:05 pm

lol nats.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Komboletely agree. I am convinced that the social conditioning, traditionalism, and the environment are the main reason behind girls turning away from the STEM. Quite a few girls good in math in middle school get turned off in high school. Many of those who escape are turned off during college for lack of role model and mentors (look around any Math or Eng departments), and the very few who maintain their math love are finished off by the family, society, and profession.

To make matters worse, half baked, idiotic women as Quota faces are hoisted as power controllers, who kill any smart woman considered a potential threat.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:finally! was waiting all morning for hk to utter what he uttered to bw on chat today. Razz

......and this when I wasn't even on chat today(y'day).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:51 am

blabberwock wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:finally! was waiting all morning for hk to utter what he uttered to bw on chat today. Razz

......and this when I wasn't even on chat today(y'day).

chat is chat, whether it is over notes, gtalk or ym. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:52 pm

jennifer is the better student because she has a passion for learning; she will be a life-long learner.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down