Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

La séduction(Or how the French view it)

+4
MaxEntropy_Man
Propagandhi711
indophile
Hellsangel
8 posters

Go down

La séduction(Or how the French view it) Empty La séduction(Or how the French view it)

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 10:51 am

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2072009,00.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

La séduction(Or how the French view it) Empty Re: La séduction(Or how the French view it)

Post by indophile Wed May 18, 2011 1:21 pm

It appears the French believe in - "When in Timbaktoo, do as the French do."

indophile

Back to top Go down

La séduction(Or how the French view it) Empty Re: La séduction(Or how the French view it)

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed May 18, 2011 10:50 pm

this out to make up for that polish filmmaker - the guy that directed china town, polanski?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 20, 2011 12:29 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/business/20fund.html

it seems to me that the "puritanical" US is light years ahead of liberal europe when it comes to practicing equality in the workplace. the europeans like to talk a lot about such things but seem very lax in enforcing the law in such matters. all hat and no cattle. i'm glad strauss-kahn is in the slammer and that the americans are teaching him an expensive and painful lesson.

p.s: yeah yeah standard disclaimers about presumed innocence etc. apply.

p.s.2: that said how many guys here (in the US) are terrified of giving a female colleague an innocuous compliment? i count myself one in the group. in general women seem far more at ease with that sort of thing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri May 20, 2011 12:53 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
it seems to me that the "puritanical" US is light years ahead of liberal europe when it comes to practicing equality in the workplace. the europeans like to talk a lot about such things but seem very lax in enforcing the law in such matters. all hat and no cattle.
Yeah, I heard the other day on NPR that of the top 100 German companies,
not one has a female CEO. And just 2% of execs were female.

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
p.s: yeah yeah standard disclaimers about presumed innocence etc. apply.
The no bail thing was a little too much. The guy had his ticket booked earlier; that wasn't proof of an intent to flee, when he called his hotel about his cell phone and told them he was at JFK.

I won't be surprised at all if it turns out that the sex was consensual as he claims and he was set up. Of course, it will be very very difficult for him to establish, given that he will be tried in the US.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri May 20, 2011 12:56 am

Germany has a female chancellor.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri May 20, 2011 1:07 am

artood2 wrote:Germany has a female chancellor.
Yeah, the NPR show was talking about the disconnect between business and government. Women are well-represented in teh latter, but not in the former.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 am

excluding arabs and muslim culture, german, korean & japanese are unbending and have "closed" cultures (that dont know "Self") where racist and sexist attitudes abound. the more things change, more they remain the same with these folks, culturally.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri May 20, 2011 3:33 pm

in NPR few days ago they were talking to a male French MP about the possibility of some lady ( i think she is the finance minister of France) as the new head of IMF.

French MP described her as 'cute' and then he goes on to say that she will be good because she did well with French Economy..
If an American had said that in an radio interview he will be hung out to dry.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri May 20, 2011 3:39 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:in NPR few days ago they were talking to a male French MP about the possibility of some lady ( i think she is the finance minister of France) as the new head of IMF.

French MP described her as 'cute' and then he goes on to say that she will be good because she did well with French Economy..
If an American had said that in an radio interview he will be hung out to dry.
He should be hung out to dry anyway...

La séduction(Or how the French view it) 225px-Christine_Lagarde_-_Universit%C3%A9_d%27%C3%A9t%C3%A9_du_MEDEF_2009
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri May 20, 2011 3:44 pm

charvaka wrote:
He should be hung out to dry anyway...

La séduction(Or how the French view it) 225px-Christine_Lagarde_-_Universit%C3%A9_d%27%C3%A9t%C3%A9_du_MEDEF_2009

hahahaha...those French I tell ya...
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri May 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Apparently, the French press identified the victim, and they are overwhelmingly sympathetic towards Strauss-Kahn.

The way French are looking at the issue reminds me of India and its values.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri May 20, 2011 3:54 pm

didja see the Daily Show's response to what Ben Stein has to say in defense of
D S Kahn..

Ben Stein claims that no economists have been indicted for sexual assault and so DS Kahn should be innocent.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri May 20, 2011 3:58 pm

No, I didn't, but will check it out.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri May 20, 2011 4:00 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:Apparently, the French press identified the victim, and they are overwhelmingly sympathetic towards Strauss-Kahn.

For the record, I am not sure of DSK's guilt in this one. It's not like he's one of those sex-starved desi unkils whose crimes are brought to us by Sara Boji. And the way he was initially denied bail was atrocious.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 20, 2011 4:20 pm

charvaka wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:Apparently, the French press identified the victim, and they are overwhelmingly sympathetic towards Strauss-Kahn.

For the record, I am not sure of DSK's guilt in this one. It's not like he's one of those sex-starved desi unkils whose crimes are brought to us by Sara Boji. And the way he was initially denied bail was atrocious.

no he is not. he is just a different kind of unkil. the kind that thinks because of his position of power and influence he is entitled to any and all nookie he wishes to lay his hands on, regardless whether said nookie welcomes his advances or not. i am happy to let the law take its course but i am putting my money on his guilt.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri May 20, 2011 4:24 pm

His track record is not good. Impossible to discount them all. I will put my money on him being guilty.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri May 20, 2011 4:43 pm

charvaka wrote:

You don't mean to say the typical profile of a rapist is that of sex-starved unkil, do you?

If you look at his history, it is much more consistent with this sort of behavior and it makes it believable he could have done this.

Again, he's still innocent until proven guilty but I'm glad he was denied bail. What if he had jumped bail like Polanski?

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri May 20, 2011 4:50 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
You don't mean to say the typical profile of a rapist is that of sex-starved unkil, do you?
OK, you have a point there.

ashaNirasha wrote:
What if he had jumped bail like Polanski?
He is out on bail now. I think that's the right decision, and they should have come to it the first time round.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri May 20, 2011 4:53 pm

he seems to have paid his bail money (1 million dollars) in cash..

who carries that much ..
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri May 20, 2011 4:54 pm

I think the timing was better this way. They had some time to gather more info, get the indictment in, work out stricter bail arrangements. Even the second time around, the judge conceded that he was still a flight risk, and if he did that, there's no way US justice system could get him.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 20, 2011 4:59 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:he seems to have paid his bail money (1 million dollars) in cash..

who carries that much ..
It was wired to him.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri May 20, 2011 5:07 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:he seems to have paid his bail money (1 million dollars) in cash..

who carries that much ..

You know, Slate has an explainer just for this sort of questions. You should ask them. They also explained which hotel rooms cost $3000/night, and what you get for that kind of deal and some other stuff like that.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down