Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanjay subramaniam's podcasts

3 posters

Go down

Sanjay subramaniam's podcasts Empty Sanjay subramaniam's podcasts

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 am

....amazing! i have downloaded the earlier one as well. this particular one is about janya raagams and their correlation to the family of raagas. WOW!

Max, u will love this.

http://sanjaysub.libsyn.com/webpage/the-sanjay-subrahmanyan-show-episode-4-violin-accompaniment-and-other-stuff

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Sanjay subramaniam's podcasts Empty Re: Sanjay subramaniam's podcasts

Post by indophile Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Doesn't his voice break in taara-sthaayi?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 am

thanks for the headsup on the janya ragams episode impy. will surely check it out.

indo -- every musician has bad days, but i can't say i remember a particularly jarring instance of his voice breaking in thAra sthAyi. do check out the abhogi to which i posted a link a couple of days ago. he really shines in the thAra sthAyi. to me he is the most complete and most creative vocalist of our generation. in the creativity rankings he is up there with seshagopalan who is perhaps the most creative carnatic vocalist i've ever listened to.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Alright, likes and dislikes are personal. To me, his voice appeared a little unstable in the upper octave in a few songs I've heard. I observed a lot of singers to have problems with mandra-sthaayi, and I thought this singer is different in that his discomfort is at the other end.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:34 pm

indophile wrote:Alright, likes and dislikes are personal. To me, his voice appeared a little unstable in the upper octave in a few songs I've heard. I observed a lot of singers to have problems with mandra-sthaayi, and I thought this singer is different in that his discomfort is at the other end.

listen to this fully and tell me if you still have the same opinion after listening to this RTP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-QgMJ43CZM
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

indo aside: who amongst the current male vocalists aged 30-50 is your favorite?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:indo aside: who amongst the current male vocalists aged 30-50 is your favorite?

I've no favorites among the 30-50 crowd, male or female. The only carnatic singer I can call my favorite is Balamuralikrishna, and I believe he is now 80+.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 pm

indophile wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:indo aside: who amongst the current male vocalists aged 30-50 is your favorite?

I've no favorites among the 30-50 crowd, male or female. The only carnatic singer I can call my favorite is Balamuralikrishna, and I believe he is now 80+.

ok thanks but do check out the abhogi and post your opinion. i too like BMK, but the young BMK. i have an RTP in gamanashrama which i absolutely treasure. however, i don't like the BMK of later years who resorted to an overdramatic singing style.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:49 am

I listened to the Abhogi raaga-alaapana part (may be I will get to taanam when I can). He did sing well. However, I would have liked it more if he spent a little more time on the third ragavardhani which is sung mostly in taara-sthaayi.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down