Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suicide a curse of the educated in India - Second leading cause of death among young adults

5 posters

Go down

Suicide a curse of the educated in India - Second leading cause of death among young adults Empty Suicide a curse of the educated in India - Second leading cause of death among young adults

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:26 am

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120622/jsp/frontpage/story_15642979.jsp

the above study will be published in lanclet. of relevance is:

The research has also revealed a sharp regional contrast with suicide rates in the southern states up to 10 times higher than in the north. The number of suicides per 100,000 people in a year (for the age group 15 to 69 years) ranged from 6.3 in Bihar to 66.3 in Kerala, and from 2.2 in Punjab to 39.7 in Tamil Nadu.

Back to top Go down

Suicide a curse of the educated in India - Second leading cause of death among young adults Empty Re: Suicide a curse of the educated in India - Second leading cause of death among young adults

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 am

This is termination of one's own life by choice, quite unlike the other causes of death listed in that chart. So why should this be viewed as a problem and a curse??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Suicide a curse of the educated in India - Second leading cause of death among young adults Empty Re: Suicide a curse of the educated in India - Second leading cause of death among young adults

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:01 am

ummm, like bad roads and flouting traffic rules is the cause of road accidents where the "cause" can be redressed, maybe the high suicide rate among the educated young has a "cause" that can be redressed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ummm, like bad roads and flouting traffic rules is the cause of road accidents where the "cause" can be redressed, maybe the high suicide rate among the educated young has a "cause" that can be redressed?

You can redress a cause only when there is a defined problem. Road accidents are undoubtedly a problem and therefore it's worth looking into the cause and a solution.

OTOH, life decisions - whether it is education, career, marriage, parenthood or termination - are all an individual's personal choices. Looking to redress the cause for suicides is no different from seeking to redress the cause for people choosing to remain single or childless.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:03 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:This is termination of one's own life by choice, quite unlike the other causes of death listed in that chart. So why should this be viewed as a problem and a curse??

>>>I think it is worth probing to determine patterns underlying this. Is it a case of hopelessness tied to economics, family dynamics (dowry-related problems come to mind) or other concrete identifiable reasons? The age group also suggests there could be a tie-in with academic failures, perceived or real. If clear patterns emerge, corrective measures may well make a difference. Some time ago, there were suicides at the IIT's (i think) which raised the need for student counseling. I don't know if this came to pass, but that seems like a valid response.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:30 am

HK,

I have frequently expressed my views on this topic over the years..it's a friday morning..can't really post a lot. Apart from textbooks and training, the best learning experiences came from working in suicide help hotlines..it's amazing to see how people respond..when they feel they can trust someone, even if it's a complete stranger. And that trust- has to be taken as sacred and followed through. Most people who do attempt suicide are quite intelligent and driven, obviously hypersensitive.

In the US, suicide is still the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 25. And high achievers (med.students, medical and other professionals)- also have high rates of attempted suicides..which is well documented.

*The difference between other deaths..is that suicide is preventable. Families, Friends..and of course professionals can work together together as a team with early intervention and address some of causes/problems..which can lead to suicide.

The reality is that ALL efforts may not work, it is still certainly worth keep trying.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:58 am

Suicide can be a result of something as fleeting as a moment's (or a day's depression). If intervined at the right time, it can be prevented. And unless there is chronic depression, it's never contemplated again. I am sure in majority of cases it's not a hard core and well thought 'life decision' like education, career, marriage, parenthood.

It's against natural instinct too. Now this brings me to the next question, 'do animals commit suicide?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:14 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

The research has also revealed a sharp regional contrast with suicide rates in the southern states up to 10 times higher than in the north. The number of suicides per 100,000 people in a year (for the age group 15 to 69 years) ranged from 6.3 in Bihar to 66.3 in Kerala, and from 2.2 in Punjab to 39.7 in Tamil Nadu.

The study revealed that suicide rated are high among the educated. The stress levels could be high in this group (stress to be academically successful, to get a job, etc) and hence the high levels. The reason suicide rates are high in the southern states when compared to the northern could be because there are more educated youth in the south than in the north.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:45 am

Maria S wrote:In the US, suicide is still the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 25.
i see. i did not know this.

*The difference between other deaths..is that [b]suicide is preventable.
i suppose it is when it is not related to treatment resistant depression or incurable illness.

Natalia Romanova wrote:Now this brings me to the next question, 'do animals commit suicide?'
though rare among the animal kingdom, elephants do commit suicide.

kinnera wrote: The reason suicide rates are high in the southern states when compared to the northern could be because there are more educated youth in the south than in the north.
quite likely. kerala has the highest literacy i think and also the highest suicide rate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:01 am

i was told part of kerala's suicide rate is coz of this mandatory dowry system there. need to know how many of those 'young adults' are women.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:i was told part of kerala's suicide rate is coz of this mandatory dowry system there. need to know how many of those 'young adults' are women.
to my knowledge, the dowry system of kerala is not oppressive; i have not heard of newly-married women being threatened or doused with kerosene and set afire because the dowry they brought in was felt to be inadequate.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:i was told part of kerala's suicide rate is coz of this mandatory dowry system there. need to know how many of those 'young adults' are women.
to my knowledge, the dowry system of kerala is not oppressive; i have not heard of newly-married women being threatened or doused with kerosene and set afire because the dowry they brought in was felt to be inadequate.

yes. once u give the preset amount of gold at marriage, and then when the first kid is born, there is not oppression. but it is mandatory. no negotiations. even if a love marriage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:12 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Maria S wrote:In the US, suicide is still the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 25.

*The difference between other deaths..is that suicide is preventable.
i suppose it is when it is not related to treatment resistant depression or incurable illness.
oh, i am sorry. i forgot we were talking about young, educated adults. in those cases suicide can be prevented almost always.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

*The difference between other deaths..is that suicide is preventable.
oh, i am sorry. i forgot we were talking about young, educated adults. in those cases suicide can be prevented almost always.

**it is easy: bribe the girl to say "yes, i enjoyed the ghazal. i love you."

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:10 pm

kinnera wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

The study revealed that suicide rated are high among the educated. The stress levels could be high in this group (stress to be academically successful, to get a job, etc) and hence the high levels. The reason suicide rates are high in the southern states when compared to the northern could be because there are more educated youth in the south than in the north.

** let's not romanticize education or people lucky enough to secure an education. i mean who the hell is more likely to get employed, the uneducated or the educated? anyhow amongst indinas education doesn't really change things a great deal so i think it's a non-factor wrt suicides. these supposedly educated indians, they still go to the astrologer, pick up their dowries, marry the fair, want to see your cv before they see you for a cup of coffee, drop their banana peels in the middle of the street, don't get up to give their seat to some awwa who may be carrying a basketful of fish on her head, don't know how to ask a woman out, get numb between the ears when they "encounter" a white woman et cetera et cetera.

** it could be due to subtle genetic problems that occur when first cousins or uncles and nieces marry, idiotic parenting, reddy-dowry-setting trends, molestation by kammas behind haystacks, not being able to handle it when their ghazals do not gain appreciation.

**don't take it personally, kinnera. it's caste synthesis day.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:30 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

** let's not romanticize education or people lucky enough to secure an education. i mean who the hell is more likely to get employed, the uneducated or the educated? anyhow amongst indinas education doesn't really change things a great deal so i think it's a non-factor wrt suicides. these supposedly educated indians, they still go to the astrologer, pick up their dowries, marry the fair, want to see your cv before they see you for a cup of coffee, drop their banana peels in the middle of the street, don't get up to give their seat to some awwa who may be carrying a basketful of fish on her head, don't know how to ask a woman out, get numb between the ears when they "encounter" a white woman et cetera et cetera.

** it could be due to subtle genetic problems that occur when first cousins or uncles and nieces marry, idiotic parenting, reddy-dowry-setting trends, molestation by kammas behind haystacks, not being able to handle it when their ghazals do not gain appreciation.

**don't take it personally, kinnera. it's caste synthesis day.

scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:21 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

>>>>In-depth research has shown the darned "CV (?) before the coffee" and the "encounter with white women" issues have the highest degree of correlation with suicides in India. It was right there in front of our noses. How could we have missed this all along?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down