Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bain Capital attacks working, reports the Times

4 posters

Go down

Bain Capital attacks working, reports the Times Empty Bain Capital attacks working, reports the Times

Post by Idéfix Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Democrats are divided on going after Romney's business record, as that might dry up funds from private equity and Wall Street to their campaigns. But it looks like talking about Romney's business record is a good idea for Team Obama.

But recent Quinnipiac University polls found that there were slight shifts in Mr. Obama’s favor in Ohio on the question of who would do a better job handling the economy, and that he was roughly even with Mr. Romney on the question in Pennsylvania.

In the most recent NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 33 percent of respondents in swing states said that hearing or reading about Mr. Romney’s business record had made them view him more negatively, as opposed to 18 percent who said it made them view him more favorably.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/us/politics/bain-attacks-make-inroads-for-president.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Bain Capital attacks working, reports the Times Empty Re: Bain Capital attacks working, reports the Times

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:31 pm

It is a cheap liberal trick to criticize romney for bain capital experience. Intellectually that is no better than calling obamas social service in chicago as parasitic activity. I am ok if obama points out that bain capital is just a job and does not qualify him in any special way for presidency. What romney did what capitalist society entrusted him to do. This cheap politics by obama.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Bain Capital attacks working, reports the Times Empty Re: Bain Capital attacks working, reports the Times

Post by Idéfix Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:14 pm

truthbetold wrote:It is a cheap liberal trick to criticize romney for bain capital experience. Intellectually that is no better than calling obamas social service in chicago as parasitic activity. I am ok if obama points out that bain capital is just a job and does not qualify him in any special way for presidency. What romney did what capitalist society entrusted him to do. This cheap politics by obama.
Romney makes much of his private sector experience as a qualification for his candidacy. He talks about that a LOT more than he talks about his record as governor or MA. So it is fair game to ask what he actually did in the private sector. I don't see why it is bad to criticize Romney's record in the private sector.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:46 pm

As i have already said it is ok to challenge how that bain experience prepared romney for presidency. What is cheap trick is to claim the normal hedge fund technique of selling assets and closing a business. If that disqualifies aperson from being a president then all social workers must be disqualified as they never have a real job. In bain capital obama is trying to capitalize on gordon greco image of hedge fund billionaires rather than clarifying romneys role.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:23 pm

truthbetold wrote:As i have already said it is ok to challenge how that bain experience prepared romney for presidency. What is cheap trick is to claim the normal hedge fund technique of selling assets and closing a business. If that disqualifies aperson from being a president then all social workers must be disqualified as they never have a real job. In bain capital obama is trying to capitalize on gordon greco image of hedge fund billionaires rather than clarifying romneys role.
I don't like vilifying hedge funds or private equity either, as I believe they play a useful role in the capitalist system. But Romney's platform is that he created jobs in the private sector, and that he knows how to create jobs. That is a total stretch based on my understanding of private equity, and based on the facts that have come out about some of Bain Capital's portfolio investments during Romney's time there. So it is an appropriate political response to point out that Romney's experience is actually in making money for his own company, which often came at the expense of American jobs that had to be outsourced overseas so that Bain Capital could turn a higher profit from that transaction.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 pm

truthbetold wrote:As i have already said it is ok to challenge how that bain experience prepared romney for presidency. What is cheap trick is to claim the normal hedge fund technique of selling assets and closing a business. If that disqualifies aperson from being a president then all social workers must be disqualified as they never have a real job. In bain capital obama is trying to capitalize on gordon greco image of hedge fund billionaires rather than clarifying romneys role.

>>>TBT,

As in love and war, all is fair in politics. The dems will capitalize on this just as the republicans are going to play along with the birther fools' theories. All that aside, the economic performance in the next few months is going to be the primary factor in these elections.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:52 am

panini press wrote:
I don't like vilifying hedge funds or private equity either, as I believe they play a useful role in the capitalist system. But Romney's platform is that he created jobs in the private sector, and that he knows how to create jobs. That is a total stretch based on my understanding of private equity, and based on the facts that have come out about some of Bain Capital's portfolio investments during Romney's time there. So it is an appropriate political response to point out that Romney's experience is actually in making money for his own company, which often came at the expense of American jobs that had to be outsourced overseas so that Bain Capital could turn a higher profit from that transaction.

I agree. Romney opened himself to this by tomtomming his Bain experience as a qualifier to the big job. He is getting his just desserts now.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down