Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does "mulai azhagi" mean?

+6
Kris
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Rekz
Propagandhi711
Maria S
indophile
10 posters

Go down

What does "mulai azhagi" mean?  Empty What does "mulai azhagi" mean?

Post by indophile Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:50 pm

What does it really mean? When I checked the Tamil-English online dictionary and it says "Ms. Universe's breasts." That sounds odd. Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

What does "mulai azhagi" mean?  Empty Re: What does "mulai azhagi" mean?

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:12 pm

It really means- A woman with beautiful/attractive breasts. (of course- as in the eyes of the be-holder:)

*May be the dictionary person thinks..there are some gold standard requirements for Ms. Universe's breasts!

It's an interesting screen name..esp. for a man! It certainly attracts attention! Wonder if there is a story behind it..well, let me stop wondering..a Roja by any other name is a Roja..and Sara, by any other name is Sara!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Maria S wrote:It really means- A woman with beautiful/attractive breasts. (of course- as in the eyes of the be-holder:)

when it comes to tits there's no "in the eye of the beholder"...they're either firm yet yielding, with soft, puffy nipples and sit high up on the chest or they're floppy, shapeless, saggy mass of flesh. it's a binary choice.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Maria S wrote:It really means- A woman with beautiful/attractive breasts. (of course- as in the eyes of the be-holder:)

when it comes to tits there's no "in the eye of the beholder"...they're either firm yet yielding, with soft, puffy nipples and sit high up on the chest or they're floppy, shapeless, saggy mass of flesh. it's a binary choice.

Will certainly defer to you expert:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Maria S wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Will certainly defer to you expert:)

actually am kinda indifferent to tits...am a die hard assman. tits- when they're good they're nice but they aren't make or break kinda deal with me.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:27 pm

*May be the dictionary person thinks..there are some gold standard requirements for Ms. Universe's breasts!

It's an interesting screen name..esp. for a man! It certainly attracts attention! Wonder if there is a story behind it..well, let me stop wondering..a Roja by any other name is a Roja..and Sara, by any other name is Sara!

There is also another meaning to mulai right? mulla poo..jasmine flower
It could also mean jasmine beauty...
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 am

Rekz wrote:

"mulai" (breast) is definitely different from "mullai" (jasmine). moreover, sara boji once explained the origin of the name: it's the crude name the boys of his university in thamizh nadu assigned to the daughter of their vice chancelor, probably because she was good-looking and unattainable, and they were sex-starved and juvenile. boji had even mentioned her and her family's name in his post. i shall not mention them. she was the nicest possible person. i had known her and her family.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:14 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Rekz wrote:

"mulai" (breast) is definitely different from "mullai" (jasmine). moreover, sara boji once explained the origin of the name: it's the crude name the boys of his university in thamizh nadu assigned to the daughter of their vice chancelor, probably because she was good-looking and unattainable, and they were sex-starved and juvenile. boji had even mentioned her and her family's name in his post. i shall not mention them. she was the nicest possible person. i had known her and her family.

>>>Wait, Mullai is Jasmine? I thought it was Malli and Mullai was a different flower. Yeah, I do feel bad for the girl.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 am

Kris wrote:>>>Wait, Mullai is Jasmine? I thought it was Malli and Mullai was a different flower. Yeah, I do feel bad for the girl.
jasmine = "mulla"/"mullai" in malayalam, and "malli" in thamizh.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:29 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Kris wrote:>>>Wait, Mullai is Jasmine? I thought it was Malli and Mullai was a different flower. Yeah, I do feel bad for the girl.
jasmine = "mulla"/"mullai" in malayalam, and "malli" in thamizh.

>>>Wow, didn't know that. I had some vague concept of some type of a lilly.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 am

Sara boji told us the story behind the name on this forum. I don't want to steal his thunder by repeating the story. Hold your breath and wait for his story.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:38 am

Rekz wrote:

are your ears not sensitive to a doubled consonant?

kris et al: re muallai vs. malligai. both are correct and refer to the
same thing. in fact sangam era thamizh grammarians classify geography by
flower names, neithal - coastal land, kuRinji - mountainous lands,
pAlai - desert, and mullai - forest.

one of mullai and malligai probably evovled from the other through the
usual process of consonant dropping etc. if i were to hazard a guess,
i'd say the former evolved from the latter but then references to mullai
are very old. so not sure about this. and thamizh shares these names
with other dravidian languages - malligai (malligE in kannada) and
mullai (same name in malayalam).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:42 am

*Mullai (Arabian Jasmine) and Malli belong to the "same jasmine family", but Mullai as the link below says is not the exact same as Malli (and can be perhaps called a close cousin).

The fragrances are quite different..the prices are different (malli is generally more expensive than mullai)

*As you perhaps know..the Jasmine family-has a variety..like Jadhi-Nithya malli, Gundu malli, Madurai Malli, Kaatu malli etc...which are different from each other.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaipullai/2773902714/
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 am

i am sure there are different sub species of the jasmine flower. that is not the question; but i think mullai and malligai are both generic references to jasmine subspecies not withstanding. i could be wrong but this seems to be a distinction without a difference. and i think both are generic dravidian words, not just thamizh words.

e.g. see this karnataka govt's horticulture page: (http://horticulture.kar.nic.in/APMAC_website_files/Jasmine.htm)

the sub species jasminum auriculatum is referred to in kannada both as vasantha malligE and pArimullai.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:34 am

Maria S wrote:

This online dictionary says azhagi could mean, Miss Universe, Belle, Queen, Smasher, Venus .... So I chose Miss Universe ("Belle" sounds too teenagey, and "Queen" sounds like Elizabeth and she is 80+. Didn't like the "Smasher/Basher/Crasher" type meanings (they sound too aggressive), and didn't like Venus ("arms being cut off" comes into view). Here is partial list from that dictionary. Didn't like "model" because only aneroxix/emaciated ones come into view. "Doll" is too little girly.

belle : அழகி , அணங்கு , அழகரசி .doll : பொம்மை , கைப்பாவை , ஆலி , மனித உருவப் பொம்மை , அளவுக்கு மீறி ஆடையணிந்த அறிவற்ற அழகி , ஒரே ஈற்றுக்குட்டிகளில் மிகச் சிறிய பன்றிக்குட்டி மிகையாக ஆடையணி , மட்டுமீறி ஒப்பனைசெய் .
miss universe : உலக அழகி .model : விளம்பர அழகி .
peri : பாரசீகப் பழங்கதை மரபில் தேவதை , அணங்கு , அழகி .queen : அரசி , ஆட்சியுரிமையுடைய அணங்கு , அரசன் மனைவி , பெண்ணரசி , காதலி , மனைவி , வீறமைதிமிக்க மாதரசி , அழகி , விழாவரசி ,விளையாட்டரசி ,தேவி ,பெண் தெய்வம் ,இனத்திற்சிறந்த அழகுப்பொருள் ,மேம்பட்ட சிறப்பு வாய்ந்த பெண் , சதுரங்கத்தின் காயரசி ,சீட்டாட்டத்தில் ச .
smasher : உடைப்பவர் , நொறுக்குபவர் , தூளாக்குவது , வன்றிறல்வாதம் , விசைத்தாக்கடி , படுவீழ்ச்சி , போலிநாணயம் செலாவணியிற் பரப்புபவர் , இன்னதிர்வுக் கவர்ச்சியூட்டும் அழகி .venus : காதல் இறைவி , பண்டை ரோமரின் புராண மரபில் காதலுக்குரிய பெண்தெய்வம் , வெள்ளிக் கோள்

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:39 am

what do you mean "i chose"? so you have three handles now: sara boji, mulai azhagi and indophile? in that case, why would you ask us questions about your own handle?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 am

indophile wrote:
This online dictionary says azhagi could mean, Miss Universe, Belle, Queen, Smasher, Venus ....

azhagi could mean "ms.universe"? how? where? scratch scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 am

Didn't like "model" because only aneroxix/emaciated ones come into view. "Doll" is too little girly.

_________

LOL! Impressive research and list Mr. Indo..I learned a few new terms:D )!

பன்றிக்குட்டி மிகையாக ஆடையணி , மட்டுமீறி ஒப்பனைசெய் (something like a little Piggy with excessive makeup and overdressed!)

And poor models:) But, hey- they make good money!

Like Mr. DUT says..I suppose it's all about importance and preferences..when it comes to women's names (some endearing more than others!) and physical appearances!

Last edited by Maria S on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:48 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rekz wrote:

are your ears not sensitive to a doubled consonant?

kris et al: re muallai vs. malligai. both are correct and refer to the
same thing. in fact sangam era thamizh grammarians classify geography by
flower names, neithal - coastal land, kuRinji - mountainous lands,
pAlai - desert, and mullai - forest.

one of mullai and malligai probably evovled from the other through the
usual process of consonant dropping etc. if i were to hazard a guess,
i'd say the former evolved from the latter but then references to mullai
are very old. so not sure about this. and thamizh shares these names
with other dravidian languages - malligai (malligE in kannada) and
mullai (same name in malayalam).

I don't think there is a terminal "i" in malayalam. It is mulla, dos(h)a etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 am

blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:
This online dictionary says azhagi could mean, Miss Universe, Belle, Queen, Smasher, Venus ....

i am very confused. if indo knows to read tamil, why is he asking us? or is this a case of rashmunitis -- cutting and pasting script in a language one doesn't have a clue about with abandon?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what do you mean "i chose"? so you have three handles now: sara boji, mulai azhagi and indophile? in that case, why would you ask us questions about your own handle?

Shocked
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 am

the script that follows miss universe says "ulaga azhagi" meaning world beauty or something to that effect. seems like a very low quality dictionary. if i were to hazard a guess, indo typed the word "azhagi" in the search field of the dictionary and it just spat out every occurrence of the word in the dictionary without giving the actual meaning of the word.

the description that follows the word model is interesting. it says viLambara azhagi. literally, a beauty used in an advert. indo's dictionary is quite quirky.

here is a better one: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/fabricius/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote: indo's dictionary is quite quirky.

Hey! That dictionary showed up at the very top of my google search for "Tamil-English online dictionary." I have no complaints - it gives good fodder for one's imagination. Try the word "mulai" and the permutations and combinations with the meaning of the word "azhagi" are very interesting.

Further, I am too old now to learn a new language. Why poop the party fun that elementary or half knowledge delivers: Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:25 am

blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:

I paste-posted the "partial" dictionary entry for "azhagi" in one of the posts in this thread. The "Ms. Universe" meaning shows up on the left column.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:57 am

Why poop the party fun that elementary or half knowledge delivers: Smile

_________

Frankly..imv, this is just a fun conversation.

When it comes to using names for body parts..one can learn a lot from patients and what they use to refer to them..some of them are so unusual and personal- not to mention amusing..(in the US..have seen people even name their breasts)

*Sara,

And thanks to people like you.."breasts" can always lead to a conversation..which puts a smile on people's faces:) Absolutely..no difference between white conservatives, black liberals or brown moderates!

Seriously, since I have been around white conservatives a lot..can say that we can totally disagree on anything..but if the "tone" is right and one is polite and cordial..it's fun to talk to each other- their "reactions" are fine..we look forward to meeting and talking about different issues..we know where we stand, but it's often pleasant and ends on a nice note!

*We can seldom change anyone's mind on issues like religion, race, politics..but sometimes people who may have similar views like us..are so harsh, cold..and disrespectful..it's far more unpleasant to talk to them, imo!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:34 am

truthbetold wrote:Sara boji told us the story behind the name on this forum. I don't want to steal his thunder by repeating the story. Hold your breath and wait for his story.
i suppose you don't know the difference between "repeating the story" and "repeatedly slandering" someone at a public forum.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 am

i have heard mulai used as a derogatory term referreing to breasts. mullai OTOH, is a beautiful word that can also mean "manmathan's ambu" [arrow] because his arrow is made out of a fragrant flower. We depict this in BN all the time.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 am

ah u tamil folks are so complicated (aka confused)... sara should have just named himself sundar stan, and none of us hindian folks would have wasted threads after threads dissecting it (the word, not the breasts).

See, hindi is that clear and straightforward. That's why they keep on asking you to learn it probably. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Natalia Romanova on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:49 am

indophile wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote: indo's dictionary is quite quirky.

Hey! That dictionary showed up at the very top of my google search for "Tamil-English online dictionary." I have no complaints - it gives good fodder for one's imagination. Try the word "mulai" and the permutations and combinations with the meaning of the word "azhagi" are very interesting.

Further, I am too old now to learn a new language. Why poop the party fun that elementary or half knowledge delivers: Smile
you have a terrible record with dictionaries. no "renumeration" for you for misusing them.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 am

i think the derogatoriness is not intrinsic to the word but imputed by vidalai pasangaL (adolescent boys). how can it be derogatory when it finds place in all kinds of classic literature? one instance i can recall right away used in a religious context is the kandar sashti kavacham in which the phrase, "sEriLa mulaimAr thiruvEl kAkka" (let the holy spear of lord murugan guard my young pair of breasts).

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:52 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:ah u tamil folks are so complicated (aka confused)... sara should have just named himself sundar stan, and none of us hindian folks would have wasted threads after threads dissecting it (the word, not the breasts).

See, hindi is that clear and straightforward. That's why they keep on asking you to learn it probably. Twisted Evil

>>>> Stan was our old VP of Sales. Wonder if he pulled in such great numbers

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:55 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:ah u tamil folks are so complicated (aka confused)... ..

it isn't complicated. what's true though is that some people have hearing problems with their inability to hear and recognize doubled consonants.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:56 am

Kris wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:ah u tamil folks are so complicated (aka confused)... sara should have just named himself sundar stan, and none of us hindian folks would have wasted threads after threads dissecting it (the word, not the breasts).

>>>> Stan was our old VP of Sales. Wonder if he pulled in such great numbers

Smile

hehehe, was waiting for someone to come up with this twist. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:you have a terrible record with dictionaries. no "renumeration" for you for misusing them.

And you have a lot better luck with them kiddo! May be you should start subscribing to that Oxford dictionary like Hells Angel suggested.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 am

Maria S wrote:*Sara, And thanks to people like you.."breasts" can always lead to a conversation..which puts a smile on people's faces:)
woman, stop encouraging posters to make crude, sexual remarks about women's body parts.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:06 am

i have heard mulai used as a derogatory term referreing to breasts.

_______

Menaka..nice to see you!

Sure, it is derogatory (imo too), if an unknown person casually uses it! Like Sara going up and saying it someone, he hardly knows (sorry Sara!)

But, it's about context..during intimate talk between partners/lovers..you know language is often colloquial..and in tamil (as in all native languages)..it's raw- kochai! Of course, if one partner feels offended or thinks it's derogatory- don't think it will be ever uttered again!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:11 am

*And speaking of context- most patients use colloquial language too..to describe body parts..if one wants patients and "normal people" to share personal info about their medical conditions..there is nothing crude about it- as a matter of fact..a good medical history taker..better know all the colloquial terms..to communicate with the patient..make them feel comfortable which is quite valuable info..and not make them self-conscious and withdraw. It goes a long way in building comfort levels in the doctor-patient relationship. *Esp. with young and scared patients.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:18 am

Impedimenta wrote:i have heard mulai used as a derogatory term referreing to breasts. mullai OTOH, is a beautiful word that can also mean "manmathan's ambu" [arrow] because his arrow is made out of a fragrant flower. We depict this in BN all the time.

But Manmatha has 5 arrows, right? I recall from Valmiki Ramayana those flowery arrows delivered with a sugar cane bow as -

1.aravinda= a lotus 2. ashoka= flower from Ravana’s famous garden; 3. chutam= mango flower, 4.nava mallika= new jasmine, 5.neelotpala= blue lotus

The first arrow “aravinda” causes unmaada or maniacal state, second arrow “ashoka” causes tapana or no other thought-type state; third “chutam” causes shoshana or getting red and wasting away, fourth “nava mallika” causes sthambhana or standstillness; and finally the fifth “neelotpala” causes sammohana stupefaction, and throws one into point-of-no return.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:48 pm

indophile wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:i have heard mulai used as a derogatory term referreing to breasts. mullai OTOH, is a beautiful word that can also mean "manmathan's ambu" [arrow] because his arrow is made out of a fragrant flower. We depict this in BN all the time.

But Manmatha has 5 arrows, right? I recall from Valmiki Ramayana those flowery arrows delivered with a sugar cane bow as -

1.aravinda= a lotus 2. ashoka= flower from Ravana’s famous garden; 3. chutam= mango flower, 4.nava mallika= new jasmine, 5.neelotpala= blue lotus

The first arrow “aravinda” causes unmaada or maniacal state, second arrow “ashoka” causes tapana or no other thought-type state; third “chutam” causes shoshana or getting red and wasting away, fourth “nava mallika” causes sthambhana or standstillness; and finally the fifth “neelotpala” causes sammohana stupefaction, and throws one into point-of-no return.

yes, there are some instances where one of his arrows is depicted as mullai ambu. My next show is a theme, shivam. there is a scene which is the romantic interlude between shiva and young parvathi. First he refuses to acknowledge her presence even though he is destined to be her spouse[she being sati's reincarnation] but when manmathan tries to use his arrow of mullai to induce lust in him, he gets burnt because shiva opens his third eye in anger. RAti faints seeing this. We are working with a lyricist who has come up with a beautiful composition in thamizh dpeicting this. Most of this is imagination and the richness of it!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think the derogatoriness is not intrinsic to the word but imputed by vidalai pasangaL (adolescent boys). how can it be derogatory when it finds place in all kinds of classic literature? one instance i can recall right away used in a religious context is the kandar sashti kavacham in which the phrase, "sEriLa mulaimAr thiruvEl kAkka" (let the holy spear of lord murugan guard my young pair of breasts).

you are right about that! but then, i listen to more of kandar sashti kavacham now than when i was growing up where i heard this used in a derogatory manner.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Maria S wrote:i have heard mulai used as a derogatory term referreing to breasts.

_______

Menaka..nice to see you!

Sure, it is derogatory (imo too), if an unknown person casually uses it! Like Sara going up and saying it someone, he hardly knows (sorry Sara!)

But, it's about context..during intimate talk between partners/lovers..you know language is often colloquial..and in tamil (as in all native languages)..it's raw- kochai! Of course, if one partner feels offended or thinks it's derogatory- don't think it will be ever uttered again!

hi M akka, always good to see you. Don't know how i will react if my partner uses the word mulai. probably not good:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down