Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secrets of the Muslim bathroom

Go down

Secrets of the Muslim bathroom Empty Secrets of the Muslim bathroom

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Added to this list is the “lota,” which is used in Muslim communities, including most South Asian populations, to aid in cleansing rituals. The lota is a magical chalice for our peoples – it’s a traditional hand-held vessel that contains water to assist in our bathroom “activities.” Using a baseball lineup analogy, toilet paper and moist wipes are a “leadoff” hitter, but the lota functions as the “clean-up hitter,” the player with the power to bring all the players to home plate.

nce, during high school, my non–South Asian friend visited and asked to use the restroom. Upon emerging, he asked,

“Dude, why is there a flower vase next to your toilet and clear water on the floor?”

My smoking gun was a cracked, plastic watering jug sitting next to the toilet. The leaky lota betrayed me!

“Um, uh, we, uh, water our plants. That’s why,” I sheepishly replied.

“Dude, there are no plants in the bathroom,” he responded.

“Right, good observation. Let me order you a pizza now. Any toppings you want.” I bribed him with cheese-y goodness, but our relationship was forever strained.

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/10/secrets_of_the_muslim_bathroom/

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down