Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

organic milk - is it way too processed?

4 posters

Go down

organic milk - is it way too processed? Empty organic milk - is it way too processed?

Post by Bittu Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:15 pm

If you buy regular milk, the expiration date on the carton/jug is a few days out, maybe a week or so tops. If you buy organic milk however, the date can be weeks out. I bought organic milk from BJs on the 8th of July. The expiration date was AUG 17th. That's FIVE weeks out. Makes me wonder, why?

Why does organic milk stay good so goddamn long?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

organic milk - is it way too processed? Empty Re: organic milk - is it way too processed?

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:21 pm

We buy from whole foods. I have not noticed the exact dates of expiry but I remember it is not that long.

Are you buying the room temp stuff from Horizon?
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

organic milk - is it way too processed? Empty Re: organic milk - is it way too processed?

Post by Bittu Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 pm

should have googled: https://www.google.com/search?q=why+does+organic+milk+last+longer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Bittu wrote:should have googled: https://www.google.com/search?q=why+does+organic+milk+last+longer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I do that when the milk is going to expire soon (non organic). I boil it well (sometimes I freeze). It stays fine for days (maybe even weeks). Stays fine even when not refrigerated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:39 am

Bittu wrote:If you buy regular milk, the expiration date on the carton/jug is a few days out, maybe a week or so tops. If you buy organic milk however, the date can be weeks out. I bought organic milk from BJs on the 8th of July. The expiration date was AUG 17th. That's FIVE weeks out. Makes me wonder, why?

Why does organic milk stay good so goddamn long?

One of the fastest growing product in India is "Cavin Milk" which is sold in sealed packets which last upto 120 days. It is original milk, and company headquartered in Bhavani, TN (near Erode or 300 miles SW of Madras). They are opening milk production in other Southie states and soon in Naarthie states.

Cavin milk products

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

One of the fastest growing product in India is "Cavin Milk" which is sold in sealed packets which last upto 120 days. It is original milk, and company headquartered in Bhavani, TN (near Erode or 300 miles SW of Madras). They are opening milk production in other Southie states and soon in Naarthie states.

Cavin milk products

I am at Chennapatnam right now. What I see everywhere is Aavin milk. Cavin is competition to Aavin maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 am

i bought milk at Whole Foods and made it a point to check the date. The expiry dates on all the gallon jugs were approximately 8-10 days from the day of purchase. I guess they don't use UHT to pasteurize their milk.

Thanks for the info.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:03 pm

kinnera wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Cavin milk products

I am at Chennapatnam right now. What I see everywhere is Aavin milk. Cavin is competition to Aavin maybe?

Sounds like ultra-pasteurized milk. UP milk is almost similar to water -no protein, no calories, no calcium, no yogurt, no cheese. It is white colored water...can be stored longer than 120 days.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down