Jahangir and Jesus

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Mon May 23, 2011 2:09 am

yes. goblet to go with gobi-alu-baigan.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Mon May 23, 2011 2:12 am

I have never really cared for these Mughal paintings.

After reading this thread, I will find it hard to keep a straight face if I happen to see another one and will probably analyze it closely to read the "truth" behind it.



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Another Brick on Mon May 23, 2011 2:24 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yes. goblet to go with gobi-alu-baigan.

gobble gobble gobble

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Mon May 23, 2011 4:46 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:today, 22nd may 2011, badshah, kaiser-e-hind, jahanpanah is sporting an eagle on his right hand.

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empero10

This was a poster for the award-winning 16th century movie: The Man who Stares at Falcons. Remade five centuries later, starring goats and George Clooney.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 5004
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Mon May 23, 2011 5:11 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i am not sure. falcon seems to be a new world bird. i think the bird in the pic. is a kite. i just checked in on online hindi dictionary. चील translated to kite. kites were used to transmit messages. like chickens and pigeons, kites were also nurtured for sport.

i was wrong. falcons, not kites, were nurtured for sport. falcon translates to बाज़

txs. merlot for the additional proof.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Another Brick on Mon May 23, 2011 6:20 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote: This was a poster for the award-winning 16th century movie: The Man who Stares at Falcons. Remade five centuries later, starring goats and George Clooney.

and Hypnotize Me (forthcoming) movie is inspired by jahangir's painting in which, as huzefa kapasi suggested, he is determinedly hypnotizing a brinjal.

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Mon May 23, 2011 6:26 am

Lol.The memories of traumatic childhood that the Kaiser-e-hind extracted from the brinjal in this fashion went on to be immortalized in the love ballad: bagara-e-baingan.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 5004
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Mon May 23, 2011 6:36 am

sir thomas roe, east india company: mere paas shirt hai, suit hai, railroad hai, makaan hai, tumhare paas kya hai?
emperor jehangir: mere pass alu hai.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:today, 22nd may 2011, badshah, kaiser-e-hind, jahanpanah is sporting an eagle on his right hand.

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empero10

This was a poster for the award-winning 16th century movie: The Man who Stares at Falcons. Remade five centuries later, starring goats and George Clooney.

Come to think of it, there are similarities even in the poster design between the two versions. And that courtier in the foreground does look a bit like Clooney...

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 The+men+who+stare+at+goats+frontsmall
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 5004
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Mon May 23, 2011 11:25 am

today, 23rd may 2011, the badshah, jahapanah, is again seen holding an alu in his right hand

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Pic_ja10

*man, the emperor loves alus*

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by charvaka on Mon May 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:today, 23rd may 2011, the badshah, jahapanah, is again seen holding an alu in his right hand

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Pic_ja10

*man, the emperor loves alus*
This is the most hilarious thread ever. You guys are really going to cure Rashmun of his obsession with Jahangiri paintings. If only she knew, Malini Iyengar would thank you for that!
charvaka
charvaka

Posts : 4347
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Berkeley, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Hellsangel on Mon May 23, 2011 5:09 pm

charvaka wrote:
You guys are really going to cure Rashmun of his obsession with Jahangiri paintings.
Are you a betting man?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by charvaka on Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 am

Hellsangel wrote:
charvaka wrote:
You guys are really going to cure Rashmun of his obsession with Jahangiri paintings.
Are you a betting man?
Let me put it this way... it's a win-win either way. He stops, and Ms. Iyengar is happy. He doesn't and we continue to get lots of laughs about jahanpanah kaiser-e-hind badshah.
charvaka
charvaka

Posts : 4347
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Berkeley, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Another Brick on Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:today, 23rd may 2011, the badshah, jahapanah, is again seen holding an alu in his right hand

*man, the emperor loves alus*

lol. can't get enough of jahangir. jahangir might have failed to hypnotize the brinjal in his hand, but he has successfully hypnotized the CH community. heil jahangir!

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Kris on Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 am

[quote="Merlot Daruwala"]
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:today, 22nd may 2011, badshah, kaiser-e-hind, jahanpanah is sporting an eagle on his right hand.

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empero10

>>>> On a somewhat serious note- as serious as one can get in this thread- that posture seems painful and must be murder on the knees. If he was the kaiser wilhelm, why couldn't he have picked up a lazy boy or something from the delhi levitz?

Kris

Posts : 5349
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Another Brick on Tue May 24, 2011 3:46 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:today, 22nd may 2011, badshah, kaiser-e-hind, jahanpanah is sporting an eagle on his right hand.

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empero10

here is what i deduce from this picture. it's diwali. mr J, as we all know, was a staunch secular and celebrated diwali. the guy behind him is holding a burning phoolbaja in his hand. it appears that shah of iran is coming to visit mr J and wish him happy diwali.

mr J (pointing in the direction from where shah of iran is coming) - "look, shah of iran is coming this way!"
the guy behind mr J - "aww figs! i better hold my nada tight."

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 am

Another Brick wrote:the guy behind him is holding a burning phoolbaja in his hand.

hahahhaaaa

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by ashdoc on Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 am

Another Brick wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:today, 22nd may 2011, badshah, kaiser-e-hind, jahanpanah is sporting an eagle on his right hand.

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empero10

here is what i deduce from this picture. it's diwali. mr J, as we all know, was a staunch secular and celebrated diwali. the guy behind him is holding a burning phoolbaja in his hand. it appears that shah of iran is coming to visit mr J and wish him happy diwali.

mr J (pointing in the direction from where shah of iran is coming) - "look, shah of iran is coming this way!"
the guy behind mr J - "aww figs! i better hold my nada tight."

ho ho ho !!

ashdoc

Posts : 2250
Join date : 2011-05-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:46 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: kites were used to transmit messages. like chickens and pigeons, kites were also nurtured for sport.

that's not correct. pigeons were used to carry messages. falcons were used to intercept them by hunting down carrier pigeons (and which is why they were nurtured). many paintings of maharaja ranjit singh show a falcon perched on his shoulder.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:25 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: kites were used to transmit messages. like chickens and pigeons, kites were also nurtured for sport.

that's not correct. pigeons were used to carry messages. falcons were used to intercept them by hunting down carrier pigeons (and which is why they were nurtured). many paintings of maharaja ranjit singh show a falcon perched on his shoulder.

Why couldn't falcons be used to transmit messages?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Hellsangel on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:06 am

Actually MJ pioneered the use of trained insects to relay messages. Hence the term bug for listening devices in the present day.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am

Rashmun wrote:Why couldn't falcons be used to transmit messages?

i think because it was easier to train pigeons. pigeons could be trained to fly in a horde from one coop to another and to always return to their coop even if released many miles away. you could tie the same message to several pigeons in a domesticated bunch to ensure at least one reached the destination. falcons, being birds of prey, operated singly and did not, i think, exhibit likewise behaviour.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Why couldn't falcons be used to transmit messages?

i think because it was easier to train pigeons. pigeons could be trained to fly in a horde from one coop to another and to always return to their coop even if released many miles away. you could tie the same message to several pigeons in a domesticated bunch to ensure at least one reached the destination. falcons, being birds of prey, operated singly and did not, i think, exhibit likewise behaviour.

but if you tied the same message to several pigeons it would also increase the likelihood of the enemy getting access to your message.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:42 pm

that depends on the message you want to communicate. sometimes you might not care if it is intercepted. a solitary pigeon is also capable of flying back to it's coop (or another coop after training). so, you always have a choice.

falcons, being predators, can be taught to return to their base but not to fly to another base. because, pigeons are trained by the stimulant fodder that exists on the ground but a falcon's fodder is always airborne.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Idéfix on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:23 pm

This was one of first hilarious threads of SuCH. I was reminded of it when a friend recently posted this picture on a social network and it showed up on my Flipboard. Perhaps this community can help me identify the vegetable the jahanpanah is holding in his customary right hand.

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Jahangir
Idéfix
Idéfix

Posts : 8808
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : Berkeley, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:38 pm

who did what to his waist and butt?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Idéfix on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:who did what to his waist and butt?
Yeah, that is quite remarkable. I just re-read this thread, and there were some theories offered regarding this upthread. I also wish to know whether those were rhinestones on his translucent lehenga.


Last edited by panini press on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Idéfix
Idéfix

Posts : 8808
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : Berkeley, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Hellsangel on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:who did what to his waist and butt?

He probably sat all day wearing a corset.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by ashaNirasha on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Heh, I could never look at all those paintings in the Indian restaurants the same way again.

ashaNirasha

Posts : 362
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Captain Bhankas on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 am

ROFLLLLLL!!! classic.

this thread can easily pass all the rigorous FDA tests for anti-depressant drugs. is there anything jahangir cannot do? you tell me one person who can hypnotize fowls, veggies and cure depression.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Posts : 676
Join date : 2013-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:48 am

It is appropriate to refer in this thread to the praise showered on Jahangir in the past by the J man's fan Charvaka:

http://such.forumotion.com/t8873-charvaka-the-great-admirer-of-akbar-and-jahangir#67458

Incidentally Charvaka's admiration for Jahangir developed after he read my posts on the Mughal emperor. As everyone knows Charvaka used to be a fan of what I would write on Sulekha. This was before he developed an undying hatred for me after I severely wounded his sentiments by praising a leader of the Congress party since Charvaka considers the Congress to be his personal enemy.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Idéfix on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:05 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:ROFLLLLLL!!! classic.

this thread can easily pass all the rigorous FDA tests for anti-depressant drugs. is there anything jahangir cannot do? you tell me one person who can hypnotize fowls, veggies and cure depression.
Seriously, it is not possible to read this thread seriously. I ended up cracking up so many times.

Here is the emperor with another round object.
Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Jahangir_-_Abu_al-Hasan
Idéfix
Idéfix

Posts : 8808
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : Berkeley, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 am

panini press wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:ROFLLLLLL!!! classic.

this thread can easily pass all the rigorous FDA tests for anti-depressant drugs. is there anything jahangir cannot do? you tell me one person who can hypnotize fowls, veggies and cure depression.
Seriously, it is not possible to read this thread seriously. I ended up cracking up so many times.

Here is the emperor with another round object.
Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Jahangir_-_Abu_al-Hasan

I had a good laugh myself when I dug up your thread praising Jahangir where you claim he was far ahead of his European contemporaries. The reason for my amusement was The fact that when you shower praise on Jahangir you expect everyone should take you seriously but when others do the same you believe they should be ridiculed in the event that they have shown the slightest appreciation for anyone from the party you consider your mortal enemy i.e. Congress.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by southindian on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: kites were used to transmit messages. like chickens and pigeons, kites were also nurtured for sport.

that's not correct. pigeons were used to carry messages. falcons were used to intercept them by hunting down carrier pigeons (and which is why they were nurtured). many paintings of maharaja ranjit singh show a falcon perched on his shoulder.

Why couldn't falcons be used to transmit messages?

Rashmun, that's because they were 16-bit falcons unable to handle full-duplex transmissions in Jahangir's times. For a good transmission, a minimum of 32-bit falcons with dual-core processors needed which came a little later.
southindian
southindian

Posts : 4588
Join date : 2012-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by artood2 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 pm

southindian wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: kites were used to transmit messages. like chickens and pigeons, kites were also nurtured for sport.

that's not correct. pigeons were used to carry messages. falcons were used to intercept them by hunting down carrier pigeons (and which is why they were nurtured). many paintings of maharaja ranjit singh show a falcon perched on his shoulder.

Why couldn't falcons be used to transmit messages?

Rashmun, that's because they were 16-bit falcons unable to handle full-duplex transmissions in Jahangir's times. For a good transmission, a minimum of 32-bit falcons with dual-core processors needed which came a little later.

hahaha.. eagle, falocomn all in good hands (or should I say ARMs?).
artood2
artood2

Posts : 1321
Join date : 2011-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Idéfix on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 pm

artood2 wrote:
southindian wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: kites were used to transmit messages. like chickens and pigeons, kites were also nurtured for sport.

that's not correct. pigeons were used to carry messages. falcons were used to intercept them by hunting down carrier pigeons (and which is why they were nurtured). many paintings of maharaja ranjit singh show a falcon perched on his shoulder.

Why couldn't falcons be used to transmit messages?

Rashmun, that's because they were 16-bit falcons unable to handle full-duplex transmissions in Jahangir's times. For a good transmission, a minimum of 32-bit falcons with dual-core processors needed which came a little later.

hahaha.. eagle, falocomn all in good hands (or should I say ARMs?).
lol!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Posts : 8808
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : Berkeley, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by doofus_maximus on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm

my favorite Jangiri picture...

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSIVtXo9hZ8bCiy1Nv1v_hG645PC-XFMjJtZDwgv0NwZTvpp78
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks DM. I now know what I'm doing for v day. I am taking kids to mithas or sukhadia tomorrow after work where we could eat all sweets and chat that we want. I am going to face a HUGE resistance, coz they may wanna do Italian, Mexican, American or Japanese. (Kinda like when kids asked what will we name our pony if we buy one, and I had said, 'laloo prasad)'. But eventually they will come around, just like how they now think laloo prasad is a cute pony name.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Petrichor on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:27 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:my favorite Jangiri picture...

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSIVtXo9hZ8bCiy1Nv1v_hG645PC-XFMjJtZDwgv0NwZTvpp78

The correct way for a Jangiri to be is illustrated below:

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 L

Petrichor

Posts : 1725
Join date : 2012-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jahangir and Jesus - Page 2 Empty Re: Jahangir and Jesus

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum