Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did God help Gabrielle Douglas win?

2 posters

Go down

Did God help Gabrielle Douglas win?  Empty Did God help Gabrielle Douglas win?

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:51 pm

So even when Douglas is merely expressing her personal philosophy, posting #christmotivation quotes in her Twitter feed or talking about how she meditates daily on scripture, there’s always that lurking hint of proselytizism. Dear Christians: It’s a fine line between sharing your beliefs and selling them. And there’s something else too.

As a Christian myself (albeit one of those really freaky papist kinds), I’ve often wondered what it is about Christians like Douglas that unnerves me so. The closest I’ve been able to figure it is that Douglas and her ilk seem to espouse a faith based on what is commonly referred to as “The God of Parking Spaces.” It’s the deity that grants wishes to those who ask nicely. Douglas is a girl who has described God as the figure that’s “waking me up every morning and keeping me safe in the gym every day.” She told People Thursday, “I was on the bus and it was raining and I thought, ‘It’s going to be a great day.’ My mom used to tell me when I was little, ‘When it rains, it’s God’s manifestation, a big day’s waiting to happen.’ I texted my mom, ‘It’s raining. You know what that means.’” It means that Russian girl is going down, I guess.

Last week I had lunch with a friend who asked me how my own faith had played into my struggles with cancer and my current recovery. I told I don’t her that believe in a God who punished me with disease any more than I believe in one who rewarded me with health. I certainly don’t believe in one who “keeps me safe.” I don’t think I got to live while my friends Phoebe and Gigi died because I prayed better. I don’t think the force that I, for want of a better word, call God rains down sufferings or blessings based on individual piety. I believe in a grace that gives me the strength to muscle through the sufferings, and the gratitude to appreciate the blessings. That’s why the subtle implication, when an athlete or an artist says that God was with them on a winning day, seems so strange, and why, I imagine, it rings so hollow for others. And though I am in awe of a young girl whose talent is damn near miraculous, I likewise don’t believe in a God who made it rain for her to win.

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/03/did_god_help_gabrielle_douglas_win/

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Did God help Gabrielle Douglas win?  Empty Re: Did God help Gabrielle Douglas win?

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:25 pm

As a Christian myself (albeit one of those really freaky papist kinds), I’ve often wondered what it is about Christians like Douglas that unnerves me so. The closest I’ve been able to figure it is that Douglas and her ilk seem to espouse a faith based on what is commonly referred to as “The God of Parking Spaces.” It’s the deity that grants wishes to those who ask nicely. Douglas is a girl who has described God as the figure that’s “waking me up every morning and keeping me safe in the gym every day.” She told People Thursday, “I was on the bus and it was raining and I thought, ‘It’s going to be a great day.’ My mom used to tell me when I was little, ‘When it rains, it’s God’s manifestation, a big day’s waiting to happen.’ I texted my mom, ‘It’s raining. You know what that means.’” It means that Russian girl is going down, I guess.

___

So this is a new line of attack- attack her faith?! Why am I not surprised?

Only a person who wants to twist someone else's harmless statement (with no agenda- when it comes to faith and beliefs from what I see) would add their own line "It means that Russian girl is going down, I guess." would perhaps make sense. And she added many others, including "as I Christian myself"..to make it seem like she was not attacking her..while she was- adding her own guesses.
*I wonder what must be so mighty threatening/frightening..when a young lady expresses her "simple faith" with something her mother used to say and which was important to her..and this overreacting with "full of assumptions" to undermine her-her faith.

Somehow any expression of Faith, esp. Christian faith..seems to be trigger so many reactions in people these says..and people can't even express what makes them "who they are" -faith being a big part of it- as they percieve it (without offending/condemning anyone else- or putting down their faith/no faith).

I guess you got some satisfaction out of posting this one Sara..good for you:)

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Did God help Gabrielle Douglas win?  Empty Re: Did God help Gabrielle Douglas win?

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:52 pm

*I did read it again a few times..felt compassion for this poor author who must have been going through a lot of struggles with her faith..fighting cancer and all that comes with it.

She is absolutely entitled to express her frustration with God- Christian God (!)..and express how she sees God in her own way..if you are curious..I struggle a lot with my faith too from time to time..feel despair- when I feel powerless in situations beyond my control..but somehow return for grace..and leave many questions as questions- accept that I may never find answers.

*I only wish she did not drag a young person like Gabby into her own faith struggles..and use her moment of success-in the spotlight to attack her faith.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down