Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Hyderabad a cosmopolitan city?

+8
Jeremiah Mburuburu
ashdoc
The Absolute Zero
Idéfix
nevada
truthbetold
Kris
Kuamrji
12 posters

Go down

Is Hyderabad a cosmopolitan city? Empty Is Hyderabad a cosmopolitan city?

Post by Kuamrji Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:19 am

I forgot my password so had to open a new account

Wanted to know is Hyderabad a cosmopolitan city?

Do people (guys and girls) go out and hang out just like they do in say, Pune or Mumbai?

Can women wear things they wear in Pune and Mumbai without being judged?

What are the cool places to hangout?

What are the posh or cool localities where one can live alone?

What might be the best safe places to live close to Hitech City (where all the jobs are)?

What is the best, safest way to communte to work if you dont have your own car or 2-wheeler?

Can women travel by Cabs and rickshas alone, like they do in Pune Mumbai?

If one is returning from Europe or US, which might be the best metro for
him or her to live and work in, where the transition is the smoothest
coming from the west? Mumbai, Pune or Hyderabad? (Please give your
opinion on these 3 cities only)

Thanks and Regards

Kuamrji

Back to top Go down

Is Hyderabad a cosmopolitan city? Empty Re: Is Hyderabad a cosmopolitan city?

Post by Kris Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Kuamrji wrote:I forgot my password so had to open a new account

him or her to live and work in, ...

>>>Singapore Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Kuarmrji,

What is so special about Pune to be considered a standard of cosmopolitan city? (mumbai , I can understand).

What are criteria to rate Hyderabad against? Is it number of pubs or late night dance clubs?

In terms of transition from your relatively luxurious living style of west, any major Indian city provide similar comforts but power cuts, road congestion, and corrupt politicians make life discouraging.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:43 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kuarmrji,

What is so special about Pune to be considered a standard of cosmopolitan city? (mumbai , I can understand).

What are criteria to rate Hyderabad against? Is it number of pubs or late night dance clubs?

In terms of transition from your relatively luxurious living style of west, any major Indian city provide similar comforts but power cuts, road congestion, and corrupt politicians make life discouraging.

>>> I was in india a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps, that's what prompted my previous facetious post about Singapore. The problems in the metros seem to get worse each time I go back. I did meet a couple of people who had gone back after years and said that getting back into the swing of things has not been easy.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Moving back to india works for madhuri dixit because she got the cash from usa and charishma to sell in india. Rest of us have to struggle. Recent downturn hurt people in non it industry.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:21 am

truthbetold wrote:Moving back to india works for madhuri dixit because she got the cash from usa and charishma to sell in india. Rest of us have to struggle. Recent downturn hurt people in non it industry.

You are right. If you are not rich or politically connected or famous it is a dog's life in India.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuamrji Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:09 am

Thank you all. Given that traffic, pollution and dirt are common to all Indian cities, do you have any specific information about Hyderabad?

Kuamrji

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuamrji Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:11 am

PS:

Thank you all. Given that traffic, pollution and dirt are common to all
Indian cities, do you have any specific information about Hyderabad?

The question is not 'if' returning to India is worth it or not. Let's assume you are 'already' in India and are expecting curruption, pollution, traffic jams etc. Then where do you rank Hyderabad

Kuamrji

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuamrji Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 pm

bump

Kuamrji

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:36 pm

you got to wait for panini press to return kumarji. he is one a 2 week vacation. if urgent, send him a note via such. he might reply sooner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuamrji Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks can you please send note on my behalf and ask around. I am sure there are many other APites out here who can help me :-) And many non-APites who have lived in Hyderabad Im sure :-)

Kuamrji

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:03 pm

OK. i will send a note on your behalf. i will also ask him to respond in this thread and not over notes. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:39 pm

I was born and raised in hyd, but lost touch with the city for the past 20+ yrs. I'll try to answer your questions, but i may be wrong.

Kuamrji wrote:I forgot my password so had to open a new account

Wanted to know is Hyderabad a cosmopolitan city?

-----Kind of, sort of....not too bad, but not as comopolitan as Mumbai or B'lore.

Do people (guys and girls) go out and hang out just like they do in say, Pune or Mumbai?

-------I guess!

Can women wear things they wear in Pune and Mumbai without being judged?

---------Don't know what they wear in Pune and Mumbai. But yougsters in hyd mostly wear jeans and long kurtis and aunties (30+) wear salwars and sarees.

What are the cool places to hangout?

--------There are quite a number of them.

What are the posh or cool localities where one can live alone?

---------Jublee hills, banjara hills, madhapur, srinagar colony are a few

What might be the best safe places to live close to Hitech City (where all the jobs are)?

------the above mentioned ones

What is the best, safest way to communte to work if you dont have your own car or 2-wheeler?

---------Auto rickshaws. You get molested in city buses. Avoid them.

Can women travel by Cabs and rickshas alone, like they do in Pune Mumbai?

----------Ya, pretty safe as far as i know. Buy a map and know the city roads and all.

------------Don't know about Mumbai and Pune

Thanks and Regards

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:30 am

Kuamrji wrote:Wanted to know is Hyderabad a cosmopolitan city?
Depends on what you consider cosmopolitan. It certainly does not have as many expats as Bombay or Delhi, but it does have people from all over India. It has established communities from all major states, and it has historically been a crossroads within India, as the southern-most city of northern India and the northern-most city of southern India.

Kuamrji wrote:Do people (guys and girls) go out and hang out just like they do in say, Pune or Mumbai?
If you consider Pune cosmopolitan, Hyderabad is plenty cosmopolitan.

Kuamrji wrote:Can women wear things they wear in Pune and Mumbai without being judged?
Yes. You will see "judgment" on these matters all over India, but Hyderabad like Bombay and Bangalore are relative safe havens for women.

Kuamrji wrote:What are the cool places to hangout?
This does change with time, and I haven't lived there in several years. Back in my day, Banjara Hills, Jubilee Hills and Necklace Road were the hotspots.

Kuamrji wrote:What are the posh or cool localities where one can live alone?
Banjara Hills and Jubilee Hills have always been cool. Places near Hitec City are becoming so as well. Earlier the Secunderabad side used to be considered cool, but I don't know if that area has kept up.

Kuamrji wrote:What might be the best safe places to live close to Hitech City (where all the jobs are)?
Again, Banjara Hills, Jubilee Hills, Srinagar Colony, Begumpet, perhaps Gachibowli and Madhapur.

Kuamrji wrote:What is the best, safest way to communte to work if you dont have your own car or 2-wheeler?
Autorickshaws are safe. You also have the option of calling one of the many cab companies for a regular schedule, but that will be more expensive. Many tech companies run buses for their employees, which are also quite safe. The government buses which most of the residents use for their commute are overcrowded and not pleasant particularly for women.

Kuamrji wrote:Can women travel by Cabs and rickshas alone, like they do in Pune Mumbai?
Yes. I have routinely seen women traveling alone quite late into the night by autorickshaw.

Kuamrji wrote:If one is returning from Europe or US, which might be the best metro for
Mumbai -- too expensive, horrible commute, small houses. Pune -- a little bit provincial. Hyderabad would be my pick between those three cities. I would also recommend looking into Bangalore.

PS: My experience of Mumbai and Pune is very limited (have spent just a few days in each) so my impressions of those cities are more based on what I heard from friends who live there.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:43 am

panini press wrote:it has historically been a crossroads within India, as the southern-most city of northern India and the northern-most city of southern India.
very nicely put!

kuamrji, if you are not gung ho about living in AP in particular, i would recommend giving bangalore a shot. it has a metro (still parts of it WIP) and is truly cosmopolitan and safe for women (despite a few stray incidents that hit headlines). despite the bad publicity b'lore's traffic gets, i did not find traffic in bangalore half as bad as in mumbai or delhi during rush hours!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am

One thing from my miserly pocket (aka 2 cents)

The real estate in Hyd is through roof. Even if it is rental or for buying expect to spend a LOT of cash. Landlords do not have to write a lease or anything on paper. Even if they do, they would change rents regularly and you know Indian lawyers and courts can do next to nothing. Once the seller or landlord knows that you are from "Phoren" you will be milked at max level.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:09 pm

hyd has 40 percent muslims and they are very violent .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:18 pm

ashdoc wrote:hyd has 40 percent muslims and they are very violent .

True! And they are very rough too. They give no respect to the other person, even to their customers. In no other city or town will u encounter such disrespectful/ready_to_fight ppl. That is a fact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:21 pm

i suppose i shdn't ask if you're a northindian hindu.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:

Thatha Gerry: Do you know where Hyderabad is ?

Hyderabadi muslims behave in a kind way just as the Nizam treated his citizens. Just ask Rashmunullah Jehadi.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:

i am a maharashtrian brahmin .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Hyderabadi muslims behave in a kind way just as the Nizam treated his citizens. Just ask Rashmunullah Jehadi.

assholes marry their daughters ( like sania mirza ) to pakistanis .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:25 am

ashdoc wrote:assholes marry their daughters ( like sania mirza ) to pakistanis .
why does that upset you so much? because they would never let their daughters marry one of your kind? because the daughters, left to themselves, would rather marry the better-looking pakistanis? perhaps the daughters think that maharashtrian brahmin men are not virile enough.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 am

who are virile ones, o virile one?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:08 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:who are virile ones, o virile one?
certainly not nincompoops who whine about a person exercising her freedom of choice.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:why does that upset you so much? because they would never let their daughters marry one of your kind? because the daughters, left to themselves, would rather marry the better-looking pakistanis? perhaps the daughters think that maharashtrian brahmin men are not virile enough.
this maharashtrian brahmin does not want to marry a muslim .
but why cant these hyderabadis marry indian muslims . marriage to pukis is being traitor to your country .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:38 am

ashdoc wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:why does that upset you so much? because they would never let their daughters marry one of your kind? because the daughters, left to themselves, would rather marry the better-looking pakistanis? perhaps the daughters think that maharashtrian brahmin men are not virile enough.
this maharashtrian brahmin does not want to marry a muslim .
but why cant these hyderabadis marry indian muslims . marriage to pukis is being traitor to your country .

Bwahahaha..Doc, as a true patriot, you should marry Samiulla-mian of Kansas, another great patriot.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:03 am

Assdoc,
Your comments about hyd muslims marrying pak muslims is really stupid. Pakistani muslims were part of india only 60 years ago. Some muslim families of hyd have relationships with pak families. My understanding is that marriages between these families still happen but they went down significantly due to changed political realities. But what is the big deal if old family relations were revived through a marriage. To say that citizens should honor man made partition nations by cutting off relationship cords between families is impractical and against human nature. Those who really intend to perform treason would not be so brazen and open about it. Also which parent would put his or her child in danger by committing treason.
You are probably confused between greedy parents selling their young girls to some old farts from middle east for money and marriage to pakis. Two different issues.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:15 am

Correction: name of the poster was ashdoc.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:22 am

truthbetold wrote:Assdoc,
Your comments about hyd muslims marrying pak muslims is really stupid. Pakistani muslims were part of india only 60 years ago. Some muslim families of hyd have relationships with pak families. My understanding is that marriages between these families still happen but they went down significantly due to changed political realities. But what is the big deal if old family relations were revived through a marriage. To say that citizens should honor man made partition nations by cutting off relationship cords between families is impractical and against human nature. Those who really intend to perform treason would not be so brazen and open about it. Also which parent would put his or her child in danger by committing treason.
You are probably confused between greedy parents selling their young girls to some old farts from middle east for money and marriage to pakis. Two different issues.
+1

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 am

truthbetold wrote:Correction: name of the poster was ashdoc.

your magnanimity is unparalleled -by not substituting/mixing up the other vowel with the same freudian slip that you had shown and later corrected clap

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:36 am

garam_kuta wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Correction: name of the poster was ashdoc.

your magnanimity is unparalleled -by not substituting/mixing up the other vowel with the same freudian slip that you had shown and later corrected clap
i am counting on wisemen like you to pick up on that.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by KumarGji Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:26 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:One thing from my miserly pocket (aka 2 cents)

The real estate in Hyd is through roof. Even if it is rental or for buying expect to spend a LOT of cash. Landlords do not have to write a lease or anything on paper. Even if they do, they would change rents regularly and you know Indian lawyers and courts can do next to nothing. Once the seller or landlord knows that you are from "Phoren" you will be milked at max level.

Thank you to Panini Press Absolute Hero (:-)) and others who replied. Had a specific question about a point you raised (something I have never even thought of). I *assumed* that real estate in Hyderabad will obviously be low! I am surprised to read even in Hyd the real estate is through the roof! And that will be a major major point in decideing where I live.

Can any of you please give me some idea on say, how much would it be to rent a decent 1 or 2 bedroom flat in a nice locality like Banjara Hills (or any area close to HiTech city?). I know in Mumbai a 1 -bed room "decent" but 'empty' (no furniture) flat costs you Rs 21,000 + Rs 1 lakh deposit. How much would a similar 1 bed rent for in Banjara Hills? Thanks

KumarGji

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 am

you are registering a new id every time you are visiting this site. next time please choose "KumarGajni" as your id.

make your password simple. i mean set "simple" as your password.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:18 pm

truthbetold wrote: Those who really intend to perform treason would not be so brazen and open about it. Also which parent would put his or her child in danger by committing treason.

in india the so called '' secular '' govt ensures that such treason not only goes unchecked but those who commit such treason are protected !!

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:11 pm

ashdoc wrote:
truthbetold wrote: Those who really intend to perform treason would not be so brazen and open about it. Also which parent would put his or her child in danger by committing treason.

in india the so called '' secular '' govt ensures that such treason not only goes unchecked but those who commit such treason are protected !!
such treason is in first place. Marrying a pak national is not treason by any strech of imagination. So no one need to protect anybody. Since you think it is treason, explain why it is so.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:16 pm

truthbetold wrote:
such treason is in first place. Marrying a pak national is not treason by any strech of imagination. So no one need to protect anybody. Since you think it is treason, explain why it is so.

you are a moron whose imagination is very short so you probably cannot stretch your imagination far enough .
yeah , marrying your children to citizens of an enemy country which sends terrorists to murder your country's citizens is treason .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:40 pm

When you cannot answer a basic question (from a moron according to you), you may have a really weak argument. If you read history it is not unusual for two warring neighbours to have many cross citizen marriages. In addition you keep forgetting india and pak have been together for atleast 500 years if not more. Do not confuse pak govts evil acts with individual family's efforts to advance their childrens lives.
Next time take more time to use your faculties and think before you answer.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:02 pm

truthbetold wrote: If you read history it is not unusual for two warring neighbours to have many cross citizen marriages.

so there are a lot of traitors . that does not change my argument .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:05 pm

truthbetold wrote: In addition you keep forgetting india and pak have been together for atleast 500 years if not more.
and who split them apart---the muslims .
thats why one should not stay in places which have 40 percent of them---those places are likely to go up in communal flames a lot of time . hyderabad is one such place .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:07 pm

Cross citizen marriages = traitor
that is an unsupported assertion. You failed to ex plain
Your logic.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Your argume nt is hyd has hugr muslim population. It has its share of communalntensions. Your solution is that the non muslims ( the majority) should not live with them. Should they run away like the assamese people?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 pm

truthbetold wrote:Cross citizen marriages = traitor
that is an unsupported assertion. You failed to ex plain
Your logic.
cross citizen marriages with warring enemies like pakistan=traitor . that is logic .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:45 pm

truthbetold wrote:Your argume nt is hyd has hugr muslim population. It has its share of communalntensions. Your solution is that the non muslims ( the majority) should not live with them. Should they run away like the assamese people?
those who live there already and have immovable property there have no choice but to stay .but why invite trouble by going to places with 40 percent muslim population ??
thats why i say to my friends who want to reclaim our lost lands like pakistan and bangladesh that though partition of our sacred motherland was painful it should not be reversed .
why ??
at the time of partition the muslim population of undivided india was 24 percent . but due to uncontrolled population growth of muslims in the subcontinent if we decide to reunite today the muslim population of reunited india would be around 40 percent . and with their untrammeled population growth it would go to more than 50 percent in future . this would make hindus a minority in their own land .
a similar situation could happen in hyderabad . the 40 percent could go up to 50 percent and beyond any time due to uncontrolled population growth of muslims .
thats why stay away from hyderabad .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down