Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chris christie

+6
Maria S
Hellsangel
Petrichor
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
indophile
Impedimenta
10 posters

Go down

chris christie Empty chris christie

Post by Impedimenta Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:52 pm

good speech, especially considering how bad the rest of the speeches were. It was different also because he actually never spoke about either of the candidates much but more about the issues. I liked that he asked if the people wanted to appoint someone who is loved or respected. although, with his style, it should be someone who is "feared" :-)

He is someone who is brutally honest, not the kind of politics that either obama or romney is used to. in comparison, ann romney's speech came across as staged.

Although he endorsed romney, one could see the tension on romney's speech, given their recent controversy over his resignation intention.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

chris christie Empty Re: chris christie

Post by indophile Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 pm

A snide comment I heard.

Ann Romney hears voices, and Mitt speaks in tongues. Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Impedimenta wrote:good speech, especially considering how bad the rest of the speeches were. It was different also because he actually never spoke about either of the candidates much but more about the issues. I liked that he asked if the people wanted to appoint someone who is loved or respected. although, with his style, it should be someone who is "feared" :-)

He is someone who is brutally honest, not the kind of politics that either obama or romney is used to. in comparison, ann romney's speech came across as staged.

Although he endorsed romney, one could see the tension on romney's speech, given their recent controversy over his resignation intention.

What kind of a name is Chris Christie.... He should either decide to be Chris or ChristIE...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Ann Romney - found her speech fairly lame and couldn't help but contrast the reality of their wealth versus the words that they had it rough. Her biggest challenge seems to have been which one of the several doctors to call at midnight and figuring out who is likely to return the call soonest. Quite a far cry from the 95%.

Chris Christie - I expected a ball-buster but he was more kabuki theater. I estimate his IQ at 110 tops. Thought keynoting would mean more gravitas which he certainly had in the physical sense. He studiously avoided Romney-mentions, till he absolutely had to.

Nikki Haley - What a disappointment!!! Expected a much stronger showing.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:23 pm

atcg wrote:Ann Romney - found her speech fairly lame and couldn't help but contrast the reality of their wealth versus the words that they had it rough. Her biggest challenge seems to have been which one of the several doctors to call at midnight and figuring out who is likely to return the call soonest. Quite a far cry from the 95%.

Chris Christie - I expected a ball-buster but he was more kabuki theater. I estimate his IQ at 110 tops. Thought keynoting would mean more gravitas which he certainly had in the physical sense. He studiously avoided Romney-mentions, till he absolutely had to.

Spoken like a true Democrat!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:good speech, especially considering how bad the rest of the speeches were. It was different also because he actually never spoke about either of the candidates much but more about the issues. I liked that he asked if the people wanted to appoint someone who is loved or respected. although, with his style, it should be someone who is "feared" :-)

What kind of a name is Chris Christie.... He should either decide to be Chris or ChristIE...

shh, corner m adi saamiyar, go watch a movie or something. you would be interested in the wizard of oz.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:47 pm

atcg wrote:Ann Romney - found her speech fairly lame and couldn't help but contrast the reality of their wealth versus the words that they had it rough. Her biggest challenge seems to have been which one of the several doctors to call at midnight and figuring out who is likely to return the call soonest. Quite a far cry from the 95%.

you too, corner along with m adi saamiyar. go get max watch thillana mohanambal on netflix.

i find the whole drama about the wealth of the romneys to be distracting. nothing more. nothing less. on of my issues with mr obama is his tendency to want to be loved by all. actually, with the exception of dr ron paul, no politician in either of the parties talk about politics wrt history which is sad because there is no better precedence for the economy than the past and how politicians from different eras have handled issues like unemployment, welfare and healthcare. all these issues are existing from day 1.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Thangai I,

While I disagree with Mr. CC on many of his views..and don't care for his brash and insensitive style (bordering on a bully) at least he is an "original"..and grabs attention. I was expecting more from him yesterday as a key note speaker..he almost ignored Mr. Romney and touted his own glory..was a bad choice for key note speaker.

*In any case.. emotions are fluid..even separating emotions so neatly.. is impossible as Dr. Chris Christie the love and respect expert seemed to lecture to people (Sure, his mother may have said that..but she's a mother- who usually talks about love and feelings to her children!) And he was contradicting Ann Romney, who had just finished talking about love, about love for her boy- boyfriend/husband, love for her children, love for American brothers and sisters..love for American women etc!)

I think it is selling oneself short- by asking the question do you want to be *loved or respected (In the public service context/leadership context-what's love got to do with it- it's like and not love)! and they are not mutually exclusive for most human beings, most of the time..if you love/like someone..you do respect them in some ways..and if you respect someone-you usually like/love them..there are only rare occasions where one hates someone, but respects them and vice versa.

*Next week, I will analyze the Democrats too if/when they talk about love and love stories..you'll see..

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Here is a review from..of all people, a Fox news anchor:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/chris-christie-fox-news_n_1839972.html

I felt he said "I" a lot..but, not 37 times!

Excerpt:

He noted that Christie said the word "I" 37 times, "Romney" seven times, and "jobs" one time.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Did ryan speak yet?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Looks like ryan is getting ready to speak at 10:30? Why so late? Yhat is 7:30 on the wezt coast? None of the western states are in contention. Other than idaho and alaska, who cares? All states in contention would have appreciated a 9 or 9:30 estern speech. Not a bright idea.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:38 pm

chris christie -- perturbing gravitational potential fields in and around new joisey since 1962.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:05 pm

truthbetold wrote:Looks like ryan is getting ready to speak at 10:30? Why so late? Yhat is 7:30 on the wezt coast? None of the western states are in contention. Other than idaho and alaska, who cares? All states in contention would have appreciated a 9 or 9:30 estern speech. Not a bright idea.

the only part of the speech i liked was the music that followed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:10 pm

why are american male politicians, especially those who obviously have good, well taken care of physiques, afraid of wearing better cut and more form fitting suits? why do they have to wear these baggy clothes that does nothing to flatter them?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:chris christie -- perturbing gravitational potential fields in and around new joisey since 1962.

Ah the old weight jokes! I bet if it were a Democrat being made fun of, the sensitivity police would be in full swing!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:26 am

Impedimenta wrote: I liked that he asked if the people wanted to appoint someone who is loved or respected. although, with his style, it should be someone who is "feared" :-)

Machiavelli asked the same question... Is it better for a ruler to be loved or feared. His answer was the same as Christie's: to be feared. The straight talker didn't want to openly say it is better to be feared, so he changed the word to respected. The difference, of course, is that Machiavelli was talking about a despot prince, not a democratic leader who is accountable to the people.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:16 am

panini press wrote:
Impedimenta wrote: I liked that he asked if the people wanted to appoint someone who is loved or respected. although, with his style, it should be someone who is "feared" :-)

Machiavelli asked the same question... Is it better for a ruler to be loved or feared. His answer was the same as Christie's: to be feared. The straight talker didn't want to openly say it is better to be feared, so he changed the word to respected. The difference, of course, is that Machiavelli was talking about a despot prince, not a democratic leader who is accountable to the people.

Wonder what would the liberals say about this when it came to GWB! After all he was the guy more people would rather have a beer with.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 am

Hellsangel wrote:
panini press wrote:

Wonder what would the liberals say about this when it came to GWB! After all he was the guy more people would rather have a beer with.
That was before he won (thanks to the Supreme Court) the election. Once in office he became one of the most unpopular presidents ever, to the point that McCain was running against him last time around.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:23 am

panini press wrote:That was before he won (thanks to the Supreme Court) the election. Once in office he became one of the most unpopular presidents ever, to the point that McCain was running against him last time around.

Liberals can never get over blaming the Supreme Court and they forget that was only the 1st time around. He handily won the second term.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:44 am

panini press wrote:

It is true that Machiavelli says that it is better for a ruler to be feared than to be loved, but he adds an important caveat: it is that the ruler should not be hated.
On another note, Frederick the Great, Emperor of Prussia, writes in his 'Anti-Machiavelli' that it is better for a ruler to be loved than to be feared.
I do not think Christie had Machiavelli in mind when he made his statement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:57 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

It is true that Machiavelli says that it is better for a ruler to be feared than to be loved, but he adds an important caveat: it is that the ruler should not be hated.
On another note, Frederick the Great, Emperor of Prussia, writes in his 'Anti-Machiavelli' that it is better for a ruler to be loved than to be feared.

Anti-Machiavel is an 18th century essay by Frederick the Great, King of Prussia and patron of Voltaire, consisting of a chapter-by-chapter rebuttal of The Prince, the 16th century book by Niccolò Machiavelli, and Machiavellianism in general. It was first published in September 1740, a few months after Frederick became king.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Machiavel

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:21 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Anti-Machiavel is an 18th century essay by Frederick the Great, King of Prussia and patron of Voltaire, consisting of a chapter-by-chapter rebuttal of The Prince, the 16th century book by Niccolò Machiavelli, and Machiavellianism in general. It was first published in September 1740, a few months after Frederick became king.

Was Machiavelli talking in the context of a democracy?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:54 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

No.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:39 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

in my opinion a dullard will dismiss the views of Machiavelli and Frederick the Great (as expressed in the books 'The Prince' and 'Anti-Machiavel') on the ground that they did not have democracy in mind when they wrote these political books and hence the views expressed in these books have no relevance today. In contrast the intelligent observer will recognize that the views of Machiavelli and Frederick the Great apply not only to kings but also have relevance for analyzing anyone with executive power.

Consider for instance that when Sun Tzu wrote his 'Art of War' more than two thousand years ago there were no tanks and no artillery. And yet according the famous British military historian Basill Lidell Hart, Sun Tzu's book has 'eternal freshness' and that it should continue to be studied by all scholars on the subject of military strategy and tactics.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

in my opinion a dullard will dismiss the views of Machiavelli and Frederick the Great (as expressed in the books 'The Prince' and 'Anti-Machiavel') on the ground that they did not have democracy in mind when they wrote these political books and hence the views expressed in these books have no relevance today. In contrast the intelligent observer will recognize that the views of Machiavelli and Frederick the Great apply not only to kings but also have relevance for analyzing anyone with executive power.

Consider for instance that when Sun Tzu wrote his 'Art of War' more than two thousand years ago there were no tanks and no artillery. And yet according the famous British military historian Basill Lidell Hart, Sun Tzu's book has 'eternal freshness' and that it should continue to be studied by all scholars on the subject of military strategy and tactics.

IMO, in a truly functional democracy a leader would need to be elected and is not entitled to be a ruler. He cannot win on the basis of fear.

But again there are dullards and intelligent observers...
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:31 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

IMO, in a truly functional democracy a leader would need to be elected and is not entitled to be a ruler. He cannot win on the basis of fear.

A certain amount of fear in the populace is not a bad thing; for instance, people must have some fear that if they carry out criminal activities or indulge in wrongdoing they will be meted out appropriate punishment in accordance with the principles of justice. Machiavelli has qualified his statement by saying that a ruler must ensure that he does not arouse hatred amongst the ruled. This is only possible if the ruler is fair and just and does not mete out punishments in a whimsical manner.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

A certain amount of fear in the populace is not a bad thing; for instance, people must have some fear that if they carry out criminal activities or indulge in wrongdoing they will be meted out appropriate punishment in accordance with the principles of justice. Machiavelli has qualified his statement by saying that a ruler must ensure that he does not arouse hatred amongst the ruled. This is only possible if the ruler is fair and just and does not mete out punishments in a whimsical manner.

Having "a certain amount of fear" is not the same as fearing the ruler. in a democracy, judgements are meted out by the judiciary and not the executive.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:56 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:

Having "a certain amount of fear" is not the same as fearing the ruler. in a democracy, judgements are meted out by the judiciary and not the executive.

Machiavelli's statement about 'it is better to be feared than to be loved provided one is not hated' applies in modern times not just to the executive but also to the judiciary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Machiavelli's statement about 'it is better to be feared than to be loved provided one is not hated' applies in modern times not just to the executive but also to the judiciary.

could it be that Indira Gandhi exemplified Machiavelli's statement (leaving aside the emergency years)?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:56 pm

Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Judiciary does not have to be hated or loved they just have to be fair.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:

could it be that Indira Gandhi exemplified Machiavelli's statement (leaving aside the emergency years)?

that is actually a very good example. As soon as people started fearing Indira-Sanjay she was promptly booted out of power.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

that is actually a very good example. As soon as people started fearing Indira-Sanjay she was promptly booted out of power.

and subsequently she was voted back to power. Did the people fall in love with her after initially being in fear of her?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:

and subsequently she was voted back to power. Did the people fall in love with her after initially being in fear of her?

or were they still in fear when they re-elected her?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

if they were still in fear of her they would not have re-elected her as per your earlier statement. Does this mean that that they fell in love with her?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

if they were still in fear of her they would not have re-elected her as per your earlier statement. Does this mean that that they fell in love with her?

I was just saying that fear does not get people elected and it seems you agree. Other than that there are many other reasons to elect someone: love, respect, lack of alternative, populism, castu, family surname, religion etc etc.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down