Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nah we straight

3 posters

Go down

nah we straight Empty nah we straight

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/opinion/sunday/obama-and-the-racial-politics-of-american-english.html?hp
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

nah we straight Empty Re: nah we straight

Post by Maria S Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Nice article..always interesting to see him mix and match words, gestures from his multiple cultural identities..and very skillfully uses them, depending on the audience/person he is interacting with..and makes it seem "natural", which will not work for most people! He does use the Southern Black Preachers/leaders language with catchy terms..a few others like- "fired up and ready to go", "don't make noise/boo, just vote"..come to mind!

Of course the handshakes, fist bump and hug with pats, slap on the backside of Michelle (!- well that's me trying to be a dignified southern lady and use that term) and the bowing (ok, he overdoes that one!)..all come effortlessly- don't think it would be the same if other Presidents did the same slaps, bows and bumps!

Thought this one is funny:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/08/obama-birther-joke_n_1867709.html

Excerpt:

President Barack Obama was at an Orlando sports bar, snapping a University of Florida Gators' sign, sipping a pint and working a crowd when he walked up to a table with five children. One adult points to one of the boys, 7-year-old Andre Wupperman of Orlando, and informs the president that the boy was born in Hawaii, the president's native state.

The president, delighted, greeted the boy with a "shaka" sign, the pinky and thumb gesture typical of Hawaiian culture. The boy gestured back.
"You were born in Hawaii?" the president said. Then he added teasingly: "You have a birth certificate?"
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Maria S wrote:Nice article..always interesting to see him mix and match words, gestures from his multiple cultural identities..and very skillfully uses them, depending on the audience/person he is interacting with..and makes it seem "natural", which will not work for most people! He does use the Southern Black Preachers/leaders language with catchy terms..a few others like- "fired up and ready to go", "don't make noise/boo, just vote"..come to mind!

Of course the handshakes, fist bump and hug with pats, slap on the backside of Michelle (!- well that's me trying to be a dignified southern lady and use that term) and the bowing (ok, he overdoes that one!)..all come effortlessly- don't think it would be the same if other Presidents did the same slaps, bows and bumps!

Thought this one is funny:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/08/obama-birther-joke_n_1867709.html

Excerpt:

President Barack Obama was at an Orlando sports bar, snapping a University of Florida Gators' sign, sipping a pint and working a crowd when he walked up to a table with five children. One adult points to one of the boys, 7-year-old Andre Wupperman of Orlando, and informs the president that the boy was born in Hawaii, the president's native state.

The president, delighted, greeted the boy with a "shaka" sign, the pinky and thumb gesture typical of Hawaiian culture. The boy gestured back.
"You were born in Hawaii?" the president said. Then he added teasingly: "You have a birth certificate?"

Looks like he copied those skills from me....Wink

Whenever I deal with blacks I go into their natural way of interaction "hey man whats happenin" initially they are hesitant on how to deal with me - as a white or a black or a hispanic (this is becoming a huge problem nowadays) - but after a minute, they feel very comfy.

Glad Obamalu learnt those skills from me properly....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down