Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

feminist anthropology

Go down

feminist anthropology Empty feminist anthropology

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:10 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/american-university-professor-breast-feeds-sick-baby-in-class-sparking-debate/2012/09/11/54a06856-fc12-11e1-8adc-499661afe377_story.html

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/09/05/exposeing-my-breasts-on-the-internet/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

feminist anthropology Empty Re: feminist anthropology

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:10 pm

While I support public breastfeeding (I myself have done it a few times in india), I strongly believe that it should be done discreetly. A baby blanket or a shawl shld be spread on the shoulders covering the baby and the breasts. Exposing the breasts and the nipples in public, to total strangers, is being very uncourteous.
Wonder how the woman breastfed her baby in public and in her classroom in front of 40 students. Also, had she fed the baby before the class started, she could've avoided feeding her in front of e'one. A little common sense could've helped.
It is also irresponsible behavior on her part to take a sick child to the classroom, thereby exposing her students to the risk of infection. And the previous time she took the baby to the classroom, she seems to have let her loose, instead of fastening her in a pram or putting her in a portable playpen. It was the students who had to bring to her notice on two occasions, the first one when the baby had put a paper clip in her mouth and second when she tried to stick her fingers in the electrical outlet. Irresponsible behavior again putting her child in danger and also causing distraction to her students by letting the kid loose.

She seems pretty confrontational and aggressive (the second link) and is trying to put a feminist angle to what she did. That's in poor taste, imo.

Back to top Go down