Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh

5 posters

Go down

IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh Empty IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh

Post by sambarvada Mon May 23, 2011 9:39 pm

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/iit-iim-faculty-not-world-class-jairam-ramesh/153443-3.html

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh Empty Re: IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 9:43 pm

I haven't read this article but I went through some of the OCW posted by the IITs. They were so utterly boring and uninspiring. IITM has a long chant at the beginning of every video.

http://www.nptel.iitm.ac.in/

Back to top Go down

IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh Empty You are absloutely correct

Post by sambarvada Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm

blabberwock wrote:I haven't read this article but I went through some of the OCW posted by the IITs. They were so utterly boring and uninspiring. IITM has a long chant at the beginning of every video.

http://www.nptel.iitm.ac.in/

===> Compare Walter Lewin of MIT with any teacher at IIT.

Dr. Lewin comes out the real winner. The man makes you really like Physics and want to learn it.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh Empty About the chant on IIT website

Post by sambarvada Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Blabberwock

You are absloutely correct. It is too long. I can't wait for that to finish.

They should get rid off that.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh Empty Re: IIT, IIM faculty not world class: Jairam Ramesh

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 23, 2011 11:47 pm

sambarvada wrote:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/iit-iim-faculty-not-world-class-jairam-ramesh/153443-3.html

he is right on the money. This is what I have been saying for a long long time... And surprisingly ThOmas Padre also used to agree.

It is the students - the 10,000 out of the 500,000 - who keep the IIT flag flying, instead of the IIT faculty turning these 10,000 moto-rotos into brilliant engineers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am

And you need a research for this? Anyone who can do A$$mo$i$ to IIT department head - usually their own students of M.Tech and Ph.D., - get jobs as assistant professors and end up as department heads.

No outsider is allowed. Anyone from outside is considered a "useless" fellow whether his knowledge is good or not. The IIT tag alone works even if the guy from IIT is a super moron.

I can give a thousand examples - whom I know so closely. One of those IIT greats said "COLD is past tense of COOL," when I asked what is the difference between cool and cold. I am being 50000% serious, no joking.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:A$$mo$i$
What word were you trying to mask there? We don't have censorship here... you can use any swear words you like.

The Absolute Zero wrote:"COLD is past tense of COOL," when I asked what is the difference between cool and cold. I am being 50000% serious, no joking.
Have you considered the possibility that he was trying to be COOL with that reply? And that you were COLD to it?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue May 24, 2011 4:27 pm

charvaka wrote:Have you considered the possibility that he was trying to be COOL with that reply? And that you were COLD to it?

No he was serious and when we look into dictionary, he was adamant. The other guy from Vizag AU was stunned and said "Hey! You from IIT?" Since IIT guy was my good friend, I could not say a thing. Now we moved apart and lost contact

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue May 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
sambarvada wrote:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/iit-iim-faculty-not-world-class-jairam-ramesh/153443-3.html

he is right on the money. This is what I have been saying for a long long time... And surprisingly ThOmas Padre also used to agree.

It is the students - the 10,000 out of the 500,000 - who keep the IIT flag flying, instead of the IIT faculty turning these 10,000 moto-rotos into brilliant engineers.

I don't know. I know a couple of undergraduate EE students from reasonablly well-known engineering schools here (not MIT or Ann Arbor, however). They say they get a lot more (compared to what they get sitting in the classes here) when they play IIT-Kanpur & Kharagpur teaching videos, some of which are available on the net.
I think a blanket statement like that ("IITs' faculty is no good") by a responsible person is grossly unfair.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 24, 2011 5:00 pm

indophile wrote:I don't know. I know a couple of undergraduate EE students from reasonablly well-known engineering schools here (not MIT or Ann Arbor, however). They say they get a lot more (compared to what they get sitting in the classes here) when they play IIT-Kanpur & Kharagpur teaching videos, some of which are available on the net.
I think a blanket statement like that ("IITs' faculty is no good") by a responsible person is grossly unfair.

Like NI/SI, this topic doesn't lend itself to nuanced discussion on CH. The fact is, the "good students" argument applies to most top schools anywhere in the world. The IITs do have some good faculty but they don't stand out for how well they train those students.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down