Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A beautiful device...

+2
charvaka
Hellsangel
6 posters

Go down

A beautiful device... Empty A beautiful device...

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm

I am talking about the iPad2. Has anyone experienced this site on the iPad2?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

A beautiful device... Empty Re: A beautiful device...

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 12:51 am

Hellsangel wrote:I am talking about the iPad2. Has anyone experienced this site on the iPad2?
No, does it work?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Let me ask the experts here

ipad2 or some other tablet? If so, which one? why?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 1:02 am

blabberwock wrote:Let me ask the experts here

I would recommend an Android tablet. Get a nook color for much less, and load Honeycomb on it. If you are tech-savvy it isn't hard to do. And it is fun too.

Lots more control over your device, and you save a bundle.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 1:13 am

charvaka wrote:

I would recommend an Android tablet. Get a nook color for much less, and load Honeycomb on it. If you are tech-savvy it isn't hard to do. And it is fun too.

I am not tech savvy at all - nook sounds vaguely familiar (was it an e-reader?). No idea that honeycomb is. Let me google and educate myself.

I am very close to buying an ipad2 but for some reason, my older son is anti-apple and wants me to get an android device. Since my primary usage will be browsing the web, I have no preferences and am considering getting an Android just to humour him.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 1:16 am

blabberwock wrote:
I am not tech savvy at all - nook sounds vaguely familiar (was it an e-reader?). No idea that honeycomb is. Let me google and educate myself.

I am very close to buying an ipad2 but for some reason, my older son is anti-apple and wants me to get an android device. Since my primary usage will be browsing the web, I have no preferences and am considering getting an Android just to humour him.
Do you think you will need a physical keyboard? My wife tried the iPad and hated it because of the lack of a keyboard. So she got an ebook instead.

Your son is a sharp lad. Follow his advice. Very Happy

Honeycomb is the latest version of Android for tablets. A number of new Honeycomb devices are being launched this summer. Try them out in a store before you buy an iPad2.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 am

ipad is better than any tablet out there in terms of overall hardware/software combination. Playbook has better hardware but lags in software. If you are a big time web surfer who has 10 browser windows open and who does a lot of forum posting tbalets will be frustrating.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 1:52 am

Hellsangel wrote:I am talking about the iPad2. Has anyone experienced this site on the iPad2?

can you see the videos? I thought ipad does not have flash.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 1:53 am

No, I don't intend to use the keyboard or post using the tablet. Maybe send an occasional email. I post only on this forum anyway.

It is mainly to watch some youtube videos/ocw lectures and browse a few sites - gives me more mobility.

Not having flash may be a problem to view some videos?

Carvaka, I think my son will get along very well with you and Impedimenta - he does have too many (misguided?)opinions on Chrome/Google/Apple for a 10 year old. He hates Macs/iphones with a passion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed May 25, 2011 2:03 am

charvaka wrote:

It's called Honeycomb 'cos it is slow like honey. Razz. Android has some work to do before it catches up with iPad.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed May 25, 2011 2:05 am

blabberwock wrote:No, I don't intend to use the keyboard or post using the tablet. Maybe send an occasional email. I post only on this forum anyway.

It is mainly to watch some youtube videos/ocw lectures and browse a few sites - gives me more mobility.

Carvaka, I think my son will get along very well with you and Impedimenta - he does have too many (misguided?)opinions on Chrome/Google/Apple for a 10 year old. He hates Macs/iphones with a passion.

Flash is highly overrated. It's buggy & pain in the ass. Android tablets arent that good. If you want to get an Android tablet wait for another year.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 2:05 am

youtube has an app for ipad but you may have problems with flash based ocw lectures. (What type of ocw courses you do and what motivates you?)

I am a firm believer in no-fandom. Buy the most cost efficient product wiht the functionality you need. If apple does it for you fine, if google does it for you that is ok too. The power of free market is distorted by fandom.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 2:06 am

PseudoIntellectual wrote:
blabberwock wrote:No, I don't intend to use the keyboard or post using the tablet. Maybe send an occasional email. I post only on this forum anyway.

Flash is highly overrated. It's buggy & pain in the ass. Android tablets arent that good. If you want to get an Android tablet wait for another year.

Flash may be overrated or buggy but sites still run flash and if your content comes from one of those sites you are struck with ipad. Also file transfer and lack of external media support is a big pain in apple ecosystem.

Last edited by artood2 on Wed May 25, 2011 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 2:07 am

charvaka wrote:

It's called Honeycomb 'cos it is slow like honey. Razz. Android has some work to do before it catches up with iPad.

android releases are alphabetical: Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 am

I have no preferences and I want something that will meet my (minimal) needs. It seems like flash is required watch some of the things I want to watch. I don't care about apps (I will buy yours though) and other fancy things one can do with these gizmos.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 am

blabberwock wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Ask him not to buy Google's propaganda. Wink. The problem with Android devices is crappy hardware. Apple on the whole works better 'cos software is written for that hardware. If you really want to get an Android device wait for some more time.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 2:23 am

artood2 wrote:youtube has an app for ipad but you may have problems with flash based ocw lectures. (What type of ocw courses you do and what motivates you?)

I am a firm believer in no-fandom. Buy the most cost efficient product wiht the functionality you need. If apple does it for you fine, if google does it for you that is ok too. The power of free market is distorted by fandom.

I (try to)watch lectures on a range of topics - music, math, physics, philosophy, literature. And like all best things in life, they come for free!

I agree about buying what suits one the most without any cult loyalty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed May 25, 2011 2:24 am

blabberwock wrote:

I have no preferences and I want something that will meet my (minimal) needs. It seems like flash is required watch some of the things I want to watch. I don't care about apps (I will buy yours though) and other fancy things one can do with these gizmos.

The future belongs to HTML5. They will make that switch anyway. There are other options too like playbook and HP's Web OS based tablet.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 2:29 am

blabberwock wrote:It seems like flash is required watch some of the things I want to watch.
Yes, Flash is important if you want to watch videos on the web. Apple made a decision not to support it, and that means that some content won't be viewable on the iPad2.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 2:30 am

blabberwock wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Ask him not to buy Google's propaganda. Wink. The problem with Android devices is crappy hardware. Apple on the whole works better 'cos software is written for that hardware. If you really want to get an Android device wait for some more time.

Ha, try reasoning with a 10 year old. We have two imacs at home and he views them with total contempt and when he gets a chance, changes their background to "Mac is EVIL". He spends hours reading about Chrome and has been pleading with me to buy him a Chrome netbook (whatever that is!). He installed Chrome OS on his computer (I don't think it works) and uses only Google Docs for all his work. I have to cure him out of this madness. Of course, the younger guy simply follows what his brother does and so he too now hates Macs with a passion and wants a "Chrome OS" (like he knows what an OS is). It is all crazy.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 2:36 am

blabberwock wrote:
Ha, try reasoning with a 10 year old. We have two imacs at home and he views them with total contempt and when he gets a chance, changes their background to "Mac is EVIL". He spends hours reading about Chrome and has been pleading with me to buy him a Chrome netbook (whatever that is!). He installed Chrome OS on his computer (I don't think it works) and uses only Google Docs for all his work. I have to cure him out of this madness. Of course, the younger guy simply follows what his brother does and so he too now hates Macs with a passion and wants a "Chrome OS" (like he knows what an OS is). It is all crazy.

lol!
Chrome OS is too bleeding edge for me... I don't think there are any good devices that run it.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 am

Chrome OS has miles to go before they get anywhere. We need better security and speeds before having a cloud based computer. Google is known to have disclosed information to govt before. They are nothing but Gandhi of tech companies. Their great PR masks all their questionable deeds.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 am

Chrome OS loading as a ten year old. Jeez BW you need to take him out and introduce him to some pretty girls.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 2:39 am

PseudoIntellectual wrote:Chrome OS has miles to go before they get anywhere. We need better security and speeds before having a cloud based computer. Google is known to have disclosed information to govt before. They are nothing but Gandhi of tech companies. Their great PR masks all their questionable deeds.

Windows is the best Very Happy
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 2:40 am

PseudoIntellectual wrote:They are nothing but Gandhi of tech companies. Their great PR masks all their questionable deeds.
Laughing

You just paid them a huge compliment. Big Brother will be happy.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 2:47 am

artood2 wrote:Chrome OS loading as a ten year old. Jeez BW you need to take him out and introduce him to some pretty girls.

Haha, that won't work just yet because he thinks girls are "ugh". He is a member of the G.R.O.S.S club and Calvin is his hero, as of now.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 am

blabberwock wrote:Calvin is his hero
Another reason he will get along with Impy and me.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed May 25, 2011 1:47 pm

blabberwock wrote:

If you can wait a few weeks, you may wanna check out Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1. If I remember correctly, it is going to be released soon.

Also WebOS is a great software and so HPs touchpad too might be a good tablet to consider.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Yes. It looks beautiful:)
Works beautiful too. You say less, listen more. Typing is UGH!

Last edited by Tiana on Wed May 25, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Tiana wrote:You say less, less more.
?? Who is Les Moore?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Tiana wrote:You say less, less more.
?? Who is Les Moore?

Breathe easy, I corrected the mistake:)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 11:56 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

If you can wait a few weeks, you may wanna check out Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1. If I remember correctly, it is going to be released soon.

Also WebOS is a great software and so HPs touchpad too might be a good tablet to consider.

Thanks. Yes, I intend to look at Samsung as well before deciding which one to pick. I like Apple's user interface so much and need to see if the others are as good.

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu May 26, 2011 2:33 am

If you want immediate satisfaction, iPad2. If you are okay to wait a few more months, Android tablet. It will be at least till the end of the year before a worthwhile Android tablet will come out. Might be worth the wait though.

Here's the main reason why Android (as opposed to Apple) is even more important for me when considering tablets than phones: I still use smartphones as mainly a communication device and not an entertainment device. I would use the tablet more as an entertainment device. Therefore, I want more choices for sources of my entertainment content. I'm afraid Apple doesn't give me more choices, where as Android does.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:49 am

SomeProfile wrote:If you want immediate satisfaction, iPad2. If you are okay to wait a few more months, Android tablet. It will be at least till the end of the year before a worthwhile Android tablet will come out. Might be worth the wait though.

Here's the main reason why Android (as opposed to Apple) is even more important for me when considering tablets than phones: I still use smartphones as mainly a communication device and not an entertainment device. I would use the tablet more as an entertainment device. Therefore, I want more choices for sources of my entertainment content. I'm afraid Apple doesn't give me more choices, where as Android does.

Thanks. I don't think I want to wait several months. If I wait that long, I may end up convincing myself that I don't need one after all.

I will get what seems to be the current best option, an Android device or an Ipad, in the next month or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down