Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

man calls news anchor fat: see her response and opine

2 posters

Go down

man calls news anchor fat: see her response and opine Empty man calls news anchor fat: see her response and opine

Post by Bittu Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 pm

What do you think about her response?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

man calls news anchor fat: see her response and opine Empty Re: man calls news anchor fat: see her response and opine

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:37 pm

i think it was balanced enough.

Back to top Go down

man calls news anchor fat: see her response and opine Empty Re: man calls news anchor fat: see her response and opine

Post by Bittu Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 pm

I dunno. She says this guy's email was "bullying". How? This guy sent her email in PVT, didn't use any profanity or name calling. Instead, SHE turned it around and discussed it in a public forum. The real bullying is by her, to intimidate people who offer a critical,
yet measured opinion in private only to have it broadcast very
publicly.

At one point she calls out to young people who are "of color, of different sexual orientation or overweight" to fight bullies.

Bhenchod, you can't do shyt about color of your skin or sexual orientation but there's a LOT you can do about your weight.

Typical fattie with a bad attitude. This is what really gets me. Not only are you fat but you ALSO got a really stinky attitude.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:33 pm

bullying happens on 1-to-1 basis too. she herself had laughed it off. it's her husband who posted it somewhere else. prompted by the responses, she's speaking about it.

her points that i liked was - i know i am overweight, u don't even watch my show regularly, so u know nothing about me. u r not my friend either. so what was the point of the email really.

besides, she is using this email to launch a bigger message. too bad this email was picked, but this kinda bullying does happen by insensitive other kids in school.

yes agreed they need to lose weight, but why should they be made fun of or looked down upon until they do? why does anyone feels it's their right to insult them just coz of body weight? unless you are a concerned friend or family, why do u need to say anything to them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:bullying happens on 1-to-1 basis too. she herself had laughed it off. it's her husband who posted it somewhere else. prompted by the responses, she's speaking about it.
That's what she's saying. "Oh I laughed it off but the responses to my HUSBAND's postings made me want to.." what?

Natalia Romanova wrote:her points that i liked was - i know i am overweight, u don't even watch my show regularly, so u know nothing about me. u r not my friend either. so what was the point of the email really.

ok so why's she RESPONDING to some unknown who doesn't even watch her show, knows nothing about her, not her friend....?

Natalia Romanova wrote:besides, she is using this email to launch a bigger message.

I don't see any good message when she clubs her fattiness with people of color and sexual orientation. Do you?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 pm

as someone who has been publicly ridiculed for her weight, I totally understand what she's trying to say. That while such scalding remarks really doesn't make much difference as an adult (it just annoys you that people didn't see you beyond your body type), kids have slightly delicate minds. and if as adults, you make such comments, your kids will say the same to other kids too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 pm

looks like u missed my edit: yes agreed they need to lose weight, but why should they be made fun of or looked down upon until they do? why does anyone feels it's their right to insult them just coz of body weight? unless you are a concerned friend or family, why do u need to say anything to them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:as someone who has been publicly ridiculed for her weight, I totally understand what she's trying to say. That while such scalding remarks really doesn't make much difference as an adult (it just annoys you that people didn't see you beyond your body type),

You have correctly identified the problem. By the way, what was so "scalding" about this guy's remarks?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:looks like u missed my edit: yes agreed they need to lose weight, but why should they be made fun of or looked down upon until they do? why does anyone feels it's their right to insult them just coz of body weight? unless you are a concerned friend or family, why do u need to say anything to them?

READ what you wrote..."..they be made fun of of looked down upon...right to insult them coz of their bidy weight unless FAMILY member"

well. she's a public figure and AS YOU KNOW - or not - public members come under scrutiny and criticism all the time - NATURALLY.

Here's what this bloke wrote in a PVT email to her:
"It's unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn't improved for many years. Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this particular community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you'll consider your responsibility as a local public personality to represent and promote a healthy lifestyle."

How's this guy making fun or frowning or looking down upon the anchor?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Well, how is she a bad example for young girls assuming she's a successful news reporter. Isn't self esteem a major concern among teenagers? Also, look at the other end of the spectrum. I personally know at least 2 seriously anorexic girls among my daughter's friends. And many others who try too hard in not-so-healthy ways. Trust me, that's a scarier issue that's a result of such a public scorn.

Also, how did he know she wasn't trying to lose weight before urging her to show public responsibility. Also, why did he stop with just her, why not shoot an email to all tv stations to ban hiring overweight people? For public service. Keep them out of public eye, and send a positive message to people that you need to be a certain number before you can start dreaming anything. And then deal with major sicknesses that follow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:Well, how is she a bad example for young girls assuming she's a successful news reporter.

How many fat "successful" news reporters can you identify? How many OBESE news reporters can you identify? None. ok thanks.

Natalia Romanova wrote:Also, how did he know she wasn't trying to lose weight before urging her to show public responsibility. Also, why did he stop with just her, why not shoot an email to all tv stations to ban hiring overweight people? For public service. Keep them out of public eye, and send a positive message to people that you need to be a certain number before you can start dreaming anything. And then deal with major sicknesses that follow.

Irrelevant @ how did he know she wasn't trying to lose weight. She was fat for a long time.

Can you please elaborate on "that you need to be a certain number before you can start dreaming anything. And then deal with major sicknesses that follow" ?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Bittu wrote:

Can you please elaborate on "that you need to be a certain number before you can start dreaming anything. And then deal with major sicknesses that follow" ?

was talking about unhealthy steps young girls take to lose weight, if a message like this was given to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:12 am

I agree with Nats here. That fellow had no business writing that mail. Feedback on a person's weight or health issues is the prerogative only of close relatives and friends; strangers have no standing whatsoever to make such comments.

At the same time, she should have simply ignored that mail instead of getting on to the high horse and dragging in unconnected issues.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:25 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I agree with Nats here. That fellow had no business writing that mail. Feedback on a person's weight or health issues is the prerogative only of close relatives and friends; strangers have no standing whatsoever to make such comments.

All those "hundreds of supportive" emails she got were also from strangers but she loved those.

Strangers cannot write to me because I'm not a public figure and neither is my email address published anywhere. Not the case with this anchorwoman. Who knows, maybe the guy has issues of his own. The point of discussion is how this lady responded to it. Very poorly, IMO.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down