Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IIT-JEE: AP students shine again!

+8
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
Kris
nevada
confuzzled dude
The Absolute Zero
indophile
charvaka
12 posters

Go down

IIT-JEE: AP students shine again! Empty IIT-JEE: AP students shine again!

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Like last yr, seven of the top 10 are from AP (also, four of the top 5). 40 of the top 100 from the open catagory are from AP. The topper is Prithvi Tej from hyd.

Last yr, more than 2200 students from AP made it to iit. Those #s haven't come out yet for this yr.

24 of the super 30 from Bihar made it. Last yr it was 30/30. But 24 is still impressive.

Back to top Go down

IIT-JEE: AP students shine again! Empty Re: IIT-JEE: AP students shine again!

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm

did you see this the AP village kid cracked IIT

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 pm

kinnera wrote:Like last yr, seven of the top 10 are from AP (also, four of the top 5). 40 of the top 100 from the open catagory are from AP. The topper is Prithvi Tej from hyd.

Last yr, more than 2200 students from AP made it to iit. Those #s haven't come out yet for this yr.

24 of the super 30 from Bihar made it. Last yr it was 30/30. But 24 is still impressive.
Wow. 4 out of the top 5 -- that's gotta be a first, even for AP.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 pm

seven wrote:did you see this the AP village kid cracked IIT

That was posted on CH when it happened. A year (or two years) ago.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 1:32 pm

oops Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 1:33 pm

so any updates? did he make it to the IIT ? which semester now? howz he doing? who is sponsoring his studies ?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 25, 2011 2:27 pm

kinnera wrote:Like last yr, seven of the top 10 are from AP (also, four of the top 5). 40 of the top 100 from the open catagory are from AP. The topper is Prithvi Tej from hyd.

It seems they have excellent training/tutorial schools in AP and the academic/social environment too pushes them to excel in terms of getting into IIT, IIM, IISc, AIIMS, AFMC, etc. A relative of mine who lives in Bangalore was telling me that one of those schools, Chitanya Group, is starting 2 branches in Bangalore very soon (this June/July). He got his 2 kids in (one a 6th grade girl and another an 8th grade boy). They take kids as young as 5th graders. Already, they are colsed (for applications) for this year, and they have kids on waiting list for next year! It seems they train people for UPSC Civils too (IAS,IPS, etc.)
It appears another school group from Hyd called Narayana Group is also opening up in Bangalore next year, and they too have applicants lined up for that.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed May 25, 2011 4:01 pm

And did you talk about how many wonder childhood days these institutions are killing mercilessly? Along with these guilty parents?

The IIT schooling has become a joke. Start from 5th grade? Senseless I think.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 25, 2011 4:11 pm

What I was told (by my relative) is that these Chaitanya schools that are opening in Bangalore are like other regular schools - with the state prescribed curriculum, etc. (they are not like typical tutorial schools). They supplement the state curriculum as they see the need for exams at the all India level. Their biggest plus is - they take only limited number of students, and pay special attention to each individual student.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 5:50 pm

It's everything, I guess-good coaching, the environment where ever other kid is so motivated, parents' dedication, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed May 25, 2011 9:05 pm

Amazing! how you'd post this data every year so religiously Very Happy

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 10:19 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Amazing! how you'd post this data every year so religiously Very Happy

Yeah. It happened on my India trip a few yrs ago. I was pretty impressed by the way kids were motivated to get into IIT/other top engineering colleges. The mood was electrifying! I've never seen anything like that in my life. And then the results say it all and are getting better each yr. It's interesting to keep track of the results. The first yr it was 1300+, the second yr 1600+, then 2000+ and 2200+. Since last yr, the top ranks are also bagged by AP students.

With all due respects to our neighbors, just compare it with their results

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/227-Tamil-Nadu-students-pass-IIT-JEE-exams/articleshow/8571690.cms

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed May 25, 2011 11:07 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:And did you talk about how many wonder childhood days these institutions are killing mercilessly? Along with these guilty parents?

Well said. Recently I was talking to my cousin who lives in India. He told me that having nothing but IIT as their goal in their lives from such an early age, these kids suffer a stunted growth and struggle big time once they get into IIT. They have no worldly knowledge, are more comfortable being followers rather than leaders, and having minimal to no experience of dating, they succumb to homosexualism as they are easily swayed by stronger authority figures.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed May 25, 2011 11:13 pm

The "homosexualism" bit is a stretch, don't you think? Smile
Strangely enough, most of the IIT types I have known are pretty well-adjusted; however, I can't tell you if that is a statistically valid sample.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 pm

nevada wrote:Well said. Recently I was talking to my cousin who lives in India. He told me that having nothing but IIT as their goal in their lives from such an early age, these kids suffer a stunted growth and struggle big time once they get into IIT. They have no worldly knowledge, are more comfortable being followers rather than leaders, and having minimal to no experience of dating, they succumb to homosexualism as they are easily swayed by stronger authority figures.

what baloney! seems like some desperate justification by losers who don't want to put in the hard work that it takes. none of my close IIT friends had any special skills with girls growing up, but nearly all found their own wives either in india or after coming to the US. and hard work and single mindendness about something never hurt anyone. no worldly knowledge? does starting high-tech silicon valley companies, shepherding them through multiple rounds of venture financing and eventually taking them public, completely changing fields to economics from engineering and working amidst nobel economists, making it as successful faculty members and leaders in their fields, and becoming CEO of CNBC india count as worldly experience?

no seriously, how do you guys come up with this stuff? i normally find it tiring to respond to such posts, but once in a while feel the need to when see outlandish stuff.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 25, 2011 11:45 pm

So are you implying that Gults are genius ? Yes.. Next only to Jharkhandis.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 12:41 am

nevada wrote:
The Absolute Zero wrote:And did you talk about how many wonder childhood days these institutions are killing mercilessly? Along with these guilty parents?

Well said. Recently I was talking to my cousin who lives in India. He told me that having nothing but IIT as their goal in their lives from such an early age, these kids suffer a stunted growth and struggle big time once they get into IIT. They have no worldly knowledge, are more comfortable being followers rather than leaders, and having minimal to no experience of dating, they succumb to homosexualism as they are easily swayed by stronger authority figures.

Your cousin has been feeding you utter nonsense.

What does "succumb to homosexualism" mean anyway?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 am

blabberwock wrote:
What does "succumb to homosexualism" mean anyway?

Disclaimer: Not that there is anything wrong with that...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu May 26, 2011 1:34 am

nevada wrote:they succumb to homosexualism as they are easily swayed by stronger authority figures.

lol! lol! lol!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 2:03 am

You know, Im beginning to think that this whole "robbing childhood" is part-BS. Ive seen many examples of children who were left to enjoy their childhood turn out to be rather mediocre in life. And those that were pushed to succeed academically are having a much happier adult life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 26, 2011 2:14 am

kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Amazing! how you'd post this data every year so religiously Very Happy

Yeah. It happened on my India trip a few yrs ago. I was pretty impressed by the way kids were motivated to get into IIT/other top engineering colleges. The mood was electrifying! I've never seen anything like that in my life. And then the results say it all and are getting better each yr. It's interesting to keep track of the results. The first yr it was 1300+, the second yr 1600+, then 2000+ and 2200+. Since last yr, the top ranks are also bagged by AP students.

With all due respects to our neighbors, just compare it with their results

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/227-Tamil-Nadu-students-pass-IIT-JEE-exams/articleshow/8571690.cms

Something does not seem right. Per Saamiyaar theory something HAS to give in. There are only 24 hours in a day and all kids go through the same curriculum and these coaching stuff is essentially done during the evening 3 hrs... In essence, these kids will have to give up on sports, "wasting" their time, watch TV, etc.. etc... There are only 13,000 seats. What happens to the kids that don't make it? What happens to the 200,000 students who dont make it (assuming the other 200K students did nto prepare this seriously). It i snot like these kids are tested for giftedness at a young age. So it is just rote -training and drilling. Not at ll good.

THESE KIDS - especially the ones that did not make it - MUST BE LACKING IN SOME TRAITS.

So what gives ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 2:27 am

kinnera wrote:Like last yr, seven of the top 10 are from AP (also, four of the top 5)..

this is indeed remarkable. if i am not wrong -- from what i read in a blog by some IITian sinha -- there is a dramatic drop in score from the top ten to the next ten or from the top percentile to the next. in other words, of the 10 geniuses of this year, 7 are from AP (and were last year too)! being in the top 10 is not entirely a measure of your hard work -- you had something innately*extra* in you.

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu May 26, 2011 2:28 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:no seriously, how do you guys come up with this stuff? i normally find it tiring to respond to such posts, but once in a while feel the need to when see outlandish stuff.

LOL! Sulekhars are extremely ready to criticize certain categories of people that includes IIT-ians, MBAs, CEOs. But I am surprised that only a FEW people here get on the software techie-bashing bandwagon. Probably because many here are techies or work in technology.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu May 26, 2011 2:42 am

if i am not wrong -- from what i read in a blog by some IITian sinha -- there is a dramatic drop in score from the top ten to the next ten or from the top percentile to the next.

>>>> This is surprising. I have always thought there is more of a pyramid effect at play usually..with very minor increases in ability/intelligence as you go up the ladder. In other words, the competition is what eggs you on to get to the next level. In this scenario, the real outliers would be very rare.

in other words, of the 10 geniuses of this year, 7 are from AP (and were last year too)! being in the top 10 is not entirely a measure of your hard work -- you had something innately*extra* in you.

>>>> I would agree with this in the case of the rare outliers I alluded to above.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am

Kris wrote: if i am not wrong -- from what i read in a blog by some IITian sinha -- there is a dramatic drop in score from the top ten to the next ten or from the top percentile to the next.

>>>> This is surprising. I have always thought there is more of a pyramid effect at play usually..with very minor increases in ability/intelligence as you go up the ladder. In other words, the competition is what eggs you on to get to the next level. In this scenario, the real outliers would be very rare.

no. in fact there is a dramatic drop. since there are no pass marks and since the top n number of candidates are selected, it quite may be that the top ranker scored 10/10 while the lowest ranking successful scored 1/10. both have been successful. however this does not necessarily suggest the pattern that i have stated above. i will try and find the link.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 3:19 am

source: http://www.kamalsinha.com/iit/iit-jee.html

Kamal Sinha wrote:Spread in JEE scores

There is a common misconception among IITians that since they scored in the top 1-2% of the applicants, their scores must be quite close to each other. Reality is quite different. This discovery arose from my own experience.

When I took the JEE, mathematics section was on the first day. During that year, it had two separate sections - regular and modern mathematics. One could attempt only one section out of these two. I started out with the modern mathematics section, after an hour or so I decided to switch to the regular section because the problems there looked more solvable, and after half an hour or later I was back to the modern mathematics section and so on. Finally when I reached home I told my mom that it is over and I won't get into IIT because I messed up my JEE. She told me not to worry and take the physics and chemistry sections the next day for formality. Physics was my favorite subject and everything went smoothly. I didn't like chemistry much but did fairly okay in that.

Now I was here at IIT with a JEE rank of about 250, wondering how I got in. One day I went to the admissions office and asked about my score on JEE and was directed to a posting on the wall. There hung all the total scores. Karmarkar had scores 271 out of 300, followed by Gurjar at 270. To my surprise, if my memory serves me right, a score of about 150 was good enough for rank around 500. Clearly there is a vast difference between the scores of #1 ranked person and say #1000 ranked person.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu May 26, 2011 3:27 am

Wow- that much of a spread! On a separate note, to think I walked out of the test halfway thinking my performance had been sub-par in the previous section.. and pretty had the same conversation with my mother too, except she didn't offer any words of encouragement. Maybe she was worried about the authority figures at IIT ...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 3:35 am

i was totally zonked by the paper and i don't remember what i wrote. probably this:

IIT-JEE: AP students shine again! Hang10

i went through the motions. didn't tell anyone. didn't get in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 3:53 am

SomeProfile wrote:
LOL! Sulekhars are extremely ready to criticize certain categories of people that includes IIT-ians, MBAs, CEOs. But I am surprised that only a FEW people here get on the software techie-bashing bandwagon. Probably because many here are techies or work in technology.

few = uppili and -sandilya. then again, uppili criticizes everyone. doctors, dentists, nurses, plane drivers, code coolies, helicopter drivers, wall street looters, tendulkars, CEOs, healthcare providers, submarine drivers, IITians, plumbers, mechanics etc.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu May 26, 2011 4:11 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i was totally zonked by the paper and i don't remember what i wrote. probably this:

IIT-JEE: AP students shine again! Hang10

i went through the motions. didn't tell anyone. didn't get in.

>>> Hahaha-I will be reliving some of it this year thanks to my son's math homework

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 26, 2011 10:36 am

SomeProfile wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:no seriously, how do you guys come up with this stuff? i normally find it tiring to respond to such posts, but once in a while feel the need to when see outlandish stuff.

Please count me in the FEW group.....

Damn useless code-coolies...

The only group I have not criticized is the elementary school teachers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 26, 2011 11:32 am

How some toppers did it

Except for the #1 guy - he did not even prepare much and watched IPL the previous day - all others spent their time overwhelmingly on coaching classes.

Not at all good. This is reducing education to a single aspect - books, and success to one thing - cracking JEE (don't know if one can call it that with all the grace marks and the vast spread).

Besides, I was looking at the past JEE papers+solutions posted on the IIT website. It is now easier to resort to rote-reading and rote-coaching. As it happens in every aspect of Indian culture - one-sided development even here.

What happens to those who cannot afford coaching classes over a 5 yr period ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 11:53 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: all others spent their time overwhelmingly on coaching classes.
amazing! i had not noticed this. after reading the link i made yet another discovery. all 10 attended high school! this is a big secret they are hiding from us.
Not at all good. This is reducing education to a single aspect - books, and success to one thing - cracking JEE (don't know if one can call it that with all the grace marks and the vast spread).
you don't have to go to iit to get an education. you want to get a job? iit.
What happens to those who cannot afford school over a 12 yr period ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 26, 2011 12:13 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
What happens to those who cannot afford school over a 12 yr period ?

They have Govt. and Govt. aided schools...

And to your likely follow up comment "those who dont make it have other colleges" here is my question: Shouldn't the Govt. that spends crores of Rs on its Govt Institutes ensure that the selection process is something that the entire population can afford it?

Besides what is the point of the 12 yr schooling and the X and XII class exams - which rely on 12 years of knowledge accumulation, whereas the JEE is a narrow criterion. IITs should take into account the JEE scores but it should account for only a fraction. almost all schools, scholarships, and admission formulas in the US look at school performance marks + entrance tests as 50% of the selection points (max) with the other 50% coming from other factors. This forces the students to focus on other aspects ALSO other than schools and std tests. Doesn't it ensure a more wholesome selection pool ? According to this rule - even the JEE topper with a 100% school marks will get only 50% and will not get into any of the top 50 universities (theoretically).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 pm

[quote="Marathadi-Saamiyaar"]
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: Shouldn't the Govt. that spends crores of Rs on its Govt Institutes ensure that the selection process is something that the entire population can afford it?

the govt. is certainly not sending out personal invitations to "middle class" parents to make their kids study in the iits and nits. there are extremely brilliant (to borrow a phrase) pvt. colleges that the middle class can well afford. how is it that these iit guys go on to attend iims that are among the costliest? but let me not wag the dog by it's tail. shortly the govt. shall ease it's FDI curb in the education sector too. after that, you can stop blaming the govt. and start blaming the hegemonic powers.

Besides what is the point of the 12 yr schooling and the X and XII class exams - which rely on 12 years of knowledge accumulation, whereas the JEE is a narrow criterion. IITs should take into account the JEE scores but it should account for only a fraction. almost all schools, scholarships, and admission formulas in the US look at school performance marks + entrance tests as 50% of the selection points (max) with the other 50% coming from other factors. This forces the students to focus on other aspects ALSO other than schools and std tests. Doesn't it ensure a more wholesome selection pool ? According to this rule - even the JEE topper with a 100% school marks will get only 50% and will not get into any of the top 50 universities (theoretically).

this is a very complex debate. along the lines of ETS vs (old) JEE. read the article i refer to above by kamal sinha. in his experience, there is a startling corelation between IIT-JEE rank and IIT grades in the 4 year stint. the extremely brilliant
(to borrow a phrase) continue to perform extremely brilliantly. let me add my experience -- the top scorers also perform, or had also performed, extremely brilliantly in their high school results. it is not an isolated case of excellence (at least among the top percentile) that coaching classes can cultivate.

yes there is the super 30 group. maybe those kids (precisely 'cos they weren't middle class) might not have done so well in high school. but they aren't the topmost percentile group that you are talking about (or is under discussion).

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Thu May 26, 2011 2:11 pm

Kamal Sinha syas:

"If the goal is to find a Ramanujan or even a dozen Ramanujans, perhaps a test like JEE is best for that.."

====> Wrong.

Ramanujun was interested only in Mathematics. He did not give a damn about Physics and Chemistry.

You can't get throuh JEE by getting 100 in Math and zeros in Physics and Chemistry.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu May 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:How some toppers did it

Except for the #1 guy - he did not even prepare much and watched IPL the previous day - all others spent their time overwhelmingly on coaching classes.

Besides, I was looking at the past JEE papers+solutions posted on the IIT website. It is now easier to resort to rote-reading and rote-coaching. As it happens in every aspect of Indian culture - one-sided development even here.

Exactly. Most of the kids from AP are programmed JEE trained bots. Of course they have stunted personality development, suffer from depression and a feeling of purposeless emptiness once they get in to IIT.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Another Brick wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

few = uppili and -sandilya. then again, uppili criticizes everyone. doctors, dentists, nurses, plane drivers, code coolies, helicopter drivers, wall street looters, tendulkars, CEOs, healthcare providers, submarine drivers, IITians, plumbers, mechanics etc.

true. uppili is not very critical of retarded H4 housewives *cough* *cough* sasthi *cough* *cough* coz he thinks he has a chance with them. rest are fair game.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 am

I am afraid you are not correct. I don't think Uppili ever attacked individuals (Except the CEO of the California Waste manure company). I remember him attacking the idle H4 wives showing off their status based on the hubby's $50/hr consultant job and Accords. Sasthi was on H4 during the last century and has been a Star-Spangled Bannerer for the last several years making big money.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 5:04 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Shouldn't the Govt. that spends crores of Rs on its Govt Institutes ensure that the selection process is something that the entire population can afford it?

the govt. is certainly not sending out personal invitations to "middle class" parents to make their kids study in the iits and nits. there are extremely brilliant (to borrow a phrase) pvt. colleges that the middle class can well afford. how is it that these iit guys go on to attend iims that are among the costliest? but let me not wag the dog by it's tail. shortly the govt. shall ease it's FDI curb in the education sector too. after that, you can stop blaming the govt. and start blaming the hegemonic powers.

to come back to your question, even if the govt. offered free or subsidized coaching over a five year period to all IIT aspirants, how would this solve the problem? the number of seats is limited. demand outstrips supply. it wouldn't make any real difference. i suppose the only difference it'd make is that the poor would feel satisfied, as in "i did not make but it wasn't 'cos of lack of money." that is a noble thing achieved, i agree, and coaching institutes like the super 30 are trying to bridge exactly this inequity. but this is hardly the most effective way of tackling the problem. in the current scenario, iits are not for everyone just as the ivy leagues are not for everyone. laying overwhelming emphasis on trying to give everyone access to the iits is wrong -- it is like giving everyone a free ticket to the moon for very few will be able to pass the fitness test to undertake the journey. on the contrary, effort should be redirected to creating more colleges, more fnancial aid and more educational loans. i read sometime back that 4/5 times more money is spent by indians on their kids studying abroad than that is spent by the govt. on the iits and other govt. colleges! imagine the colossal drain of foreign exchange! FDI limit in education should be relaxed. these kids going abroad should be retained here. these new world class schools should ease the pressure on iits. the end result will be that there will many more options before the poor and not just one: how to finance the 5 year coaching for IIT-JEE.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down