Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nicknames

+8
doofus_maximus
SomeProfile
Another Brick
Rekz
Merlot Daruwala
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
charvaka
CroMagnon
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nicknames Empty Nicknames

Post by CroMagnon Wed May 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Tinku Singh Fobini
Benign Behna
Unknown Babu
Priyamvadai Murgdosai

How do you guys get to be so creative?

PS: What is your favorite nickname assigned to a CHer?
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Nicknames Empty Re: Nicknames

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 3:15 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
How do you guys get to be so creative?
We drink Complan and Bournvita on alternate days.

PS: My favorite nickname is BanwariLOL.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 pm

BanwariLOL is also very clever.

I'm rushing to desi store to buy expired Complan and Bournvita.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Have you guys ever used these nicknames outside Sulekha, accidentally or purposefully?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Tiana wrote:Have you guys ever used these nicknames outside Sulekha, accidentally or purposefully?

I give nicknames to bosses and everyone - all the time. Except, I keep calling them different nicknames every week based on the experience during the week.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 12:54 am

CroMagnon wrote:How do you guys get to be so creative?

The creativity has mostly been from FlimFlam and Vinodini. Both have an amazing aptitude for zeroing in on totally absurd names that fit the victim like a glove. Between the two, I like the latter's choices for the sheer hilarity and play on words (UnknownBabu, BanwariLOL, Shekar Bistarkar etc!!)
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 am

[quote="CroMagnon"]BanwariLOL is also very clever.

and cunning too Twisted Evil
He has posted "TS official fan club thread" on sulekha CH...just when TS stepped in this morning
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 1:45 am

resold cycle is my favourite. hahaha.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu May 26, 2011 1:48 am

Tiana wrote:Have you guys ever used these nicknames outside Sulekha, accidentally or purposefully?

Not the names. But other aspects of Sulekha flowed into my outside life with disastrous consequences: http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/bye-bye-sulekha-1113194.htm

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu May 26, 2011 2:01 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:How do you guys get to be so creative?

The creativity has mostly been from FlimFlam and Vinodini. Both have an amazing aptitude for zeroing in on totally absurd names that fit the victim like a glove. Between the two, I like the latter's choices for the sheer hilarity and play on words (UnknownBabu, BanwariLOL, Shekar Bistarkar etc!!)

Don't know about Gupte's creativity with names but he is amazing with comedy. And so is HK. They could easily be comedy writers for talk shows. But yeah, FF is quite creative with names. Some of the names that made me laugh out loud the first time I heard them are rather juvenile: Toothseeker, Maxipad, Propagaandu, Poopilli, Trashy Whitney, the numerous distortions of QB like Queen Bitch, Queer Bee, etc.

I am also fascinated by how certain words get coined by Internet communities. While I take credit for coining the words Sulekhini and Sulekhar, I feel somewhat sad that we can no longer use them now that we have left Sulekha. I also laughed out loud at the very North Indian 'whorni'. Our esteemed NIs felt the need to feminize that word as per Hindi grammar because they thought that the word 'whore' is masculine?

One area that most Internet communities are famous for but Sulekha is lacking is the creation of memes.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am

SomeProfile wrote: ...Our esteemed NIs felt the need to feminize that word as per Hindi grammar because they thought that the word 'whore' is masculine?

One area that most Internet communities are famous for but Sulekha is lacking is the creation of memes.

LOL @ whorni.

Re memes, it's always hard to trace the beginnings of a meme but I'm happy to note the increased currency that the word "chaddi" (to refer to a member of the sangh parivaar) has gained on the web over the last 5-6 years. When I first began using this word on CH in 2004-5 -- after abbreviating a very local slang in Bangalore, "khaki chaddi" referring to the khaki knickers the RSS folks wear -- most people had no clue what it meant or why spl because in Hindi it means underwear. I still remember Seva Unkil's hilarious threads asking why I was referring to chaddis as chaddis etc. But today, it has become a more or less standard term to describe them, spl after the pink chaddi campaign.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 3:29 am

CroMagnon wrote:BanwariLOL is also very clever.

I'm rushing to desi store to buy expired Complan and Bournvita.

after reading that 7 of the 10 top rankers in IIT-JEE have been from AP for the last two years, i'd recommend you try expired gongura pachadi instead. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 4:27 am

whineka

kokkeelaben

shekhar bistarkar
sudhakar sourdoughkar

resold cycle

banwarilol

agent daruwala, mrs merlot menon

max!pad, maxentropy_chaman, II professor

sandeep seetharamayya, rahul ramaNamurthy, penius seetharamayya

carvakka, the akka

rashmi srivastav khare, trashy whitney, tracey trivedi

parimala, priyamvadai murgdosai, impy, impi di mata

turdseeker, toothseeker, hoochseeker, liquorseeker, truceseeker,
sister-in-bistar-seeker, ch*tseeker, vermouthseeker, alcoch0der, umweed, omtatsatinder

tejass

philip kuruvilla, daughter-ko-lekar-bath-taker, thomas kuriakose, luke wartmus, rev iyer

benign behna

unknownbabu

vinodini
another benius

big ben

mofo

hot air mo

tinku singh fobini

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:29 am

Why is MD "Mrs Merlot Menon"? What's the story behind that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:30 am

SomeProfile wrote:Our esteemed NIs felt the need to feminize that word as per Hindi grammar because they thought that the word 'whore' is masculine?

LOL! good observation. simply superbu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 am

blabberwock wrote:Why is MD "Mrs Merlot Menon"? What's the story behind that?

No story at all. Luke Unkil, for reasons unbeknownst to humanity, concluded from some early posts of mine that I was (a) female and (b) of Malayali extraction. This has as much validity as his conclusions about Northindian physiognomy, Telugu ingratiativeness or the authenticity of Taj Chaat House.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 5:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
No story at all. Luke Unkil, for reasons unbeknownst to humanity, concluded from some early posts of mine that I was (a) female and (b) of Malayali extraction. This has as much validity as his conclusions about Northindian physiognomy, Telugu ingratiativeness or the authenticity of Taj Chaat House.

and later when he knew that you were neither, he said he "preferred" mrs merlot menon.

some more -

cro maggot
propadandi
tiger thathachari
guruva-garu

baffling as it may sound, seva, uppili, -sandilya do not have (m)any nicknames. muchocricket, nevada, kris, BW, PI also don't have any as far as i know.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 5:12 am

Who's Tiger? Jataayu??

As for BW, there's Wacker Blob (courtesy: Luke Unkil).
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 5:14 am

In the dying days of Sulekha, some more came up:
- Poopili
- Lotion Breeze
- Motion Breeze

(last two, I suspect was HK)

Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:18 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Who's Tiger? Jataayu??

As for BW, there's Wacker Blob (courtesy: Luke Unkil).

Haha, yeah, Wacker Blob who force-feeds her children the flesh of dead animals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 5:19 am

Quite a few nicknames were coined by QueerBee for her foes: Poopili, Good Shittizen, Poopagandhi, Cro Maggot, Crowaka, Trashy etc.

Last edited by Merlot Daruwala on Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additions)
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:30 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

A whole bunch of people thought you were female. One guy warned me to back off coz you were his!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:33 am

nutmeg wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

A whole bunch of people thought you were female. One guy warned me to back off coz you were his!

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. MD, what exactly were you posting on back then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 am

tiger thathachari is impedimenta's nickname for luke unkil.

i also mistook MD for a female poster first. he made a lot of sense (back then (ie when i came to sulekha), only females made sense on CH. men would fight and talk about celebs.). he did not get into any fights (initially), did not talk sports and his first name is "merlot" which i thought was a female name.

Last edited by Another Brick on Thu May 26, 2011 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:46 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Quite a few nicknames were coined by QueerBee for her foes: Poopili, Good Shittizen, Poopagandhi, Cro Maggot, Crowaka, Trashy etc.

hahaha, QB did a darn good job. cro maggot is my favourite.

a few more:

kamalika nanga (for pravalika nanda, courstey luke warmus)
bittusingh FOB
vinod kumar (for broudzouthindian, courtsey luke warmus)
propellakar
satiya gya prabhakar (courtsey, resold cycle)
satyanarayan (coursey seven)

p.s. lotion breeze was me. motion breeze was someone else. Razz

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Thu May 26, 2011 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 5:56 am

nutmeg wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Haha...I remember that. The "one guy" was none other than Vinodini in his lungi avatar. Actually it was only Luke Unkil and Lungi mein Bhangi who thought I was female.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 6:02 am

lol @ satiya gaya prabhakar.

one more - dev c chatterji.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 6:06 am

blabberwock wrote:
This is getting curiouser and curiouser. MD, what exactly were you posting on back then?

I'm curious too. I don't remember my early posts and frankly, I'm stumped by AB's observation that I didn't get into fights. Actually, I started visiting Sulekha CH only for the brawls.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 6:07 am

Another Brick wrote:tiger thathachari is impedimenta's nickname for luke unkil.

i also mistook MD for a female poster first. he made a lot of sense (back then (ie when i came to sulekha), only females made sense on CH. men would fight and talk about celebs.). he did not get into any fights (initially), did not talk sports and his first name is "merlot" which i thought was a female name.

LOL. I didn't know this Tiger bit. Quite apt.

On a different note, were you Bhiku Mhatre as well? I remember you using that Bhiku-bola-na signature line...
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 6:55 am

yes, i was bhiku mhatre once. i started off as black label. no, i first registered with my real name, made a post, saw the scenes on CH, and immediately decided to adopt a fake one.

bhiku bola na was lame. pretty lame line that. ashamed. uff.

btw, what or who is tiger thathachari? i googled, but no help. is that a movie character?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 7:06 am

Rashmunni (courtesy vg).
CHaunty and CHuncle.

I have used Dhobi and tenducker in real life. Not sure if they were coined by ch'rs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 7:47 am

Another Brick wrote:btw, what or who is tiger thathachari? i googled, but no help. is that a movie character?

I've heard the term used on irascible old men who terrorise the people around them. Turns out there was actually a 1974 movie by that name. The real Tiger Unkil will probably frown on this spelling though.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Rashmunni (courtesy vg).
CHaunty and CHuncle.

I have used Dhobi and tenducker in real life. Not sure if they were coined by ch'rs.

i hate the word tenducker and I am not even a big tendulkar fan..think uppili coined it..
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 8:07 am

tenduckkar is by uppili. dhoni made it easy for every indian to coin the word "dhobi" by his strokeplay. it is not impossible that at least a million indians thought of that word when they saw him bat first.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 8:09 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
I've heard the term used on irascible old men who terrorise the people around them.

ripe name.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 am

Another Brick wrote:whineka

kokkeelaben

shekhar bistarkar
sudhakar sourdoughkar

resold cycle

banwarilol

agent daruwala, mrs merlot menon

max!pad, maxentropy_chaman, II professor

sandeep seetharamayya, rahul ramaNamurthy, penius seetharamayya

carvakka, the akka

rashmi srivastav khare, trashy whitney, tracey trivedi

parimala, priyamvadai murgdosai, impy, impi di mata

turdseeker, toothseeker, hoochseeker, liquorseeker, truceseeker,
sister-in-bistar-seeker, ch*tseeker, vermouthseeker, alcoch0der, umweed, omtatsatinder

tejass

philip kuruvilla, daughter-ko-lekar-bath-taker, thomas kuriakose, luke wartmus, rev iyer

benign behna

unknownbabu

vinodini
another benius

big ben

mofo

hot air mo

tinku singh fobini

LOLu. vinodini, you should put names of the name coiner next to these. wait, who is another benius? ha ha ha...unknown babu is priceless..

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 am

wait, who is another benius?

that's what philip kuruvilla called me when i changed my handle. i don't really know what he meant by that. in return, i wanted to call him Forest Officer* but then CH broke.

* the Forest Officer of a not insignificant forest. he always thought he was showing sulekhars the forest. but ungrateful sulekhars complained that all they saw was trees.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 9:19 am

If you had, Luke Unkil would have, in turn, lectured you on how the correct idiomatic usage (as sanctioned by HH the Queen of England) is woods and not forests and therefore, his proper title should be Woods Officer (WO).

Of course, you would have responded saying Thanks WOman or some such thing. Priyamvadai could have piped in with some dig abt Tiger (Thathachari) Woods. Leading to some all round hilarity.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 9:25 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:If you had, Luke Unkil would have, in turn, lectured you on how the correct idiomatic usage (as sanctioned by HH the Queen of England) is woods and not forests and therefore, his proper title should be Woods Officer (WO).

Of course, you would have responded saying Thanks WOman or some such thing. Priyamvadai could have piped in with some dig abt Tiger (Thathachari) Woods. Leading to some all round hilarity.

hahahaha. propagandhi711 would have made fun of him calling him wladek's wood's officer.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu May 26, 2011 12:08 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Haha...I remember that. The "one guy" was none other than Vinodini in his lungi avatar. Actually it was only Luke Unkil and Lungi mein Bhangi who thought I was female.
Lukeji had this belief that insinuating that a male poster is a woman is a devastating insult to that poster. That's why he came up with The Akka and Mrs. Menon. I love the nickname The Akka.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Haha..Yeah, I miss the man.

Luke Unkil, if you are lurking, why don't you unlurk and start posting instead? Your bigotry, stereotyping, name-calling, paranoia and English correction services which have been a source of much entertainment for so many years are badly missed on the new forum. All is forgiven, please come back.

- MD, MBA (Member of BASH and AoA)
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Also
The Man from A.K.K.A(Association of KK Annoyers? )
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 12:21 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Also
The Man from A.K.K.A(Association of KK Annoyers? )

ROFL..good one.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Talking of the man, did someone mention phlegmy yet? And puke something?

From what I remember whorni was coined to complete the 'Tracy Whitney = trashy whorni' name calling. Part credits go to bnp (trashy) and qb (whorni). No it's not funny, but thought this should be mentioned in ch archives. Don't think the nis did it to make it sound feminine.

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu May 26, 2011 5:46 pm

I read this thread twice. Both times I ROFLed. I'm still smiling laughing while typing this message.

whineka
tinku singh fobini
BanwariLOL
mrs. merlot menon
kokkeelaben
sourdoughkar
carvakka
priyamvadai murgdosai
trashy whorni (horny!)
omtatsatinder
umweed
sister-ko-bistar-mein-seeker
benign behna
unknown babu
hot-airmo
mofo
propadandi
tiger thathachari
ch*tseeker
poopili
lotion breeze
satiya gaya prabhakar
dev c chatterji
priyamvadai murgdosai
resold cycle
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu May 26, 2011 5:52 pm

sar bhoj paparajan

ROFL
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu May 26, 2011 6:17 pm

linksangel (I think TW came up with it)
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 7:03 pm

CroMagnon wrote:linksangel (I think TW came up with it)

Yeah. I come up with or propogate the GOOD nicks. Caru, upps, impy, and so on. I think I was somewhat involved in coining propadandi along with a couple others.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu May 26, 2011 8:41 pm

did you all forget hoochseeker..hilarious.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 pm

i have one for AB another chick Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next