Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man arrested for tweet on Chidambaram's son

+3
Merlot Daruwala
Kayalvizhi
FluteHolder
7 posters

Go down

Man arrested for tweet on Chidambaram's son Empty Man arrested for tweet on Chidambaram's son

Post by FluteHolder Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:45 pm

http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/man-arrested-for-tweet-on-chidambaram-s-son-286405?pfrom=home-otherstories

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Man arrested for tweet on Chidambaram's son Empty Re: Man arrested for tweet on Chidambaram's son

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:10 am

ROFLMAOZEDONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!1!!

he knew defamation was criminal (it is not). he was an entrepreneur with access to privileged legal information. yet he did it knowing the consequences. he should have been booked under non-bailable offenses and denied bail.

kahaan se udta teer gand me ghus jayega is desh mein koi thikana nahin

Back to top Go down

Man arrested for tweet on Chidambaram's son Empty Re: Man arrested for tweet on Chidambaram's son

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:24 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ROFLMAOZEDONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!1!!

huzefa,

stop posting gibberish.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 am

This is nonsense. He has every right to say Chidamparam's son is corrupt. It is not criminal offense. Let Chthamparam Jr file libel suit

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:42 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:This is nonsense. He has every right to say Chidamparam's son is corrupt. It is not criminal offense. Let Chthamparam Jr file libel suit
you are the smartest! hiding in somewhere america. we know zilch about you. even your gender is amphibious. no one can touch you while you indulge in libel, slander, defamation. you are smarter than prabhakaran. that doofus got nailed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:49 am

lol @ amphibious

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:06 am

he knew defamation was criminal (it is not). he was an entrepreneur with access to privileged legal information. yet he did it knowing the consequences. he should have been booked under non-bailable offenses and denied bail.

Haha..now you've sparked off a new line of thought. I wonder why the champions of the MOST IMPORTANT right to free speech didn't venture to defend Rajat Gupta's rights in that area. Ultimately, the man was punished for speaking. And there was not one peep in this bastion of free speech against the egregious violation of his most important right. On the contrary, said champions were demanding a steeper punishment.

This just goes to show that the medium makes all the difference to defenders of free speech. If instead of making a private phone call, if Gupta had posted that privileged information on SUCH or FB or Twitter, far from being branded a criminal, he would have been hailed as setting a new benchmark in corporate governance, featuring unprecendented levels of corporate disclosure and board access to minority shareholders.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:19 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:This just goes to show that the medium makes all the difference to defenders of free speech. If instead of making a private phone call, if Gupta had posted that privileged information on SUCH or FB or Twitter, far from being branded a criminal, he would have been hailed as setting a new benchmark in corporate governance, featuring unprecendented levels of corporate disclosure and board access to minority shareholders.
lol! you know, rajaratnam's trading in GS in the few minutes before the market's closing were miniscule compared to the massive trading that went on in those few minutes. one of rajaratnam's aides is caught saying on the wiretap evidence, "it seems we are not the only ones with this tip..." rofl apparently every member of the board had walked out of the boardroom with his/her phone pressed to his/her ear. they were all posting to their such.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 am

Ok, old friend FH (in my book, once a friend, always a friend) "people" decided to venture into your thread..trying hard keeping away from US politics..don't want to jinx anything:)

Seriously..don't know anything about this story..but, many be familiar with the singer/entertainer Chinmayi..taking on men who apparently abused her on Twitter..and she filed complaints for cyber harassment- and there have been many arrests..which has erupted into a big controversy- raising issues about freedom of on line speech, gender, Srilanka-TN conflicts, caste..etc, etc.

A real life friend Dr. Rudhran..seems to have taken her on in his blogs and Fb..and come to the defense of these men..*I understand abuse should NOT be tolerated..but, looks like she endlessly engaged in conversations/on line fights..and we all know "on line fights" will never, never end, once you get into them esp.as a woman with unknown men (!), gloves are off.. it will continue to eternity..and I would rather do something better with people until eternity:D!

Anyways..it's an interesting case..

http://newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/article1310857.ece
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 am

FluteHolder wrote:http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/man-arrested-for-tweet-on-chidambaram-s-son-286405?pfrom=home-otherstories
This is crazy. The government seems to fundamentally not "get" the tools of the information age.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:09 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:This just goes to show that the medium makes all the difference to defenders of free speech. If instead of making a private phone call, if Gupta had posted that privileged information on SUCH or FB or Twitter, far from being branded a criminal, he would have been hailed as setting a new benchmark in corporate governance, featuring unprecendented levels of corporate disclosure and board access to minority shareholders.
lol! you know, rajaratnam's trading in GS in the few minutes before the market's closing were miniscule compared to the massive trading that went on in those few minutes. one of rajaratnam's aides is caught saying on the wiretap evidence, "it seems we are not the only ones with this tip..." rofl apparently every member of the board had walked out of the boardroom with his/her phone pressed to his/her ear. they were all posting to their such.

"apparently" covers a lot of ground.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:11 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Haha..now you've sparked off a new line of thought. I wonder why the champions of the MOST IMPORTANT right to free speech didn't venture to defend Rajat Gupta's rights in that area. Ultimately, the man was punished for speaking. And there was not one peep in this bastion of free speech against the egregious violation of his most important right. On the contrary, said champions were demanding a steeper punishment.

This just goes to show that the medium makes all the difference to defenders of free speech. If instead of making a private phone call, if Gupta had posted that privileged information on SUCH or FB or Twitter, far from being branded a criminal, he would have been hailed as setting a new benchmark in corporate governance, featuring unprecendented levels of corporate disclosure and board access to minority shareholders.

this is certainly a novel defense of insider trading - exercising free speech LOL..wonder if the intrepid lawyers of rajat gupta thought of that.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:34 am

Yes, if unlimited corporate monies being used to buy elections is legitimate free speech, I don't see why not. Somebody like Citizens United just needs to ask the Roberts Supreme Court, and they will happily throw out insider trading laws like they threw out campaign finance laws.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

scratch scratch can you explain what you mean in a bit of semantically congruent and florid prose?

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

scratch scratch can you explain what you mean in a bit of semantically congruent and florid prose?

apparently can mean: I pulled that stat out of my ass after digging in there for 15 mins to find something that would support my preconceived notions

or

I heard it from my recreational drug taking brother in law from his supplier who read it on the internets on urban legends.com

or

I woke up in the morning and this brainwave struck me...it felt so right that I decided to stick a "apparently".

you know, many things

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 am

are you saying,

a) other than rajat gupta, no other board member leaked information and that information was apparently leaked through other channels,

OR

b) something else.

edit. please understand that rajaratnam's trades were miniscule in comparison to the other (buy) trades that occurred in the GS stock during the closing moments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:we know zilch about you. even your gender is amphibious.
and her pet frog is ambiguous! bom

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:we know zilch about you. even your gender is amphibious.
and her pet frog is ambiguous! bom
ha ha! in retrospect it also substitutes for amorphous. but i liked the reptilian shade of "amphibious." i am the next joyce i'm telling ya.

edit. how do you know the amphibian has a thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:are you saying,

a) other than rajat gupta, no other board member leaked information and that information was apparently leaked through other channels,

OR

b) something else.

edit. please understand that rajaratnam's trades were miniscule in comparison to the other (buy) trades that occurred in the GS stock during the closing moments.

point is this rajaratnam guy was being investigated and rajat gupta got caught. rest of whether other board members passed on the same info to other friends or not is pure conjecture until they're caught. what does your second point prove again? others and/or rajat gupta may or maynot have passed the same info to other hedge funds . lots of posssibilities but ppl are prosecuted based on what can be proven.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:33 pm

i truly appreciate your explaining your point in non-sexually-explicit, non-florid, semantically-congruent prose. it remains that i agree with you but i do believe that you are nuts to imagine or to believe that a point does NOT come in an honest man's life when the boundaries of indisecretion do get blurred because of the fact that all his colleagues are indulging in activities that are, in good faith, not considered criminal (till proven otherwise later). it is fair to hang the one caught -- i agree. but it is insensitive to applaud the hanging.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i truly appreciate your explaining your point in non-sexually-explicit, non-florid, semantically-congruent prose. it remains that i agree with you but i do believe that you are nuts to imagine or to believe that a point does NOT come in an honest man's life when the boundaries of indisecretion do get blurred because of the fact that all his colleagues are indulging in activities that are, in good faith, not considered criminal (till proven otherwise later). it is fair to hang the one caught -- i agree. but it is insensitive to applaud the hanging.

EWWEERYONE breaks the law one time or the other but it's his misfortune to be caught. same way it was his good fortune (along with certain amount of brains and hardwork) that allowed his rise to the top. good with the bad, yin with the yang etc.

if you seriously believe that this guy's case was one of colleagues misbehaving while he was busy doing puja for global peace, you're either naive or prone to conspiracy theories borne of ethnic solidarity.

also, why is it insensitive to applaud the hanging? isnt that the point of hanging, for commoners to rejoice? am j/k abt this ofcourse, but these guys have in some way contributed to the environment where the strong and nimble preyed on the weaker individual investor so why shouldnt I rejoice?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:also, why is it insensitive to applaud the hanging?
because rakoff does not applaud it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down