Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the future of the GOP

+5
indophile
doofus_maximus
southindian
Maria S
MaxEntropy_Man
9 posters

Go down

the future of the GOP Empty the future of the GOP

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:36 am

it is in everyone's interest that the GOP remain a strong second party. a lot of us who supported the president in this cycle can see ourselves signing on to an agenda of more fiscal responsibility and smaller and less intrusive government, i.e. small c conservative; basically people like my neighbors up north in NH. nobody wants to give a single party the reigns of govt to screw around with. but the GOP is NOT going to make any headway in electoral politics until they reverse their atavistic social agenda which alienates women, minorities, and gays and lesbians. a bit of basic reality check about making arithmetic work in their policy proposals is also urgently called for. i'd like them to come back stronger after mending their ways in the next election cycle.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

the future of the GOP Empty Re: the future of the GOP

Post by Maria S Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:47 am

Is there any doubt about the GOP remaining strong? I have NONE..it is/will always be a D-R: 49-49 country.

From what I know..politics - spins in cycles (it's the "rule of nature")..can never count any major political party/politician out..I have seen them all come and go and come back again!

*If anything, when your party/candidate wins..you hope they remain humble, cooperative..and saavy and works with the opposition..and I have no doubt Pres. Obama personifies those qualities..and will do "much better" in that regard in his second term.

I will also bet..there will be no minority Pres again..for decades, ok, in my lifetime. "This one" is special and defied all odds over and over again.

May be a woman (next time..hoping with a H in her name..if she is healthy!)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 am

Maria S wrote:

May be a woman (next time..hoping with a H in her name..if she is healthy!)

Are you alluding to Heather? I know a woman called Heather aspiring to become US president.

Or is it Honia Gandhi, who is rich enough to purchase US citizenship.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 am

Unless GOP changes this mentality before the next election, they are done.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 am

GOP will do well in the future if they stay away from unyielding and extreme views on taxes, social/religious issues - abortion, evolution (it's no more a scientific issue), in your face talk radio (Rush Limbaugh), etc. In this election there was a guy who talked about "legitimate" rapes, and another guy who said that pregnancy resulting from rape is God's gift. And the guy at the head of their ticket said we should let Big Bird die. Thankfully all of them lost.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 am

southindian wrote:

Are you alluding to Heather? I know a woman called Heather aspiring to become US president.

Oh, you know..I am alluding to the lucky woman- who will have two lucky men-Presidents who owe her big time..hold her hands and do all they can to make her President.

"Alluding".."B-school"..ah..memories of a missing friend..alluding to someone who's name starts with a S too:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:55 am

GoP is done for the next 20 to 30 years. Just relying on the white male trucker, biker, and farmers' votes will make it more and more vulnerable. The Dems have formed a powerful combination of "Minorities" to form a solid majority powerhouse.

The GoP has to wait for its 21st century Abraham Lincoln.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:01 pm

A mere 2% vote swing would have swung the election. Romney might have secured some of that if not for his series of gaffes starting with "self-deportation". Who is to say that a GoP nominee with a hispanic mother or "rubio/Sanchez" running mate name cannot swing 2%.

With so much data available a candidate would start with a policy position that assures them 47-48% of the vote and tha battle will be just to swing those 2%.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:10 pm

indophile wrote:GOP will do well in the future if they stay away from unyielding and extreme views on taxes, social/religious issues - abortion, evolution (it's no more a scientific issue), in your face talk radio (Rush Limbaugh), etc. In this election there was a guy who talked about "legitimate" rapes, and another guy who said that pregnancy resulting from rape is God's gift. And the guy at the head of their ticket said we should let Big Bird die. Thankfully all of them lost.

My thoughts exactly!

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Silk Smitha wrote:
indophile wrote:GOP will do well in the future if they stay away from unyielding and extreme views on taxes, social/religious issues - abortion, evolution (it's no more a scientific issue), in your face talk radio (Rush Limbaugh), etc. In this election there was a guy who talked about "legitimate" rapes, and another guy who said that pregnancy resulting from rape is God's gift. And the guy at the head of their ticket said we should let Big Bird die. Thankfully all of them lost.

My thoughts exactly!

you lie! the only thoughts you had came from the onion and this piece was never published in there (yet)

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down