Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Romney lost?

+8
Kris
Propagandhi711
nevada
Sandee2020
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Impedimenta
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
12 posters

Go down

Why Romney lost? Empty Why Romney lost?

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:27 pm

By now hundreds of articles were published on this question. I would like to know what this online community thinks. Let us each add one reason for Romney's loss. Add a sentence or two to explain why.

1. Women.
55 percent voted against him for his own opinions on women's issues. His party's right wing helped defeat him with extreme comments.
??????

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Why Romney lost? Empty Re: Why Romney lost?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:38 pm

any republic candidate has to appeal to the southern goobers to win the primaries -- so they move far to the right. in the general election they have to move close to the center to appeal to the american population minus the goobers. not doable. that's a problem to begin with for any republic politician running for national office.

add to that romney's tendency to flip flop, lie, and speak insultingly of half the country's population and you have an excellent recipe for a loss.

the cherry on top of this beautiful cake is the republic party's echo chamber, i.e. tendency to believe their own mythology. it will be a long time for the republic party to extricate itself from bullshit mountain.

finally, unskewedpolls.com = LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:47 pm

max, please check your email.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:48 pm

The tendency to believe themselves. Excellent point.
Fox News on election night proved how deep in denial these guys live. That Kelly's walk is the strangest scene I have seen during a presidential election coverage.
An unrelated point on abc, Diane sawyer was also lost to drugs or drinks.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:17 pm

truthbetold wrote:By now hundreds of articles were published on this question. I would like to know what this online community thinks. Let us each add one reason for Romney's loss. Add a sentence or two to explain why.

1. Women.
55 percent voted against him for his own opinions on women's issues. His party's right wing helped defeat him with extreme comments.
??????

The only solid support Romney received was from the midwesterners and the large number of Cattle and pigs.

We found a document (min of mtg) from a meeting of the senior Execs - where one of the Senior Exec made a presentation and THIS statement "Based on the study, I found that only White Christian males care for the corporation and are influential in framing its policies.

Naturally, the "midwesterners" overwhelmingly agree with this inference. That means, the non-whites, non-christians, and non-males will naturally vote for teh other side - which explains the east and west coast blueness.

Also, it means the Republicans as we see today will be doomed to eternity.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Romney is a Mormon, with big ego, who only cares about his own financial welfare, another Bushy boy waste. Evil or Very Mad

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Sandee2020 wrote:Romney is a Mormon, with big ego, who only cares about his own financial welfare, another Bushy boy waste. Evil or Very Mad

Romney is a Republican Mormon.

All other republicans are just plain morons.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:00 pm

Another huge reason is Latino distrust of Romney and his suggestion of self deportation. How could republicans be so blind to such a huge change in US demographics? Their next hope Rubio is not likely to make more than 5 to 10 point difference in Latino vote. What an ostrich like behavior?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Uppili,
You are in form this weekend.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Because undecided voters like me bailed on him in the last moment.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
truthbetold wrote:By now hundreds of articles were published on this question. I would like to know what this online community thinks. Let us each add one reason for Romney's loss. Add a sentence or two to explain why.

1. Women.
??????

The only solid support Romney received was from the midwesterners and the large number of Cattle and pigs.

We found a document (min of mtg) from a meeting of the senior Execs - where one of the Senior Exec made a presentation and THIS statement "Based on the study, I found that only White Christian males care for the corporation and are influential in framing its policies.

Naturally, the "midwesterners" overwhelmingly agree with this inference. That means, the non-whites, non-christians, and non-males will naturally vote for teh other side - which explains the east and west coast blueness.

Saar, re: your comment on ONLY support Romney received was from Midwesterners, you forget that popular vote outside of electoral college was right down the middle for the under achiever and the Mormon. But don't take a break from your daily foolishness

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Prop,
Fl, nc, va, and oh were close as well as national total. However this is against a president with a poor economy and 8 percent unemployment. Romney should have won with comfortable majority like Obama of 2008.
The new demographics are not going to help them.
GOP may win one more in next two cycles but unless they change their anti immigration and anti women could put them in loser position.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:33 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

1. Women.
??????

Saar, re: your comment on ONLY support Romney received was from Midwesterners, you forget that popular vote outside of electoral college was right down the middle for the under achiever and the Mormon. But don't take a break from your daily foolishness

Close - as in many elections. At least did not have to win with the help of corrupt SC judges after getting less popular votes than his opponent.

So deal and learn to lose with the electoral college vote system. Only a diehard Republican moron of the highest variety - on par with the drug addict Limbaugh - will fail to see the demographic arithmetic.

Rubio is a cooban and Messicans loo at coobans as blacks look at whites, and the Coobans who make the political grade are of the Spanish KKK variety.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:30 am

1. Women.
??????

>>>Disparate interests within the Republican party. When you try to please various interest groups, you end up with a lot of flip flops, which affects your credibility. Considering this, I am surprised he came as far as he did. This of course could be viewed more as disenchantment with the current state of affairs than an outright support of the GOP or Romney. This scenario is not complimentary to either him or obama.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 am

Kris wrote:

1. Women.
??????

>>>Disparate interests within the Republican party. When you try to please various interest groups, you end up with a lot of flip flops, which affects your credibility. Considering this, I am surprised he came as far as he did. This of course could be viewed more as disenchantment with the current state of affairs than an outright support of the GOP or Romney. This scenario is not complimentary to either him or obama.

The republican primary is controlled by the Kochs, tea Partyers, and the Churchists. The candidates have to take extreme rightist positions, then the candidate have to take centrist position, which certainly leads to lies, misstatements, etc. Romney tried to play that - I think he was not such an extreme person like Perry, bachman or other morons - and failed miserably.

this is a major problem and how the republicans overcome this challenge will be interesting to watch - cannot happen so quickly.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:10 am

Kris wrote:

1. Women.
??????

The republican primary is controlled by the Kochs, tea Partyers, and the Churchists. The candidates have to take extreme rightist positions, then the candidate have to take centrist position, which certainly leads to lies, misstatements, etc. Romney tried to play that - I think he was not such an extreme person like Perry, bachman or other morons - and failed miserably.

this is a major problem and how the republicans overcome this challenge will be interesting to watch - cannot happen so quickly.

>>>Looks like this is going to be a long road. That's not to say the party won't be able to win the presidency despite this. Remember the status of the economy will be a big driver. For all the party's problems, Romney did make quite a bit of headway this time.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:47 am

If Republicans could change their snobbish attitude, not be petty minded, but cooperate and compromise with the democrats, instead of constant bickering, disputing, and disagreeing, the country would be better off. They are forgetting that the Whites no longer are the majority. Very Happy

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 am

Grover norquist in huff post claims that republicans reaffirmed the 2010 majorities and did better than 2008. More house seats and less majority for Obama.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 am

Kris wrote:

Remember the status of the economy will be a big driver.

it was a driver in this election, and a majority of the people concluded that obama's policies are better for the economy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 am

truthbetold wrote:Grover norquist in huff post claims that republicans reaffirmed the 2010 majorities and did better than 2008. More house seats and less majority for Obama.

grover norquist is one of the big reasons the republicans lost the presidency and made no headway in the senate in this election cycle. politicians who irresponsibly sign on to issues that affect one side of the balance sheet without any thought about the other side should and did get punished by the public. i wonder why norquist doesn't have a corresponding pledge about spending cuts. jon stewart had him on his show a while ago and asked him this precise question. he never answered it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:37 am

Sandee2020 wrote:If Republicans could change their snobbish attitude, not be petty minded, but cooperate and compromise with the democrats, instead of constant bickering, disputing, and disagreeing, the country would be better off. They are forgetting that the Whites no longer are the majority. Very Happy

how about presenting policy proposals with arithmetic that adds up?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:47 am

here is jon stewart asking norquist why there isn't a pledge to limit spending (watch after the 4:40 mark):

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-12-2012/exclusive---grover-norquist-extended-interview---pt--1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:04 am

TBT,

I did not read all your posts this election season..from the few I read, you were changing your predictions (were you not?) faster than Mr. Mitt was changing political positions:D!

Am so relieved the Election is over..for Obama supporters and volunteers like me..it was a tough fight..and experiences we can never forget..

And I would rather say why President Obama won- instead of why Mr. Romney lost:

*Barack was the far better/trustworthy candidate..not to mention "one of a kind" person..don't think we will ever see another candidate (Republican or Democrat) like him to bring so many people/groups/coalitions together in the numbers we had- including women and minorities.

*As a supporter/volunteer who did my little part ..saw the smartest strategists/leadership on the ground- in every part of the country, including red states..never took anything for granted or gave up.It was a "diverse" group of supporters/volunteers who worked so hard.

*No matter what people "thought/felt" about about the political positions of political parties..to get voters to the polls is a challenge..anyone who works in campaigns knows..it's like a game/match..we can have everything planned and calculated..but, if the players don't come out and deliver..it's all over. And to bring older voters, college students is not easy..they will find all kinds of excuses not to vote..so was thrilled by the real enthusiasm..it was not hard work as we thought..was good to see the turnout..the long lines, people who waited so patiently....when the general perception was "not much enthusiasm"- and it's was/is so misleading.

* I have not made my reservations yet- but I hear the hotels are booked up already for Inauguration on Jan 21, 2013 in all the areas around Washington DC..and not just by people in the US.. it's going to be a historic occasion and a truly historic second term for the President in many ways- unless something dramatically happens (and there is always that fear).

*Am done..talking about the election stuff!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:24 am

Maria S wrote:TBT,

I did not read all your posts this election season..from the few I read, you were changing your predictions (were you not?) faster than Mr. Mitt was changing political positions:D!

Am so relieved the Election is over..for Obama supporters and volunteers like me..it was a tough fight..and experiences we can never forget..

And I would rather say why President Obama won- instead of why Mr. Romney lost:

*Barack was the far better/trustworthy candidate..not to mention "one of a kind" person..don't think we will ever see another candidate (Republican or Democrat) like him to bring so many people/groups/coalitions together in the numbers we had- including women and minorities.

*As a supporter/volunteer who did my little part ..saw the smartest strategists/leadership on the ground- in every part of the country, including red states..never took anything for granted or gave up.It was a "diverse" group of supporters/volunteers who worked so hard.

*No matter what people "thought/felt" about about the political positions of political parties..to get voters to the polls is a challenge..anyone who works in campaigns knows..it's like a game/match..we can have everything planned and calculated..but, if the players don't come out and deliver..it's all over. And to bring older voters, college students is not easy..they will find all kinds of excuses not to vote..so was thrilled by the real enthusiasm..it was not hard work as we thought..was good to see the turnout..the long lines, people who waited so patiently....when the general perception was "not much enthusiasm"- and it's was/is so misleading.

* I have not made my reservations yet- but I hear the hotels are booked up already for Inauguration on Jan 21, 2013 in all the areas around Washington DC..and not just by people in the US.. it's going to be a historic occasion and a truly historic second term for the President in many ways- unless something dramatically happens (and there is always that fear).

*Am done..talking about the election stuff!

The Messiah lost your State. Get over that.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 am

HA,

*I always try to keep my word* Not a word on a certain topic from me:)

Since you are special..Happy Diwali/Deepavali wishes in advance!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:43 pm

I want Bill Clinton to stand again for 2016 and Obama for 2020.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

it was a driver in this election, and a majority of the people concluded that obama's policies are better for the economy.

>>> Romney's math made no sense, not to mention the republican party spreading itself too thin on multiple disparate issues. In that sense, it was more a vote against him than for Obama. Despite that, Romney didn't lose by a landslide. The only reason for this is the general feeling about an economic malaise. If the economic malaise continues, the dynamic could well be different, unless of course the republican's shoot themselves in the foot again by putting their 'crazy aunts in the attic' out front for the whole world to see.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

yeah romney won the entire old confederacy. congratulations!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>> Romney's math made no sense, not to mention the republican party spreading itself too thin on multiple disparate issues. In that sense, it was more a vote against him than for Obama. Despite that, Romney didn't lose by a landslide. The only reason for this is the general feeling about an economic malaise. If the economic malaise continues, the dynamic could well be different, unless of course the republican's shoot themselves in the foot again by putting their 'crazy aunts in the attic' out front for the whole world to see.

nobody is going to win or lose election by landslides. hasn't been the case since 2000.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

yeah romney won the entire old confederacy. congratulations!

Ironically, the entire NE - Mass, NH, VT, MI - Romney's neighbors know him much better than far away cattle-class people.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Romney lost because the people trusted him less than they trusted a president whose performance was far short of the stratospheric expectations they had for him. If Romney had pivoted to the center earlier, he may have done better. But his pandering to the far right in the primaries and fear of the loud mouthed base even after he secured the nomination did him in.

The fundamental assumption of the Romney campaign was that he did not need to have a plan that adds up because people would be unhappy enough with Obama to vote him out. Thus assumption was actively invalidated by the Obama campaign through clever coalition building... Latinos, black people, women, auto workers, gay people, etc. Stupid extremists of the other side helped Obama by taking about rape and self deportation. And Romney lacked the spine to stand up to then and lost the election.

One interesting illustration of the trust gap for Romney is this. Just 78% of Mormons told exit pollsters that they voted for him, while 80% of then had gone for Bush. He just could not convince people that he was genuine.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Romey's Rahu-Ketu and Mangal dasha not good. The favorable stars were not aligned.

There are many more reasons why Romney lost.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah Romney's loss is like Karna's death. A hundred different causes, but basically a flawed candidate with too much baggage.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:12 pm

The idea that this was a split result is wrong. Democrats gained in both the house and the senate and win the white house. In fact, total number of votes was more for Democratic candidates than for Republicans although the later win more seats thanks to gerrymandering.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:23 pm

panini press wrote:Romney lost because the people trusted him less than they trusted a president whose performance was far short of the stratospheric expectations they had for him. If Romney had pivoted to the center earlier, he may have done better. But his pandering to the far right in the primaries and fear of the loud mouthed base even after he secured the nomination did him in.

The fundamental assumption of the Romney campaign was that he did not need to have a plan that adds up because people would be unhappy enough with Obama to vote him out. Thus assumption was actively invalidated by the Obama campaign through clever coalition building... Latinos, black people, women, auto workers, gay people, etc. Stupid extremists of the other side helped Obama by taking about rape and self deportation. And Romney lacked the spine to stand up to then and lost the election.

One interesting illustration of the trust gap for Romney is this. Just 78% of Mormons told exit pollsters that they voted for him, while 80% of then had gone for Bush. He just could not convince people that he was genuine.

Yes, trust it is.

Don't know why Romney didn't get this.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:finally, unskewedpolls.com = LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Why Romney lost? Fivethirtyeight-1110-accuracy2012-1-blog480
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down