Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In other election news

5 posters

Go down

In other election news Empty In other election news

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 am

America has elected its first practicing Hindu to the House of Representatives. Successful Indian American politicians like Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley converted to Christianity before running for office, but this marks another milestone in the process of America becoming a more diverse country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/12/tulsi-gabbard-hindu-congress-oath-bhagavad-gita_n_2117474.html
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

In other election news Empty Re: In other election news

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 pm

ok she is reasonably good looking. when can we expect her first sex scandal to break and enthrall puritan americans?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:28 pm

tubelight just turned on: on a recent trip to honolulu, i saw this woman's name plastered everywhere. told myself the name sounds interesting. never made the connection that she might be part indian.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Wasn't Dr Dalip Singh Saund(first Indian to be elected to congress way back in the '50s) a Hindu or Sikh?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ok she is reasonably good looking.

Il Professore, no one can match that horse-faced, skinny, celebrity model/chef etc.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 pm

It looks like she is not ethnically Indian. Her mother, an ethnic Caucasian, is a practicing Hindu, and so is Tulsi. This is what I like about Hawaii -- the sort of place where a Hindu woman of mixed Caucasian-Samoan descent, who grew up in a Hindu and Catholic household, can be elected to Congress.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:51 pm

panini press wrote:It looks like she is not ethnically Indian. Her mother, an ethnic Caucasian, is a practicing Hindu, and so is Tulsi. This is what I like about Hawaii -- the sort of place where a Hindu woman of mixed Caucasian-Samoan descent, who grew up in a Hindu and Catholic household, can be elected to Congress.

Ahhhh...there is the reason. As a whitie convert she can afford to practice and come across as a H I N D U. If it had been a Desi hindu, he would not have been elected.

The 50s congressman was a Sardar... not a Hindu (Sardars will be angry)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down