Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conveying NY accent through sign language - ASL

Go down

Conveying NY accent through sign language - ASL Empty Conveying NY accent through sign language - ASL

Post by Petrichor Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 pm

http://www.wbur.org/npr/165218742/sign-language-its-not-just-about-the-hands

"OK. Yeah. I had a deaf parents. I grew up speaking sign language. I consider it my native language, and I was a professional interpreter for many years, certified. My mother went to the - was born and raised - went to the school for the deaf in Austin, Texas. And so she and her sister, who is also deaf, kind of had a Southern accent. It's - I'm kind of prejudiced, in favor of the more Southern style of signing. It's a subtle thing and it's not always true, but I tend to see Southern signing as a little slower paced, more graceful and somehow more - I don't want to say more expressive, because there's another kind of East Coast signing that's centered around Connecticut and New York and those places that seems much faster, more - I don't know - more - just more speedy and just less what I consider graceful. And so I'm kind of prejudiced, in favor of the Southern accent."

Petrichor

Back to top Go down