Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"I'm not a scientist, man!"

4 posters

Go down

"I'm not a scientist, man!" Empty "I'm not a scientist, man!"

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Senator Marco Rubio of Florida is one of the people trying to consolidate GOP leadership with an eye on the 2016 election. In a sign of the wonderful times to come, Rubio says:

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that," he said. "It's one of the great mysteries."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/19/marco-rubio-earth-age_n_2158555.html
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

"I'm not a scientist, man!" Empty Re: "I'm not a scientist, man!"

Post by Obnoxious Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:14 pm

"Marco, the election's over. you don't have to pretend to be a drooling illiterate rube anymore just for votes.

By 2016, you can start pretending again. The bagger base will have forgotten everything. They already forgot Bush was even president, for instance."

A funny comment on that article.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:21 pm

The other funny thing... Marco thinks the actual age of the earth is a matter of "dispute amongst theologians." I guess we are now to look to theologians for answers all manner of thorny questions. Ask Marco whether the Bible got it wrong about the sun going around the earth. And offer him the option to phone a theologian friend.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:26 pm

you know they should continue in this vein. as america gets smarter, they'll become even less relevant.

what else does he think is a question for theologians -- that the earth is not the center of the universe or that it isn't flat? maybe he wants to dig up galileo galilei and wants to subject him to the inquistion. maybe he thinks the composition of water is a theological question. what a joker!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 pm

"Mr. Rubio surely knows that, according to Gallup, 46 percent of Americans and 58 percent of Republicans believe in creationism, or more specifically that “God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.”"

Jon Entine has a view about this which is appealing -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonentine/2012/05/03/republicans-are-stupid/

"I reject hard-line Republican stands on climate change, evolution, gay rights and abortion rights. But that doesn’t stop me from voicing support for many conservative principles, such as constructive free enterprise and financial sobriety, rejecting strangulating regulations, endorsing cost/benefit analysis–and from roundly criticizing the mainstream left’s scientific illiteracy on some of the most important issues of our time, including its simplistic demonization of chemicals, genetic modification, nuclear energy and the shale gas revolution. Many of my true red Republican friends think a lot more like I do — issue by issue — than do my Democratic buddies."

The main issue is, of course, false equivalency that Republicans and Conservatives advance - kooks are still on the fringes of the Democrats, but they are drivers of the Republican agendas.

I think the Republicans have still not realized that the country has gotten a lot smarter than them.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down