Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insider account on therapy

2 posters

Go down

Insider account on therapy Empty Insider account on therapy

Post by Petrichor Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:04 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/magazine/psychotherapys-image-problem-pushes-some-therapists-to-become-brands.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=general&src=me

"Three months into private practice, I had exactly four regular weekly clients. If I were a Toyota dealer, I’d be out of business. To make things seem less grim, I booked my clients back to back, so when the green light indicating that my next session had arrived went on, I felt as if I’d reached the place I labored so hard for. The work was immensely gratifying. My clients delved into their sessions. Couples found ways to connect. Others began to see how they were holding themselves back. But when the light stayed dim at the end of that last hour, I was faced with the gap between my notions of what I assumed for so long would be a thriving practice and the reality of a near-empty one."

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Insider account on therapy Empty Re: Insider account on therapy

Post by nevada Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:16 pm

LORI GOTTLIEB: Author

Ilena Silverman: editor

Illustration by Matt Dorfman

Jew York times put together a nice hebrew team to help out the author with that article.
She started practice last year and is already a book writer. Must have tapped into her Jewish connections to peddle her book and resuscitate her struggling career.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:24 pm

You could have continued to read the first 3-4 lines of the article before you prematurely came ...out with that:

"In the summer of 2011, after I completed six years of graduate school and internship training and was about to start my psychotherapy practice, I sat down with my clinical supervisor in the Los Angeles office we’d be sharing. It had been a rigorous six years, transitioning from my role as a full-time journalist always on tight deadlines to that of a therapist whose world was broken into slow, thoughtful hours listening and trying to help people come to a deeper understanding of their lives. "

She was already a full-time journalist and writes a fairly heart-felt and humble account of her struggles as someone starting out in the field. I see no upside to subvert the efforts of her own "branding consultants" by calling it as she sees it.

But what does come out clearly is your anti-semitism.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down