Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ponting announces retirement

5 posters

Go down

Ponting announces retirement Empty Ponting announces retirement

Post by nevada Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Looks like Aussie selectors finally decided enough is enough and told Ponvict to quit. Will the Indian selectors dare to do the same?

The former Australian captain has underperformed so far this series and confirmed the third Test against South Africa in Perth will be his last.

Ricky Ponting has announced his retirement from Test cricket.
Ponting will equal Steve Waugh's mark of 168 Test matches in this match, the most in the history of Australian cricket.

The entire Australian squad turned up for the press conference on Friday in Perth where Ponting made his announcement.

Advertisement
Turning 38 next month, Ponting is the highest Australian run-scorer of all time and has been described as the greatest Australian batsman outside Sir Donald Bradman.

The Tasmanian has 13,336 Test runs to his name, only Indian Sachin Tendulkar has scored more in the history of cricket.

Ponting suggested after the second Test in Adelaide where he made four and 16 that the end might be near, and his fate was now in the hands of selectors.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/ricky-ponting-announces-test-retirement-20121129-2ahxh.html

nevada

Back to top Go down

Ponting announces retirement Empty News break....Sachin to Announce Retirement...

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:52 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Ponting announces retirement Empty Re: Ponting announces retirement

Post by southindian Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:.

The records are safe.

THE RECORDS ARE SAFE

THE RECORDS ARE SAAAFFFE

Peace.... Sachin can leave now...
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:06 pm

southindian wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:.

The records are safe.

THE RECORDS ARE SAFE

THE RECORDS ARE SAAAFFFE

Peace.... Sachin can leave now...

not really at least when it comes to his test records. he has to play at least until cook retires for that to happen. the only safe way to ensure that the test records are safe is to ensure that test cricket dies. that's why the BCCI is working assiduously to kill test cricket -- so that sachin's test records are forever safe.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:33 pm

IMO just IMO once cook catches a lean trot he is gone. Same fate as graham Thorpe and collingwood

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Also punter shud have played India before coming to retirement. India can put any out of form batsman from any coubtry into top form in no time and restore his laurels you know :-), Particularly with the likes of bhajji dhinda and such super bowlers bowling at the current level

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:Also punter shud have played India before coming to retirement. India can put any out of form batsman from any coubtry into top form in no time and restore his laurels you know :-), Particularly with the likes of bhajji dhinda and such super bowlers bowling at the current level

He already got ample help from India last year - 500 plus runs at 100 plus average with a century and double century. Even the Oz selectors realized that runs against rubbish Indian bowling don't count and showed him the door!

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:49 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:IMO just IMO once cook catches a lean trot he is gone. Same fate as graham Thorpe and collingwood

Cook is not going anywhere. He is an opener and England plays plenty of test cricket, which means he will have ample scoring opportunities. Thorpe was a classy batsman but at no stage did he look like a record breaking batsman. Collingwood is a bits and pieces cricketer turned batsman. He is not even in the same class as Cook. Moreover, he started his test career at 28-29 - an age at which Cook already has a super strong start and thousands of runs to his name.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 am

nevada wrote:
The Absolute Zero wrote:IMO just IMO once cook catches a lean trot he is gone. Same fate as graham Thorpe and collingwood

Cook is not going anywhere. He is an opener and England plays plenty of test cricket, which means he will have ample scoring opportunities. Thorpe was a classy batsman but at no stage did he look like a record breaking batsman. Collingwood is a bits and pieces cricketer turned batsman. He is not even in the same class as Cook. Moreover, he started his test career at 28-29 - an age at which Cook already has a super strong start and thousands of runs to his name.

A reminder: I am the first one to predict that Cook is well poised to beat TenDucker's records. He is only 26 and already has 22 centuries and sport columnists have started comparing SRT and Cook time wise and test wise.

I am glad that more and more are joining my "Cook Party"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:03 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
nevada wrote:

A reminder: I am the first one to predict that Cook is well poised to beat TenDucker's records. He is only 26 and already has 22 centuries and sport columnists have started comparing SRT and Cook time wise and test wise.

I do remember your prediction. I think it was a year or so ago. Good call!

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:14 am

nevada wrote:
nevada wrote:

Of course, health and injuries aside, he has a very good chance. The English play longer till they are 40. Besides, he is more like Dravid except that he hit the strides at 22. Dravid was scoring in the 70s (he was 25 then) and by the time he started hitting centuries he was close to 28. So, it is quite possible Cook can comfortably overtake SRT with years to spare.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:40 am

nevada wrote:
nevada wrote:

Of course, health and injuries aside, he has a very good chance. The English play longer till they are 40. Besides, he is more like Dravid except that he hit the strides at 22. Dravid was scoring in the 70s (he was 25 then) and by the time he started hitting centuries he was close to 28. So, it is quite possible Cook can comfortably overtake SRT with years to spare.

I take back my words. Kallis is still there and Cook is creeping up on Sachin's records.

Sachin can't retire. Sachin HAS to continue playing till Kallis is gone and Cook tires chasing his records.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:50 am

I still don't see any threat from cook to $kar. He may go to get 50 or 60 centuries but then one injury will sideline him. And then comes the rejoice of our Mumbaikar :-)

Oh well we will see

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down