Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seva

+5
Vakavaka Pakapaka
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
Idéfix
Impedimenta
9 posters

Go down

seva Empty seva

Post by Impedimenta Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:33 pm

hello there!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

seva Empty Re: seva

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Welcome to SuCH, Sevaji! I am glad to see you here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm

sevaji welcome. after i saw your name here, my curiosity got the better of me and i had to go over and peek at sulekha rivr and see what you have been up to. i saw your post about the uttharakAndA (UK) in valmiki ramyaNAm. i did not read your post in detail, but your central point seems to be that the UK was not part of the original text and was added on by other authors. i want you to know that i am sympathetic to that viewpoint. what lends credence to your theory is that there is no UK at all in the kambarAmAyaNam which is a retelling in tamil verse of valmiki's original. so the folks who appended the UK to valmiki's original must have come not just well after valmiki's passing, but also after kamban.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 pm

seva, welcome!

am really glad to see you here.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sevaji welcome. after i saw your name here, my curiosity got the better of me and i had to go over and peek at sulekha rivr and see what you have been up to. i saw your post about the uttharakAndA (UK) in valmiki ramyaNAm. i did not read your post in detail, but your central point seems to be that the UK was not part of the original text and was added on by other authors. i want you to know that i am sympathetic to that viewpoint. what lends credence to your theory is that there is no UK at all in the kambarAmAyaNam which is a retelling in tamil verse of valmiki's original. so the folks who appended the UK to valmiki's original must have come not just well after valmiki's passing, but also after kamban.

If we pay attention to Valmiki Ramayan (and not the medieval Ramacharita manas), we see Ramayan without the contamination from local customs and attitudes of the authors of different Ramayans. In the original Ramayan, Seetha was a much stronger and independent minded woman. Ramacharita manas, which UP bhiyyas are fond of, vividly describes the cow belt culture!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sevaji welcome. after i saw your name here, my curiosity got the better of me and i had to go over and peek at sulekha rivr and see what you have been up to. i saw your post about the uttharakAndA (UK) in valmiki ramyaNAm. i did not read your post in detail, but your central point seems to be that the UK was not part of the original text and was added on by other authors. i want you to know that i am sympathetic to that viewpoint. what lends credence to your theory is that there is no UK at all in the kambarAmAyaNam which is a retelling in tamil verse of valmiki's original. so the folks who appended the UK to valmiki's original must have come not just well after valmiki's passing, but also after kamban.

If we pay attention to Valmiki Ramayan (and not the medieval Ramacharita manas), we see Ramayan without the contamination from local customs and attitudes of the authors of different Ramayans. In the original Ramayan, Seetha was a much stronger and independent minded woman. Ramacharita manas, which UP bhiyyas are fond of, vividly describes the cow belt culture!

kamban too has a strong sIthai. kamban was quite faithful to valmiki while injecting significant poetic beauty, but he made little subtle tweaks to the story here and there to make it conform to the prevailing mores of tamil society. and a.k.ramanujan has shown that the thai ramakien is really based on kamban's work and not directly on valmiki. i find that fascinating.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

kamban too has a strong sIthai. kamban was quite faithful to valmiki while injecting significant poetic beauty, but he made little subtle tweaks to the story here and there to make it conform to the prevailing mores of tamil society. and a.k.ramanujan has shown that the thai ramakien is really based on kamban's work and not directly on valmiki. i find that fascinating.

Yeah, Chola's influence on Thai culture was significant.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:48 am

Max,

Have you read Pulavar Kuzhanthai's Ravana Kaaviyam?

Whether you like the story line or not, great but simple poetry.

Whenever I heard the death of Tamil commanders Deepa, Vidhisha, Sornam, Anthony, Bhanu one by one in 2009, Ravana Kaaviyam lines of a mother lamenting at the death of a young commander come my mind. Mesmerizing lines.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 am

Impedimenta wrote:hello there!

Hello there, Impedimenta!

Nice of you to start a special thread.

Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:31 am

Welcome home, Seva!

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:36 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sevaji welcome. I saw your post about the uttharakAndA (UK) in valmiki ramyaNAm. i did not read your post in detail, but your central point seems to be that the UK was not part of the original text and was added on by other authors. i want you to know that i am sympathetic to that viewpoint. what lends credence to your theory is that there is no UK at all in the kambarAmAyaNam which is a retelling in tamil verse of valmiki's original. so the folks who appended the UK to valmiki's original must have come not just well after valmiki's passing, but also after kamban.

Max, thanks for the welcome and information about the kambarAmAyaNam, indicating that Kamban's version of Ramayana also does not have Uttarakanda.

Thanks also to Hells Angel, Panini Press, BW, Sasthi and others for the welcome.

Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Kinnera, thanks for the welcome.

Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:53 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Kinnera, thanks for the welcome.

Seva

Double welcome... Seva ji...

Finally, there will be some respite from AkbOredom.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:45 am

Welcome Seva.

And thanks for posting the url for Carvaka's forum on Sulekha when I wanted to visit this site.

Sandilya (my handle here is: Vakavaka Pakapaka).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:47 am

And Carvakism is getting diluted by a Panini Press method. Rashmun is eagerly awaiting to discuss important issues re. Tamil and Telangana with you.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:58 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:And Carvakism is getting diluted by a Panini Press method. Rashmun is eagerly awaiting to discuss important issues re. Tamil and Telangana with you.

Unkil, don't forget me. I've been waiting for Seva Unkil for several years now to come up with scriptural references showing that the shiva linga is NOT the lord's penis.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks Marathadi Saamiyaar and Sandilya ( V.P.) for the welcome;

and hello Merlot, you still seem to be preoccupied with lord's penis and calling people Unkil! It seems changing the site from Sulekha to Forumotion didn't do you much good.

Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Max,

Have you read Pulavar Kuzhanthai's Ravana Kaaviyam?

Whether you like the story line or not, great but simple poetry.

Whenever I heard the death of Tamil commanders Deepa, Vidhisha, Sornam, Anthony, Bhanu one by one in 2009, Ravana Kaaviyam lines of a mother lamenting at the death of a young commander come my mind. Mesmerizing lines.

Hey Kayar,

Don't be fooled by the avidya of DKheads. Ravan was a HINDIAN. If he is alive today, he will put strong threads on Iyers and throw monomaniacs, LTTE terrorists and DKheads out of the subcontinent. He will also liberate Tibet so that he can visit Merlot's favorite God in Kailash.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down