Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you ever thought of being an Entrepreneur?

+3
Obnoxious
truthbetold
Kumarg
7 posters

Go down

Have you ever thought of being an Entrepreneur? Empty Have you ever thought of being an Entrepreneur?

Post by Kumarg Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Would you rather be

An Entrepreneur who makes < USD 100K/yr ?

A Salaried employee who makes > USD 100K/yr ?

(For some reasons I can't use the voting feature)

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Have you ever thought of being an Entrepreneur? Empty Re: Have you ever thought of being an Entrepreneur?

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 pm

an employee who makes >100K/yr

i'd rather be an employee even ifi make less than 100K/year

i like to have a life and not worry about work after 5pm...owning a business is too much work...and i lack that kinda passion for anything (any business)

Back to top Go down

Have you ever thought of being an Entrepreneur? Empty Re: Have you ever thought of being an Entrepreneur?

Post by truthbetold Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:12 pm

The group on this forum would probably need at least a quater million to move their buns of cushy chairs to take risks. There could be cultural issues that could prevent many indian immigrants from taking any deviations from beaten path.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:01 am

seven wrote:an employee who makes >100K/yr

i'd rather be an employee even ifi make less than 100K/year

i like to have a life and not worry about work after 5pm...owning a business is too much work...and i lack that kinda passion for anything (any business)

And your quote says "If you get a chance in life. Take it. If it changes your life. Let it."

:-)

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:15 am

truthbetold wrote:The group on this forum would probably need at least a quater million to move their buns of cushy chairs to take risks. There could be cultural issues that could prevent many indian immigrants from taking any deviations from beaten path.

There are plenty of entrepreneurs in the silicon valley.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:17 am

There is something in silicon valley water. May be one of you entrepreneur's can bottle that and sell it to other indian immigrants outside the valley.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 am

truthbetold wrote:There is something in silicon valley water. May be one of you entrepreneur's can bottle that and sell it to other indian immigrants outside the valley.

Might be better than selling me-too apps

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:07 am

truthbetold wrote:There is something in silicon valley water. May be one of you entrepreneur's can bottle that and sell it to other indian immigrants outside the valley.
sir, the plural forms of most nouns are formed by simply attaching an 's' to the right end of the word. thus, the plural form of entrepreneur is entrepreneurs (with no apostrophe at the right end). example: "cats" for more than one cat, not "cat's."

may i also suggest that, if your child attends an american school or college, and is in the habit of using an apostrophe-'s' to form a plural, you ignore it; s/he will eventually forgive you for being correct.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi flimflam,
I thought one of the girls whacked your putrid brains out. Since you survived, why don't you give us an update who your wife is taking care of in india?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 pm

truthbetold wrote:The group on this forum would probably need at least a quater million to move their buns of cushy chairs to take risks. There could be cultural issues that could prevent many indian immigrants from taking any deviations from beaten path.

The Cost of living in US, if you include everything (Child's education and basic quality of life) needs about a Million USD,
until people start getting money back (if they get at all) from Social security.

There are some big risk takers, but a majority would want to ensure that the Million$ is already available, before they can take risks,
so that basic standard of living and essential needs are met.

So what will drive the risk takers is not Salary alone, but enough stock options/RSU's to help them create wealth, and the start ups need to beat, whatever the established companies are offering by a huge margin (because of inherent risks) to get the talent.

What is very interesting is that, with the Land prices in India, rents in the range of 400-600$ and around 10% nominal inflation, even to live in India
it looks like somebody needs around 700-800K to live comfortably. The slightly lower value is because the price of higher
education has not become astronomical as in US.

BTW I am noticing that you are posting in Indian day time zones. Are you in India ?

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks for sharing your views Raw emoticons :-)

I am not sure what you meant by saying that one would need $ 1mil to live comfortably.For how long? What is your basis for that number? Is it for a family or a single person? Are you saying that is the money one is expected to have in savings at the time of retirement? I mean if an avg educated Indian in the US earns 100K a year, how long will it take him to accumulate 1 milion USD?

Time wise , see one can always have their salaried job and work on their own start up on the weekends.

Having your company is not just about money, I think its more about freedom, independence and the huge satisfaction and high you get from the fact that you are paying other people's salaries and supporting their household :-)

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:24 pm

How often do you sign in btw

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Kumarg wrote:Thanks for sharing your views Raw emoticons :-)

I am not sure what you meant by saying that one would need $ 1mil to live comfortably.For how long?
>>Well until we kick the can, I guess OR until social security starts to take care of some of the expenses.

What is your basis for that number?
>>Lifetime costs, factoring in inflation. I do not think interest rates in US are going to keep up with inflation.
>>The entire world is doing QE! and now India also wants to join the bandwagon and FM is pressurizing RBI.
>>Well this is my view. Somebody else can have a different view.
>>If you own a house (Mortgage)/otherwise rents + decent healthcare + insurance costs + education (assuming two kids) + misc expenses + trips to India +
>>some extra for unforeseen events + vehicles + electronic gadgets + various memberships to various institutions etc.. + Inflation (net present value) +
>>basic essentials (clothes , food, communication etc..) + occasional splurging on luxury products coming up (etc..) + some help towards blood relatives +
>>Misc. (I am sure I missed a few categories here)
>>Then you factoring in inflation and then compute the net present value, based on interest rates you get (which are likely to be lower than real inflation)
>>and off course assuming that you do not have an income (except for what you can get from safe investments), in case something goes awry.

Is it for a family or a single person?
>>Family.

Are you saying that is the money one is expected to have in savings at the time of retirement?
>>It depends on where you are. I am assuming someone who still has responsibilities towards his/her family and their kids.

I mean if an avg educated Indian in the US earns 100K a year, how long will it take him to accumulate 1 milion USD?
>>You got it right! With taxes and everything it takes quite a long time to get there. That is the reason people really think hard before making a switch.

Time wise , see one can always have their salaried job and work on their own start up on the weekends.
>> Yes, well I said there are always risk takers who are willing to go the extra mile. But I do not think everybody can do that.
>> In addition there are a few who do not care about their current wealth and still do it. NRN did it, Bill Gates did it.
>> But this is an employee perspective who is going to join an established startup, not a co-founder.

Having your company is not just about money, I think its more about freedom, independence and the huge satisfaction and high you get from the fact that you are paying other people's salaries and supporting their household :-)
>>Again I never commented on the benefits of that. It is a great thing to actually own or co-found a startup.
>>My answer is from the perspective of a prospective employee to switch from an established firm to a startup.
>>Actually there is one more advantage in a startup, you might get to work on cutting edge technology, and also in multiple work areas compared to an established firm.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:46 pm

At this moment of life I would like to be both.

Had a startup like 2 years ago...made little profit, paid a LOT in taxes. None wanted to invest further and there ended our biz. I have plans but certainly not don't have good backup or support to concentrate full time.

Ahem...I am an ex entrepreneur.

May be in the next years I would still like to keep the job - work like 25-30 hrs and if possible concentrate on the biz.

Yes, it is the SV soil.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Nothing entrepreneur-y about me. It's gonna be either working or not working. I prefer not working but I should have thought this through 15 years ago and gone for a rich guy. So ya, am gonna be this way as long as I can pull it off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:Nothing entrepreneur-y about me. It's gonna be either working or not working. I prefer not working but I should have thought this through 15 years ago and gone for a rich guy. So ya, am gonna be this way as long as I can pull it off.

That would've been easier Smile

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down