Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best minds of SUCH: Please solve this puzzle

+5
Maria S
indophile
Hellsangel
bw
Rishi
9 posters

Go down

Best minds of SUCH: Please solve this puzzle Empty Best minds of SUCH: Please solve this puzzle

Post by Rishi Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 am

I went to an optometrist a couple of months ago.

The man examined my eyes at a close range with all kinds of optical devices. While he was doing that, I felt nauseated and had developed a severe headache. It only became worse minute by minute. He was done in about 20 minutes, wrote a prescription and suggested that I come back for another extensive examination. He said he detected a particular problem with eyes.

I said to myself "no way, i am going to come back to this guy."

By the time I left his office, I felt sick and was about to throw up.

Question: Why do you think I felt nauseated and got sick?

Since I do not want to steal time from my employer, I am posting this before I am leaving for work. I will check your replies in the evening.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Best minds of SUCH: Please solve this puzzle Empty Re: Best minds of SUCH: Please solve this puzzle

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 am

easy!

the optometrist is an indian who does not believe in using deodorants.

bw

Back to top Go down

Best minds of SUCH: Please solve this puzzle Empty Re: Best minds of SUCH: Please solve this puzzle

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:21 am

Paparajan, you should really stop using costco or Walmart optometrists.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 am

Hellsangel wrote:Paparajan, you should really stop using costco or Walmart optometrists.

There seems to be a lot of hatred in your heart. Why is that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 am

I get headache/nausea whenever I am straining my eyes too much. Had this almost all my life. I have had astigmatism, and weak eye muscles, for which I have exercised them, and still do.

Maybe with age, your muscles are weakning too, and you need reading glasses for hypermetrophia. Just my guess.

anyhoos, googled this for you.

Extra focusing effort or blurred vision can cause vertigo and nausea. Sometimes we see this in our new contact lens patients and can be exacerbated by motion. Please let your ophthalmologist know about this.

https://www.healthtap.com/#topics/can-eye-strain-cause-nausea

Signed

-health nerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 am

bw wrote:easy!

That is so I'm-an-Indian-so-I-can-make-racist-Indian-jokes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:29 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

no it is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:29 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

your point?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 am

bw wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

your point?

Reminded me of a Seinfeld episode. So copied that dialog here replacing Jew with Indian.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

This was a) written by Paparajan and b):

That ought to tell you.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 am

Hellsangel wrote:.
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

That ought to tell you.

no it does not clarify in any way. also, why are you calling him Paparajan always? Does he remind you of your Papa?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 am

May be something you ate before the eye exam. A flat Coke ought to fix it.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 am

Hellsangel wrote:.
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

That ought to tell you.

Smell theory doesn't make sense coz, a) he didn't mention it and b) why would he even post this if he knew the reason.

Food can be an explanation, but I would think people rule that out first.

Maybe I am relating too much to it coz I have had issues with my eyes. Even a little glare or fast moving things can be bothersome for me.

Anyway, Rishi, if the doctor wants you to come back for eye-drop or dilation exam, then do get it done. I have heard of many things discovered in nick of time coz of it. Change the doc if you have to.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 am

Is there any other kind of mind here?

Assuming what you are saying is serious..let me give it a try..*most common reasons:

*Glaucoma..people with glaucoma (increased eye pressure) often have headaches and nausea after eye exams.

*Astigmatism, which one can have with myopia (short/near sight) or hypermetropia (long/far sight) conditions..can add to the eyestrain- trying to focus during exams.

*Not sure, if your eyes were dilated..if so..some eye dilating drops..can cause reactions and lead to headaches and nausea too.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am

Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Paparajan, you should really stop using costco or Walmart optometrists.

curious: why is suggesting not to go to walmart/costco optometrists 'hatred'? are they good? or really bad?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 am

halitosis is another possibility.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 am

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

curious: why is suggesting not to go to walmart/costco optometrists 'hatred'? are they good? or really bad?

it has to do with why he keeps addressing Rishi as Paparajan in post after post even though Rishi is probably the gentlest poster on this forum and never fights with anyone. I find the usage of the term in post after post disparaging and an attempt to bully Rishi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Rishi wrote:I went to an optometrist a couple of months ago.

The man examined my eyes at a close range with all kinds of optical devices. While he was doing that, I felt nauseated and had developed a severe headache. It only became worse minute by minute. He was done in about 20 minutes, wrote a prescription and suggested that I come back for another extensive examination. He said he detected a particular problem with eyes.

Question: Why do you think I felt nauseated and got sick?

Since I do not want to steal time from my employer, I am posting this before I am leaving for work. I will check your replies in the evening.

Did he put any drops (atropine) in your eyes? Have you heard of glaucoma? How long did your head ache last? Did you have double vision, problem adjusting to light, etc., after the test? How long did the problem last? Did it reoccur?
Not going back can be a big mistake.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:09 pm

LOL awsome, best reply

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm

I am surprised people on this board are so ignorant. What Rishi described is a very common phenomenon. Every time your eye prescription ("number") increases, or you change different prescriptions (like this optometrist did, as he was quickly trying out different power lenses), one gets strong headaches and vomitting like sensation. It can also be related to a false sense of losing balance when eyes can't focus properly.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Agree with Sandilya (vakavaka something).

He dilated your eyes a bit too much and that exposes your retina to excess light. That could have easily cause headache...

This is similar to walking in the hot sun in Madras on a summer noon. the bright light puts a lot of strain on your eye (among a few other factors).

he is probably going to dilate it again (or not) and do some dye-injections and take pictures of your retina, and probably some more tests.

he will be checking for glaucoma, any macular issues, retinal bleeding, etc..etc... (guess you are close to 50 at least).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 pm

bw wrote:halitosis is another possibility.

You got it.

The American optometrist had bad breath.

He wanted me to go back because he detected early onset of cataract.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Rishi wrote:

You got it.

Ha ha ha! People strained themselves a lot to answer this.

PS: Where was this optometrist located?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Rishi wrote:

You got it.

This was a real puzzle to which you knew the answer? Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 pm

How disappointing.. glad I added: "Assuming what you are saying is serious..let me give it a try..*most common reasons:"

If it was just an effort to ridicule someone..would not have bothered-wasted my time.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Maria S wrote:How disappointing.. glad I added: "Assuming what you are saying is serious..let me give it a try..*most common reasons:"

If it was just an effort to ridicule someone..would not have bothered-wasted my time.

Awww!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Maria S wrote:How disappointing.. glad I added: "Assuming what you are saying is serious..let me give it a try..*most common reasons:"

Awww!

you are cho chweet i feel like pinching your chubby cheeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Rishi wrote:

You got it.

should you not be going to an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 pm

There are a lot of topics discussed..where one's views and opinions may not make an iota of difference..on movies, music, politics..etc, etc, etc:)

An "Aww" would be so cute..since this was a health question.. people do have nausea, headaches..and other symptoms after eye exams..really did not think that would be used to ridicule someone..I'll admit, should have known better..my bad!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:43 pm

oh, by the way - i rock!

i have always been a fan of SB and now of rishi.

it was an american with bad breath and not an indian who does not use deodorant.

Last edited by bw on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm

bw wrote:oh, by the way - i rock!

yes you do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm

it was an american with bad breath and not an indian who does not use deodorant.

Who said this optometrist was an American? there are very very few desis...but could be some other nationalities - a lot of Pseudo-Chinkus are in that field.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Rashmun wrote:

yes you do.

Thank GOD it was not my heart surgeon who had this problem! I would have died right there on the operating table.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Rishi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

yes you do.

Thank GOD it was not my heart surgeon who had this problem! I would have died right there on the operating table.

LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Who said this optometrist was an American?
there are very very few desis...but could be some other nationalities - a lot of Pseudo-Chinkus are in that field.

rishi.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:21 pm

bw wrote:

there are very very few desis...but could be some other nationalities - a lot of Pseudo-Chinkus are in that field.

rishi.

Yeah...could be a Desi American...or even a Chinku Amerikaan. Did he say what type?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 pm

bw wrote:

rishi.

Yeah...could be a Desi American...or even a Chinku Amerikaan. Did he say what type?

He was White American.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 pm

Rishi wrote:

You got it.

Next time you post on a really serious issue, people may dismiss it as another prank. Reminds me of a story my aunt told us when we were kids. A fellow cries for help and everyone in the neighborhood rushes to him only to find that it was a prank. After seeing similar pranks from him, one day, when he is being attacked by a lion, and he yelled for help...............

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14 pm

seriously, am i the only one who could see the obvious? rishi isn't exactly a new poster, is he? Rolling Eyes

it was fun to see all the stuffy posts proven wrong.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 pm

Actually, I vaguely remember him posting a similar story on Sulekha. Well, next time, I'll remember the lion-prank story.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Maria S wrote:There are a lot of topics discussed..where one's views and opinions may not make an iota of difference..on movies, music, politics..etc, etc, etc:)

An "Aww" would be so cute..since this was a health question.. people do have nausea, headaches..and other symptoms after eye exams..really did not think that would be used to ridicule someone..I'll admit, should have known better..my bad!

awwwww! Cool

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Actually, I vaguely remember him posting a similar story on Sulekha. Well, next time, I'll remember the lion-prank story.

Guruvu gAru, if someone comes to SUCH seeking medical advice, he/she has bigger problems than the medical one.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:11 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Agree with Sandilya (vakavaka something).

he is probably going to dilate it again (or not) and do some dye-injections and take pictures of your retina, and probably some .
To take pictures of retina they do it in a jiffy with something called optomap, which has been claimed to not have any side effects.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down