Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

icloud, APPL and all that jazz

5 posters

Go down

icloud, APPL and all that jazz Empty icloud, APPL and all that jazz

Post by Impedimenta Tue May 31, 2011 1:23 pm

...and it won't be free. just saying.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_23/b4231035679728.htm

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

icloud, APPL and all that jazz Empty Re: icloud, APPL and all that jazz

Post by CroMagnon Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Impedimenta wrote:...and it won't be free. just saying.

Nothing is free. Apple wants your money (a lot of it), Google wants your soul.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Apple is the greatest. Just saying....
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:...and it won't be free. just saying.

Nothing is free. Apple wants your money (a lot of it), Google wants your soul.

APPL views GOOG as its competition even though it had a huge head start in the digital music business. As of now, the problem with GOOG music on the cloud is the nature of the implementation. the intention of taking digital music to the clouds in a way that it makes sense for the consumer is the biggest hurdle to jump over, IMO. GOOG is halting because it does not have the "right" business strategy in approaching music companies. If APPL plays its cards right, it could zoom ahead. i said "could" because IMO, this would not work effectively for APPL if it just took iTunes to the web and make people pay for a subscription service. There is also the talk about investing in a "music locker" concept but not sure how cost effective that would be. At the end of the day, the player who successfully takes music out of a device and makes it accessible to consumers with a reasonable cost model will win.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Tue May 31, 2011 1:55 pm

Google is Apple's competition in the mobile and tablet arena, but I think Google will not be able to compete with Apple in music-on-the-cloud, at least in the short to medium term.

Primary reason for it is Google's customers. Google's customers usually don't pay for their music. They download pirated music. That is the reason Netflix wasn't on Android. At best Google can provide them with a music vault to keep their music. Most music labels will shy away from Google.

Right now, I think music-on-the-cloud solution is not a workable one due to bandwidth considerations and lack of unlimited data plans for mobile devices. It only gives the provider an early entrant advantage.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 31, 2011 2:05 pm

CroMagnon wrote:Most music labels will shy away from Google.
This in a nutshell is the problem for Google. Music-on-the-cloud is still a couple of years away, but with 4G being rolled out, it's not that far out. Pandora has proven that it can work.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Tue May 31, 2011 2:14 pm

CroMagnon wrote:Google is Apple's competition in the mobile and tablet arena, but I think Google will not be able to compete with Apple in music-on-the-cloud, at least in the short to medium term.

Primary reason for it is Google's customers. Google's customers usually don't pay for their music. They download pirated music. That is the reason Netflix wasn't on Android. At best Google can provide them with a music vault to keep their music. Most music labels will shy away from Google.

Right now, I think music-on-the-cloud solution is not a workable one due to bandwidth considerations and lack of unlimited data plans for mobile devices. It only gives the provider an early entrant advantage.

I seriously doubt if iCloud is going to be only about Music. It also includes a better version of mobile me and probably some other features.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:19 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:I seriously doubt if iCloud is going to be only about Music. It also includes a better version of mobile me and probably some other features.

True. A better version of mobile me, high quality soundtracks from iTunes library automatically available without upload based on your local music library, cached playback of songs on iDevices and online backups are a few features I expect.

Also it is time iOS 5 includes widgets and customization options (at least on iPad), better multi-tasking and an enhanced non-intrusive notification system.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
Also it is time iOS 5 includes widgets and customization options (at least on iPad), better multi-tasking and an enhanced non-intrusive notification system.
Yeah, I can't believe iPhone users are happy without widgets and notifications.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:31 pm

charvaka wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:
Yeah, I can't believe iPhone users are happy without widgets and notifications.

One of my gripes about Apple. Mac have had widgets forever now, but it takes them a while to implement those features on phone. Apple has notifications but they are intrusive.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
PseudoIntellectual wrote:I seriously doubt if iCloud is going to be only about Music. It also includes a better version of mobile me and probably some other features.

True. A better version of mobile me, high quality soundtracks from iTunes library automatically available without upload based on your local music library, cached playback of songs on iDevices and online backups are a few features I expect.

I read that Apple is coming up with cross-platform widgets. As they are calling OS5, I expect some major updates to the OS. The only mobile OS with good multi-tasking capabilities is web os, but it is a battery gobbler.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down