Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reddit co-founder commits suicide

4 posters

Go down

Reddit co-founder commits suicide Empty Reddit co-founder commits suicide

Post by nevada Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 pm

He was just 26!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/12/us/new-york-reddit-founder-suicide/index.html

New York (CNN) -- Aaron Swartz, the Internet political activist who co-wrote the initial specification for RSS, has committed suicide, a relative told CNN Saturday. He was 26.
"Great minds carry heavy burdens," wrote one user on Reddit, a popular social media website that Swartz helped develop and popularize following a merger in 2006.
Swartz also co-founded Demand Progress, a political action group that campaigns against Internet censorship.
A young prodigy, his passion pushed limits and landed him in legal troubles in recent years.
In 2011, he was arrested in Boston for alleged computer fraud and illegally obtaining documents from protected computers. He was later indicted from an incident in which he allegedly stole millions of online documents from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He pleaded not guilty in September, according to MIT's "The Tech" newspaper.
Two years earlier, the FBI investigated him after he released millions of U.S. federal court documents online. No charges were filed in that case.
Swartz, who completed a fellowship at Harvard's Ethics Center Lab on Institutional Corruption, frequently blogged about his life, success and personal struggles. In some instances, he wrote about death.
"There is a moment, immediately before life becomes no longer worth living, when the world appears to slow down and all its myriad details suddenly become brightly, achingly apparent," he wrote in a 2007 post entitled "A Moment Before Dying."

nevada

Back to top Go down

Reddit co-founder commits suicide Empty Re: Reddit co-founder commits suicide

Post by Rishi Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:21 pm

The guy was not just depressive. He was in fact manic depressive. I guess he must have written the RSS specifications while he was in his manic state.

It is very difficult to be a 'normal' person.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Be curious. Read widely. Try new things. I think a lot of what people call intelligence just boils down to curiosity.

This kid Schwartz got it right.

https://aaronsw.jottit.com/howtoget

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Rishi wrote:Be curious. Read widely. Try new things. I think a lot of what people call intelligence just boils down to curiosity.

I agree about intelligence. I haven't run into a curious person who isn't intelligent.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Rishi wrote:Be curious. Read widely. Try new things. I think a lot of what people call intelligence just boils down to curiosity.

** that was very useful, rishi. i looked him up on youtube and there is talk in which he gives a simple history of how several people worked to prevent internet censorship and protect freedom of speech. such a remarkable person but unfortunately i did not know that name until today.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down