how does LinkedIn work?  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how does LinkedIn work?

+5
artood2
Nila
charvaka
CroMagnon
Merlot Daruwala
9 posters

Go down

how does LinkedIn work?  Empty how does LinkedIn work?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 pm

i have a LinkedIn profile that i created a few months ago to reach out to someone. i did not create the profile for professional reasons. the profile is in my real name (duh!). the other day i got some mail from LinkedIn and i happened to visit my profile. i saw a LinkedIn recommendation that perhaps i wanted to be connected with one deepanjali pandey. that had me flummoxed. i knew deppeanjali pandey as somone who once used to post in CH. i clicked on her profile and her description matched my expectation. but other than through CH (where i do not use my real name), i have no other interaction with her. i did not exchange notes with her. we are not related (she is brahmin!). i tried to shoot her a message through LinkedIn but failed the acquaintance tests. how did LinkedIn establish that i might have a connection with her? what funky algorithm are they using? what am i missing?

Back to top Go down

how does LinkedIn work?  Empty Re: how does LinkedIn work?

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Did you check if you share the same school / college / past employment?

Or maybe you were fooling around on some matrimonial site while under the influence, and mistook the website for LinkedIn.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i have a LinkedIn profile that i created a few months ago to reach out to someone. i did not create the profile for professional reasons. the profile is in my real name (duh!). the other day i got some mail from LinkedIn and i happened to visit my profile. i saw a LinkedIn recommendation that perhaps i wanted to be connected with one deepanjali pandey. that had me flummoxed. i knew deppeanjali pandey as somone who once used to post in CH. i clicked on her profile and her description matched my expectation. but other than through CH (where i do not use my real name), i have no other interaction with her. i did not exchange notes with her. we are not related (she is brahmin!). i tried to shoot her a message through LinkedIn but failed the acquaintance tests. how did LinkedIn establish that i might have a connection with her? what funky algorithm are they using? what am i missing?

Facebook did that to me once. Suggested me some [fake] name asking if we wanted to be friends. The picture profile on that fake name was once used by a ch'er in one of his earlier ch handles. Since I don't know the real name of that ch'er, and the FB name was also fake, I had no idea where this was coming from. However, I still suspect the two are the same as 1) the picture was the same and 2) the persona of the CH handle matched the FB name choice - stud something. 3) One Ch'er was on his friend's list. Too much coincidence.

I just chuckled and deleted the suggestion. I am not *that* curious about people. And I have no intention of adding some stud on my FB where half my family is there too. I wonder if he also got a similar suggestion for me, and if he did, wonder what he made out of it. Maybe he didn't find me pretty enough to send a request? Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Did you check if you share the same school / college / past employment?

we don't. she is a somewhere in UP and lady sri ram college woman. i am all kolkata. no employment overlap either.

Or maybe you were fooling around on some matrimonial site while under the influence, and mistook the website for LinkedIn.

nope. this happened 3 days ago. further, when she was posting in CH, she was married and in singapore. i wish i could send her a note. but though LinkedIn recommends contacts, it does not allow you to send them a message (or accept the contact) till you pass the "acquaintance" test which asks you to disclose personal details about them like their email address etc. (that i do not know). however, i had managed to reach out to a person through LinkedIn 6 months ago by sending the person a note (either they did not have this "acquaintance" test then or i had passed it).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:The picture profile on that fake name was once used by a ch'er in one of his earlier ch handles.

that is pretty far fetched (considering that image recognition technology is also being used). but i did think about that angle. both her and i have used our real names to blog in sulekha. but so have other scores of CHers. why just her?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:The picture profile on that fake name was once used by a ch'er in one of his earlier ch handles.

that is pretty far fetched (considering that image recognition technology is also being used). but i did think about that angle. both her and i have used our real names to blog in sulekha. but so have other scores of CHers. why just her?

But I had no interaction with that old handle. All I can think of is, I've used the same email to create a handle on sulekha. And maybe he used the same email id to create his handles on sulekha and fb. And somehow this kinda data gets shared.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Linked In has recommended profiles of those I had emailed to ( from the same account that I used to register on LI). They must be fishing through our inboxes

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:53 pm

[quote="Huzefa Kapasi"]
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

nope.

Did you write love letters to Deepanjaliji using the email id that you have registered to LinkedIn with?
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:02 pm

CroMagnon wrote:Did you write love letters to Deepanjaliji using the email id that you have registered to LinkedIn with?

i have written love emails from my email id but not to any deepanjali or pandey.

i have not interacted with deepanjali pandey of CH save our casual posts in CH (and they were few and far between).

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:Did you write love letters to Deepanjaliji using the email id that you have registered to LinkedIn with?

i have written love emails from my email id but not to any deepanjali or pandey.

i have not interacted with deepanjali pandey of CH save our casual posts in CH (and they were few and far between).
Maybe.. sometimes the universe does things *to bring people together - known or unknown, for various.. reasons. LNKD may be doing it's *good deed by bringing you together with Deepanjali for reasons - none of us - can hope to know.. for sure. Have a good day.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:17 pm

charvaka wrote:Maybe.. sometimes the universe does things *to bring people together - known or unknown, for various.. reasons. LNKD may be doing it's *good deed by bringing you together with Deepanjali for reasons - none of us - can hope to know.. for sure. *Just took a break from a busy day and take a peek -in here... *to see what's going on with all the - friends. Have a good day.

Fixed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:22 pm

HK - regarding contacting someone on LinkedIn - you may try the paid InMail service and introduce yourself to anyone unless they have explicitly signed up for not receiving InMail. I haven't tried it myself (yet) but, I've read about a lot of folks who R2I use this service nowadays for their job search...

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
charvaka wrote:Maybe.. sometimes the universe does things *to bring people together - known or unknown, for various.. reasons. LNKD may be doing it's *good deed by bringing you together with Deepanjali for reasons - none of us - can hope to know.. for sure. *Just took a break from a busy day and take a peek -in here... *to see what's going on with all the - friends. Have a good day.

Fixed.

LOL
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Richard Hed wrote:HK - regarding contacting someone on LinkedIn - you may try the paid InMail service and introduce yourself to anyone unless they have explicitly signed up for not receiving InMail. I haven't tried it myself (yet) but, I've read about a lot of folks who R2I use this service nowadays for their job search...
I used the InMail feature a couple of years ago, and I can confirm that it works. This should sort out the mystery of Ms. Pandey and why the universe conspired to put HK in touch with her.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:59 pm

oh just say you are her friend or classmate (pick any school/college t hat u went to) and then add a note ( which is optional but u can use it to ask her if she was on CH and remembers you) She'll add you if she does.

since u dont use linked in a lot, i'll not suggest paid InMails although thats the right way to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:52 pm

It gives you recos of ppl who could've looked for you. Deepanjali might have searched for you.

Now...get over it. She did searched for your profile and she has no interest to contact you. So...LinkedIn is asking you that you may know them (her) ane you may initiate.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:58 pm

Sasthi wrote:Deepanjali might have searched for you.

she does not know my name. or maybe she does. i have disclosed my name in ch on occasions. this is the only explanation that makes sense. maybe she knew someone who shared my name.

edit. i have gotten over it. she is not my type.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

And who ij ur type? A wise man once said, after 40's anyone who says yes is your type.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

What was there to "get over"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

And who ij ur type? A wise man once said, after 40's anyone who says yes is your type.

my type is QB. as for over 40's thing, what you say applies only for women.

Blabberwock wrote:What was there to "get over"?

...the curiosity to know why LinkedIn imagined that i would like to be connected with her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:23 am

Yeah. I can sense the love between the two of you. Well, you can have your types in dreams all you want. But I guess when it comes to being selective you gotta be young and/or studly and/or super rich. For an average man, it's anybody who says yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:59 am

abhi i am of the age that the only type i have available is the keyboard. it's ok. i have lived my life. Very Happy raha dreams, i did see blabberwock in my dreams. Very Happy no offense: shes a nice woman (or girl -- relatively speaking).

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:45 am

And all this time I thought your profile pic was the lady of your dreams.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:52 am

there must be a common link. six digrees of separation. linkedin found one. your friend's friend maybe?

glad to know that someone out there thinks that LinkedIn actually works. I thought it was mainly meant for boasting about what you do (or pretend to do).

for example, a person may write that he is an Area Sales Manager when he may be selling ravalgaon candies on laxmi road. a bad example, but you get the drift?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:55 am

Another Brick wrote:there must be a common link. six digrees of separation. linkedin found one. your friend's friend maybe?

glad to know that someone out there thinks that LinkedIn actually works. I thought it was mainly meant for boasting about what you do (or pretend to do).

for example, a person may write that he is an Area Sales Manager when he may be selling ravalgaon candies on laxmi road. a bad example, but you get the drift?

Linkedin is probably most reliable of all socios. Once someone has more than 50 connections it is difficult to make up stuff. The recommendations are a bit like the current state of sulekha CH, a lot of mutual admiration.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:58 am

Another Brick wrote:there must be a common link. six digrees of separation. linkedin found one. your friend's friend maybe?

i see. a friend's friend and singapore makes sense.

Artood2 wrote:And all this time I thought your profile pic was the lady of your dreams.

well, she is enigmatic and beautiful but i have no control over what i dream about. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:09 am

[quote="Huzefa Kapasi"

QB hates u after she read some blog of urs...

Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:20 am

artood2 wrote:Linkedin is probably most reliable of all socios. Once someone has more than 50 connections it is difficult to make up stuff. The recommendations are a bit like the current state of sulekha CH, a lot of mutual admiration.

yes, linkedin is more reliable than other social networking sites, but i just don't understand how it works (or now that it is public, how it is going to make money for themselves and shareholders). like you said, it is "you scratch my back and i will scratch yours" thing on linkedin. if i were to employ someone, i would never look at what's there on linkedin. i closed my account some days ago.

i have a feeling that linkedin will not make any money for its shareholders in the long run. i see it going XM way.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 am

Rekz wrote:
QB hates u after she read some blog of urs...

deep inside she loves me. which blog?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:26 am

Another Brick wrote:
artood2 wrote:Linkedin is probably most reliable of all socios. Once someone has more than 50 connections it is difficult to make up stuff. The recommendations are a bit like the current state of sulekha CH, a lot of mutual admiration.

yes, linkedin is more reliable than other social networking sites, but i just don't understand how it works (or now that it is public, how it is going to make money for themselves and shareholders). like you said, it is "you scratch my back and i will scratch yours" thing on linkedin. if i were to employ someone, i would never look at what's there on linkedin. i closed my account some days ago.

i have a feeling that linkedin will not make any money for its shareholders in the long run. i see it going XM way.

I believe it will make money just how much is debatable. Firstly, it has a lot of reliable information. You can always crosscheck with some of the contacts on the person's page. People who lie over job experience will have to be very careful. Linkedin gets a lot of money from recruiting and HR guys who use linkedin for very targetted headhunting. In recent months, I have seen leads through linkedin go over the top. Also, a lot of guys who are looking for a job, pay monthly fees for better options. I think it will eat the business of dice.com, monster etc. Just how much is very debatable.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:33 am

Queen Bee wrote:
exactly. sick is what comes to my mind. the guy had a blog in sulekha long time back where he says he made love to goddess kali or durga's picture..uggh...since then i have hated the loser with my heart. TS says you cannot HATE anyone. I have hated one or two ..and this loser is one.

o she's just jealous. being a heterosexual male i can make love to kali and durga. she cannot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:33 am

TS don't love me...not even as a uncle ....Im moving on...

U too face the facts... QB is not interested in u..

Life sucks

Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 am

hmmmmm. this makes me want to suicide.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
o she's just jealous. being a heterosexual male i can make love to kali and durga. she cannot.

on second thoughts, she is jealous i don't blog about making love to her (QB). damned if i do, damned if i don't. o life sucks. suicide here i come.

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:22 pm

I don't know why I or anyone else didn't think about it earlier, but if you click on her link to her profile, LinkedIn will show how you are connected to Deepanjaliji.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:37 pm

CroMagnon wrote:I don't know why I or anyone else didn't think about it earlier, but if you click on her link to her profile, LinkedIn will show how you are connected to Deepanjaliji.

ya that is what i thought as well but did not say anything because i am generally confused about the threads here.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 am

@ cro & impy

i don't understand what you guys are saying. when i visit her profile page, i do not see any info. there that tells me how i am connected to her (btw i am not connected to her yet!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:04 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

yes totally. and it stands to reason: as men get older, the testosterone decreases and with it the urge to stick it into any hole that says yes. they become more selective and only go for youth and beauty from then onwards. older women get more desperate and try to tempt young men that will stick it into anything. it's the circle of life. ofcourse there are outliers and some old guys will stick fuck anything that moves and has warm blood coursing through it's veins.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 am

HK,
LinkedIn’s algorithm for searches that lead to "people you may know" are changing with the way you "seek" out contacts in linked in. some come through your email contacts[you register with an email ID and hence expose your contacts, the contact's contacts in turn become your second degree contacts and so forth]. Another set of connections come from your designation [look at it almost like you would do a job search with keywords on a job site like monster or dice]. a third set of connections come form your educational qualifications and colleges and universities that you might have supplied with your LinkedIn accounts.
There has been widespread speculation that linked in "data mines" from other social networking websites like facebook. Even though FB and LI are two different applications, if you have used a common email ID to register on both, your searches might be "mined" and your connections can be established through cross references. The same applies to sulekha if the email ID is the same. There are also the Google searches done on your first name and last name. so you see the possibilities are endless for LinkedIn to get a list of people you might know and since that is essentially their “bread and butter”, they are getting pretty darn good at it! Long story short, unless you take it upon yourself to do some testing or simply ask the techies at LinkedIn, you are going to be speculating about your mystery contact.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down