KAMALA HAASAN - IN THE TRADITION OF BALACHANDAR & BHARATHI RAJA etc., Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KAMALA HAASAN - IN THE TRADITION OF BALACHANDAR & BHARATHI RAJA etc.,

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
garam_kuta
6 posters

Go down

KAMALA HAASAN - IN THE TRADITION OF BALACHANDAR & BHARATHI RAJA etc., Empty KAMALA HAASAN - IN THE TRADITION OF BALACHANDAR & BHARATHI RAJA etc.,

Post by garam_kuta Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Just a quick note ( watched the movie today)
“paapAthiyammA.. nee shaaptu shollu.. uppukAram pOdhumAnnu” kamala haasan asks a brahmin woman character to taste the chicken that he had cooked, in his movie Vishwaroopam.

after the opening song, the very first word that kamala haasan utters in this movie is ‘paapAthiyammA’ - a pejorative term that is used with contempt, deriding brahmin women á la the N word for African Americans

This is in the tradition of his mentor Balachandar who has exploited the most of brahmin culture, their vernacular/dialect frequently in bad light. These characters could be very petty and mean, particularly women, whom he has portrayed in extremes including one that takes up prostitution to pay for the medical school education of her brother etc., Similarly director bharathi Raja uses a young brahmin girl that attempts to rape a young boy – incidentally both these male characters are played by kamala haasan. IMO this abuse of brahmin culture AFAIK was pioneered by Balachandar in the early ‘60s adopted by many directors from then on and now by kamala haasan.

The issue is the essence of the movie’s plot/story could have been equally well brought out using generic characters /vernacular from both city/village. without any compromise, the same message of the movie (if any) could be effectively communicated without portraying a particular community*. but then, perhaps it wouldn’t be spicy enough and so kamala haasan followed his gurus Balachandar and Bharathi raja in his debut as a movie director.

*along these lines, FF has posted on the issue of cabaret dancers are given mostly christian names in movies.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

KAMALA HAASAN - IN THE TRADITION OF BALACHANDAR & BHARATHI RAJA etc., Empty Re: KAMALA HAASAN - IN THE TRADITION OF BALACHANDAR & BHARATHI RAJA etc.,

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:46 pm

garam_kuta wrote:Just a quick note ( watched the movie today)
“paapAthiyammA.. nee shaaptu shollu.. uppukAram pOdhumAnnu” kamala haasan asks a brahmin woman character to taste the chicken that he had cooked, in his movie Vishwaroopam.

after the opening song, the very first word that kamala haasan utters in this movie is ‘paapAthiyammA’ - a pejorative term that is used with contempt, deriding brahmin women á la the N word for African Americans

Why aren't the Brahmins of India protesting and calling for a ban on this movie ?

Why isn't someone sueing him for hurting the sensitivies of the Brahmins?

If the Vanniars (Rajni movie) and Thevars (Virumandi) why cant the Tambrahms. No wonder the Tambrahmi sissiness is well known internationally.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

KAMALA HAASAN - IN THE TRADITION OF BALACHANDAR & BHARATHI RAJA etc., Empty Re: KAMALA HAASAN - IN THE TRADITION OF BALACHANDAR & BHARATHI RAJA etc.,

Post by Rishi Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 pm

As long as Kamal Hassan's Muslim brethren do not take offense to his movies, everything is fine.

In real life I have seen TN Brahmins getting verbally abused as well.

I heard about a terrible incident from my friend who went to Madras veterinary college. One of the freshmen was 'ragged' by a Muslim senior. The kid who was being harassed turned out to be a brahmin. He was wearing the thread. The Mussalman took a pair of scissors, cut the thread and sent him away. The poor kid was too afraid to say anything.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm

rishi,
do you keep a database of all tambram stories and all them out as necessary? or you just make up a story for the occassion.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm

truthbetold wrote:rishi,
do you keep a database of all tambram stories and all them out as necessary? or you just make up a story for the occassion.

This story I said was narrated by a friend of mine who went to that college. I have a large database of stories because I have run into lots of people in my life. Not only I observe what people do but also listen to the stuff they tell me.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Rishi wrote:

This story I said was narrated by a friend of mine who went to that college. I have a large database of stories because I have run into lots of people in my life. Not only I observe what people do but also listen to the stuff they tell me.
You should seriously put your stories into an electronic database, with proper tagging and cross-references, so future generations can benefit from them as much as we all do.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 pm

panini press wrote:
Rishi wrote:

You should seriously put your stories into an electronic database, with proper tagging and cross-references, so future generations can benefit from them as much as we all do.

Why are telling him what to do? Are you his grandmother?

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 pm

garam-kuta ,
i like balachander movies. he did a great job in movies like tanneer tanneer. non of his Telugu movies i saw show Brahmins in poor light. akali rajyam, toorpu padamara, antuleni kadha, manmadaleela, and the massive hit movie eke dujey ke liye .

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 pm

rashmun,
you developed an extreme intolerance towards pp. you seem to be taking your online difference of opinion too seriously and reacting rather unusually. such intense feeling leads bad decisions. while it is ok to argue, it is not healthy to hold grudge. just simmer down and calm yourself. none of us are your enemies.
keep up the arguments but discard unnecessary personal rivalry.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:49 pm

truthbetold wrote:rashmun,
you developed an extreme intolerance towards pp. you seem to be taking your online difference of opinion too seriously and reacting rather unusually. such intense feeling leads bad decisions. while it is ok to argue, it is not healthy to hold grudge. just simmer down and calm yourself. none of us are your enemies.
keep up the arguments but discard unnecessary personal rivalry.

I am afraid i will continue to express myself freely. I am also telling PP through my posts that I will not be intimidated by his threat of banning me or censoring my posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:33 am

Do argue on substance. Do uphold your 1st amendment rights. But do not get consumed by revenge and push the issue to personal enmity. This is just an online forum.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 am

garam_kuta wrote:Just a quick note ( watched the movie today)

That is quite a reach. Him being a staunch atheist, equally offends everybody. Nothing to see here. move along.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down