Shashi Tharoor: The case for Malayali chauvinism  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shashi Tharoor: The case for Malayali chauvinism

Go down

Shashi Tharoor: The case for Malayali chauvinism  Empty Shashi Tharoor: The case for Malayali chauvinism

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:43 pm

The first, inevitably, is the Malayalam language, born of the fusion of two great classical languages, Tamil and Sanskrit. This enables Malayalis to master languages deriving either from the Indo-European or Dravidian linguistic families, an incomparable advantage that does not work in reverse: Malayalis learn Hindi or Tamil more easily than UPites or Madrasis learn Malayalam. (The polyglot Gandhiji famously stumbled in his attempts to learn even a smattering of Malayalam.)....

Mr. Sreetilak wins his argument conclusively with his clincher: books. Kerala’s book culture is unmatched in India. Original works, translations, regional favourites, global classics — the Malayali reader has them all. You can read “Beowulf” in Malayalam (and in no other Indian language), as well as the complete works of Shakespeare (ditto). My own publishers, Penguin Books, have bowed to this reality by deciding to start publishing in Malayalam. “Intellectually,” Mr. Sreetilak concludes triumphantly, “we are to India what France is to Europe.”

http://tharoor.in/articles/in-praise-of-questions/

---------

I would love to know whether the Tamils and Telugus on this forum agree with Tharoor's claim that Malayalis have a lot to be chauvinistic about.

Back to top Go down

Shashi Tharoor: The case for Malayali chauvinism  Empty Re: Shashi Tharoor: The case for Malayali chauvinism

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:45 pm

In Bangalore, I was told by Malayalis that whenever they are talking with Tamils the communication invariably takes place in tamil since their tamil is almost always better than the Malayalam of the Tamilians.

Back to top Go down

Shashi Tharoor: The case for Malayali chauvinism  Empty Re: Shashi Tharoor: The case for Malayali chauvinism

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Tharoor's article has inspired me to write a series of blogs titled 'The case for UPite chauvinism', 'The case for Kashmiri chauvinism', 'The case for Tamil chauvnism', etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down