one thing i dislike about the american public education system - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

one thing i dislike about the american public education system

+8
bw
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
garam_kuta
Petrichor
Uppili
Jeremiah Mburuburu
rawemotions
MaxEntropy_Man
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

one thing i dislike about the american public education system - Page 2 Empty Re: one thing i dislike about the american public education system

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Nenu...how many AP's are considered average and normal in your school?

And yes BC calc does not have Ab calc as a prerequisite..in fact the bc calc score from collegeboard comes built-in with a subscore for the ab section.

No idea, muzz. I googled. It is one of the nine high schools from my county to have been recognized as 'AP merit schools', but it doesn't say anything abt the average # of APs. My wild guess is 6.

Back to top Go down

one thing i dislike about the american public education system - Page 2 Empty Re: one thing i dislike about the american public education system

Post by Petrichor Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:01 pm

It looks like 6-10 AP's is the 'norm'.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:It looks like 6-10 AP's is the 'norm'.

I guess. Educational standards are getting higher and higher in US, what with all the indian and asian immigrants. Too many overachievers in schools. I can see the difference from my older one's time to the younger one's and it's getting worse/better.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm

yikes!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 pm

kinnera wrote:

I guess. Educational standards are getting higher and higher in US, what with all the indian and asian immigrants. Too many overachievers in schools. I can see the difference from my older one's time to the younger one's and it's getting worse/better.

I was speaking with a friend who mentioned this is mutually assured destruction arms race where everyone ends up working harder.

In social circuits, education used to be a polite and invisible topic. Nowadays it has become fairly central to lots of conversations - and in get-togethers it is no longer expected that high schoolers will participate - they are too busy and never at home for weekends. Dinners are mostly times for strategy chats, parents are just chiefs-of-staff, brief preparers, alarm clocks, schedule managers, wardrobe assistants, brand managers, and valets. People may be in the same room, but everyone is in their own self-created electronic spaces.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:
kinnera wrote:

I was speaking with a friend who mentioned this is mutually assured destruction arms race where everyone ends up working harder.

In social circuits, education used to be a polite and invisible topic. Nowadays it has become fairly central to lots of conversations - and in get-togethers it is no longer expected that high schoolers will participate - they are too busy and never at home for weekends. Dinners are mostly times for strategy chats, parents are just chiefs-of-staff, brief preparers, alarm clocks, schedule managers, wardrobe assistants, brand managers, and valets. People may be in the same room, but everyone is in their own self-created electronic spaces.

Yeah, it's the same scenario here too Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 pm

kinnera wrote:

>>>>This is true. My personal opinion is that if the kid is naturally a high achiever, more power to him/her. Otherwise, the rule of thumb should be to understand the kids' strengths and push them 10%, but no more. The 10% rule is to combat any potential laziness. Excessive push to have him/her keep up with the Joneses will end up being a turnoff. The practical side to this is the forest getting missed for the trees, with the kid getting pushed into a field which is only of marginal interest and missing the opportunity to blossom in time in something that could really fire him/her up.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 am

nenu wrote:What did d do after she completed calc bc in the middle of the 10th grade in HS? What math courses did she do in 11th and 12th grade?
i remember now. she took calculus ab in the 1st half of the year, then with the approval of the math department, did calculus bc in the 2nd half, mostly by herself, with guidance from the bc teacher. she didn't attend the bc lectures, but did the hw assignments, quizzes, and tests. she used a good textbook. at the end of the year, she wrote both the ab and bc ap exams. in effect, she completed both ab and bc in one year.

she took other interesting courses in 11th and 12th grades, including ap economics and ap statistics. she had plenty of other things to do too, in particular, captain the tennis team and engage in neuroscience research at a university. d was and is a sponge for knowledge; we never had to push her. at college, she graduated with two degrees: a b.s. in physics, and a b.a. in economics. she's now in the latter field.

after college, she applied for a job to only one org. sixteen groups there invited her to interviews. she picked eight to interview, and three offered her jobs, of which she chose one.

p.s. american etiquette permits everyone to brag about his/her d - not s - so long as she's still at university. in any case, s's gpa on graduation from school was 2.75, yes, out of a possible 4.0. we never despaired.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:

after college, she applied for a job to only one org. sixteen groups there invited her to interviews. she picked eight to interview, and three offered her jobs, of which she chose one.

p.s. american etiquette permits everyone to brag about his/her d - not s - so long as she's still at university. in any case, s's gpa on graduation from school was 2.75, yes, out of a possible 4.0. we never despaired.

It is always amazing how kids turn out so different.

So did "d" finish and in a job already? Thot she started just 3 years ago.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:33 am

Uppili wrote:

when i said "after college," i meant "immediately after her undergrad years." she's now in the 4th year of her ph. d. program.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:08 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:the mentor of any middle-school student today who wants to guide his/her child through math and the sciences should take into account the hand-held, graphing calculators available today for $100 to $160 or so. the ti-89 and ti's more recent nspire (yes, that's the spelling) can instantly determine integrals in symbolic form. the ti-84, which is about fifteen years old, has always been able to determine definite integrals numerically with great accuracy.

this changes the math education game entirely, increasing the importance of conceptual understanding, modeling and interpretation of results, and decreasing that of computation and even symbolic manipulation.
may i add that...

...i wasn't advocating the use of the hand-held, texas instruments graphing calculator as a mere computing or even problem solving device. its highest-order function, i think, is as a teaching device: to conduct experiments with, and learn from.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:27 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:one of d's college admission essays was about learning mathematics with me, all the way from childhood. (i never suggested that she write such an essay.) needless to say, i loved it.
i looked for that essay in my files and found it. here's an excerpt:

When I was four and my brother was *****, we would play this game with my father called “The Wicked Shopkeeper of Nambonga.” We would come into his evil shop to buy some candy, and my father would tell us how much we should pay him. Wielding our new multiplication skills, we would inevitably discover to our delight that he was trying to cheat us. So I would call the police on my Fisher-Price phone, and my brother would arrive as the police, screaming siren noises, and we would nab the shopkeeper, who always tried to evade arrest as evil shopkeepers usually do. We would have to wrestle him to the ground, each of us grappling an entire arm. In this way, math was always a game to me, and learning was always exciting.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:here's an excerpt:

When I was four and my brother was *****, we would play this game with my father called “The Wicked Shopkeeper of Nambonga.” We would come into his evil shop to buy some candy, and my father would tell us how much we should pay him. Wielding our new multiplication skills, we would inevitably discover to our delight that he was trying to cheat us. So I would call the police on my Fisher-Price phone, and my brother would arrive as the police, screaming siren noises, and we would nab the shopkeeper, who always tried to evade arrest as evil shopkeepers usually do. We would have to wrestle him to the ground, each of us grappling an entire arm. In this way, math was always a game to me, and learning was always exciting.

sir, is that kosher? i mean, using "this game" instead of "a game"?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:39 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:

When I was four and my brother was *****, we would play this game with my father called “The Wicked Shopkeeper of Nambonga.”

not exactly, but we're not jewish. in any case, she wouldn't have taken any suggestion from me.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 am

nenu wrote:What did d do after she completed calc bc in the middle of the 10th grade in HS? What math courses did she do in 11th and 12th grade?
i remember now. she took calculus ab in the 1st half of the year, then with the approval of the math department, did calculus bc in the 2nd half, mostly by herself, with guidance from the bc teacher. she didn't attend the bc lectures, but did the hw assignments, quizzes, and tests. she used a good textbook. at the end of the year, she wrote both the ab and bc ap exams. in effect, she completed both ab and bc in one year.

she took other interesting courses in 11th and 12th grades, including ap economics and ap statistics. she had plenty of other things to do too, in particular, captain the tennis team and engage in neuroscience research at a university. d was and is a sponge for knowledge; we never had to push her. at college, she graduated with two degrees: a b.s. in physics, and a b.a. in economics. she's now in the latter field.

Uppili wrote:

when i said "after college," i meant "immediately after her undergrad years." she's now in the 4th year of her ph. d. program.

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:the mentor of any middle-school student today who wants to guide his/her child through math and the sciences should take into account the hand-held, graphing calculators available today for $100 to $160 or so. the ti-89 and ti's more recent nspire (yes, that's the spelling) can instantly determine integrals in symbolic form. the ti-84, which is about fifteen years old, has always been able to determine definite integrals numerically with great accuracy.

this changes the math education game entirely, increasing the importance of conceptual understanding, modeling and interpretation of results, and decreasing that of computation and even symbolic manipulation.
may i add that...

...i wasn't advocating the use of the hand-held, texas instruments graphing calculator as a mere computing or even problem solving device. its highest-order function, i think, is as a teaching device: to conduct experiments with, and learn from.

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:one of d's college admission essays was about learning mathematics with me, all the way from childhood. (i never suggested that she write such an essay.) needless to say, i loved it.
i looked for that essay in my files and found it. here's an excerpt:

Captain Bhankas wrote:

When I was four and my brother was *****, we would play this game with my father called “The Wicked Shopkeeper of Nambonga.”

not exactly, but we're not jewish. in any case, she wouldn't have taken any suggestion from me.
Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:

sir, i asked because you once rapped my knuckles for using "this" in a similar fashion and attributed the mistake to everything northindian about me.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

sir, i asked because you once rapped my knuckles for using "this" in a similar fashion and attributed the mistake to everything northindian about me.
that, sir, is kosher.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:05 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

she was a 17-year-old, and you were a northindian; she's no more a 17-year-old, but you are still a northindian.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 am

I blame it all on the little Hindi she learned from Mrs Chaturvedi, the Phd Hindi teacher.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

she was a 17-year-old, and you were a northindian; she's no more a 17-year-old, but you are still a northindian.

I thought she's American now like you.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:41 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:I blame it all on the little Hindi she learned from Mrs Chaturvedi, the Phd Hindi teacher.
i don't.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:51 pm

JM, your D got good credentials. The excerpt from her college essay is very nice. As for S, as long as he's happy in/with his life, nothing else matters. GPAs don't mean much when it comes to that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:she was a 17-year-old, and you were a northindian; she's no more a 17-year-old, but you are still a northindian.

but you were an uptight, grouchy spellchecker when she was 17, weren't you?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:she was a 17-year-old, and you were a northindian; she's no more a 17-year-old, but you are still a northindian.

the spellchecker didn't catch gc when he wrote under the belief that perdition meant loss, and the expression is "treat a person with kit gloves," nor indophile for his "renumeration," did it?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:

the spellchecker didn't catch gc when he wrote under the belief that perdition meant loss, and the expression is "treat a person with kit gloves," nor indophile for his "renumeration," did it?

You are WRONG. Perdition etymologically means destruction or loss. To say that perdition only means "hell" or "eternal damnation" is being very narrow in its definition. See below:

LOST IN TRANSLATION -- Michael J. Sheehan (Member of the Dictionary Society Of North America)

I’ve always found it amusing that the family name Perdue in Perdue Farms, a huge purveyor of chicken, probably comes from the French word meaning lost. You come through our coops, chickie, and you’re dead meat. This in spite of the disclaimer found on their web site:

"Perdue Farms and our farm-family partners share a belief that it is our responsibility to treat the animals in our care with respect." [
Poultry Welfare]

But I digress. As a root, -perd- came from a Latin word meaning to destroy or lose; in turn, that came from the Greek of the same meaning. It later morphed into the spiritual sense of moral corruption and ruin, even becoming
a substitute word for hell.

Aside from the familiar perdition, the root showed up in a number of words.

• deperdition: loss, waste, destruction by wasting away.
• disperdition: an undoing.
• imperdible: unable to be lost or destroyed.
• ligniperdous: wood-destroying.
• officiperd: the throwing away of one's labor.
• perdido: a person who is considered lost; a desperate or depraved person; a dead person.
• perdifoil: a plant that loses its leaves annually; a deciduous plant.
• perdite: debauched, abandoned, wicked.
• perditious: damnable, pernicious. Also in weakened sense: harmful, undesirable.

http://verbmall.blogspot.in/2008/02/lost-in-translation.html

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2