What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 am

next time, you can try the traditional menu - vengaya sambar with urulai roast
btw - cool presentation - covering a steel katori with banana leaves.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 PotatoRoast1

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Looks good.

thanks trace! it tasted as good as it looks. the credit should go to my wife for she made it following impy's recipe faithfully. she was a bit apprehensive about using sesame oil ('cos we always used refined oil for sambar at home) but still went ahead. she wasn't getting the sambar aroma either initially (when cooking) but in the end it all turned out perfect.

Cool you use banana leaves to eat SI food at home?

no, we use steel thalis normally (as you can see in a pic. upthread). we decided to get fancy today. the whole family ate on banana leaves. actually, when my wife and i were in bangalore a few months ago, we were served on banana leaves in a restaurant. and it was a fast moving but still upscale eatery. we promised that we'd eat on banana leaves at home. and, ha ha, i remember, having arrived at our table in that restaurant, i had commenced sprinkling a few drop of water on the banana leaf when the waitstaff spread it before me. he stopped me saying, sir, they have already been washed. damn these non brahmins, i had thought, they won't even let me sprinkle a few drops of water as ablution to the gods!

in fact, come diwali, we will eat on sal leaf plates at home during the festive days.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 Sallea10

sal leaf plates are rarely seen nowadays (thermocol plates and cups being more popular).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:next time, you can try the traditional menu - vengaya sambar with urulai roast

oh wow. i was thinking today, when lunching, that a potato roast dish should also have been a part of this fare. but i did not know that it was uralai roast that i was thinking of. will incorporate this in our next meal of vengaya sambar and rice. also, i think 'cos we were so engrossed with the making of the vengaya sambar, we forgot to top the meal with curd rice.

btw - cool presentation - covering a steel katori with banana leaves.

Shocked i thought nobody would notice this. you do get banana leaf katoris (though they are squarish or rectangular). but good job sherlock!

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:36 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:having arrived at our table in that restaurant, i had commenced sprinkling a few drop of water on the banana leaf when the waitstaff spread it before me. he stopped me saying, sir, they have already been washed. damn these non brahmins, i had thought, they won't even let me sprinkle a few drops of water as ablution to the gods!

being an upscale restaurant, they probably performed the necessary ablutions for you as a complimentary service.
in any case, it is more of a necessary large particle matter removal version of cleansing rather than a sacred cleansing that is performed before food is served. after food (specifically rice, toor dal and ghee) is served, you can do the sprinkling of water around the leaf and thank the gods.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:42 am

@ .|Sublime|. urulai roast has a complicated chettinad masala. link what is kalpasi bark?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:44 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:being an upscale restaurant, they probably performed the necessary ablutions for you as a complimentary service.

very funny. -_-

after food (specifically rice, toor dal and ghee) is served, you can do
the sprinkling of water around the leaf and thank the gods.

finally understood this entire ablution or ritual. i'll get another chance to act brahmin in that restaurant.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:@ .|Sublime|. urulai roast has a complicated chettinad masala. link what is kalpasi bark?

boy, what sacrilege! using garlic and copious amounts of masala in a traditional tambram meal! no amount of ablution will please the tambram gods.

i looked at a few recipes online and I couldn't find any that looked authentic. if you are interested, I will type up the recipe from the book 'cook and see' which is the last word in tambram cuisine.

kalpasi bark - i think it is some kind of a lichen. i have seen it being sold in hill stations but never used it.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 22-250x250

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:00 pm

please post your recipe ms tambrahm.

and, oh yes, tia. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Looks like the book I have does not have the recipe.

Try Recipe 1 here

Or the one here - except do not use fennel seeds, urad dal or channa dal as mentioned in the recipe.

Another typical tambram recipe is potato podimas - modified from the first link (my notes underlined)
"Boil the potatoes. Peel,
crumble and salt them. Heat oil and pop some mustard seeds. Put chopped slit green chillies, ginger pieces (I do not like to bite into ginger but you can use if you want), hing, curry leaves, chana dal and urad dal into
the oil and fry until the lentils are golden brown. Add turmeric powder. Add the crumbled
potatoes to the above, bring it all together by stirring well and in the
end garnish with freshly grated coconut after taking it off the heat squeeze some lemon juice and mix. "

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:11 am

I detest this potatoes with lime preparation. Nope. Cant relish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:44 am

nutmeg wrote:I detest this potatoes with lime preparation. Nope. Cant relish.

don't like alu chat?

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 Aloo-c10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:35 am

Chat is tolerable. Alu curry with lime is vile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:Another typical tambram recipe is potato podimas - modified from the first link"

Subbulakshmi, I thought you were a Telugu pilla. I'm now losing my faith in humanity at this kind of misappropriation of generic South Indian recipes and misattribution to Tambrahm origins.

Max tried it with dosas and now you're doing it to masala inside those dosas. What is it with Tambrahms and this culinary kleptomania??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:30 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:kalpasi bark - i think it is some kind of a lichen. i have seen it being sold in hill stations but never used it.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 22-250x250

Subbulakshmi, a bark can't be a lichen. This is kallu hoovu (in Kannada) alias dagad phool aka patthar phool.

In Latin, that is parmetia perlata (although I might be mistaken and this might be the name of the half-sister of Julius Caesar's cousin by marriage in some Asterix tale)
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:Looks like the book I have does not have the recipe.

Try Recipe 1 here

Or the one here - except do not use fennel seeds, urad dal or channa dal as mentioned in the recipe.

Another typical tambram recipe is potato podimas - modified from the first link (my notes underlined)
"Boil the potatoes. Peel,
crumble and salt them. Heat oil and pop some mustard seeds. Put chopped slit green chillies, ginger pieces (I do not like to bite into ginger but you can use if you want), hing, curry leaves, chana dal and urad dal into
the oil and fry until the lentils are golden brown. Add turmeric powder. Add the crumbled
potatoes to the above, bring it all together by stirring well and in the
end garnish with freshly grated coconut after taking it off the heat squeeze some lemon juice and mix. "

ok, we will make "recipe 1" tomorrow ('cos i want to try the rice flour crispiness thing too) and potato podimas after a few days. so vengaya means onions? and urulai is alu. sometime ago when max had used the word urulaikizhangu for alu, there did not seem that the two shared a prakrit root word. but urulai and alu are not very far...of course i am imagining things and let's leave all that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:25 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:Another typical tambram recipe ...

ok, quick question. are there any other typical tambrahm dishes (or your favourites) that you'd recommend? i was contemplating buying "cook and see" earlier today but, you now, we have several cookbooks in the house but we rarely consult them. it's mostly our own "cookbook" that we use and that keeps getting added to.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote:Another typical tambram recipe is potato podimas - modified from the first link"
now you're doing it to masala inside those dosas. What is it with Tambrahms and this culinary kleptomania??

hello sodabottleopenerwallahji, granted you are a gourmand and someone who frequently partakes of 10 course meals. i may not know much of tambram cuisine but i do know that potato podimas is different from the potato masala used inside masala dosas.
and yea tambrahms are an evil bunch. we should watch out for them. next thing you know they will say that thayir sadam with vadu maanga is their creation!

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Subbulakshmi, a bark can't be a lichen. This is kallu hoovu (in Kannada) alias dagad phool aka patthar phool.

In Latin, that is parmetia perlata (although I might be mistaken and this might be the name of the half-sister of Julius Caesar's cousin by marriage in some Asterix tale)

lol! @ parmetia perlata asterixa
yea no idea what that bark or lichen is. but it is called stone flower in english. so much for being a bark.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Subbulakshmi, I thought you were a Telugu pilla. I'm now losing my faith in humanity at this kind of misappropriation of generic South Indian recipes and misattribution to Tambrahm origins.

Max tried it with dosas and now you're doing it to masala inside those dosas. What is it with Tambrahms and this culinary kleptomania??

I have to agree, I wondered the same. It seemed like a recipe that's used all over India.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:48 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
now you're doing it to masala inside those dosas. What is it with Tambrahms and this culinary kleptomania??

hello sodabottleopenerwallahji, granted you are a gourmand and someone who frequently partakes of 10 course meals. i may not know much of tambram cuisine but i do know that potato podimas is different from the potato masala used inside masala dosas.
and yea tambrahms are an evil bunch. we should watch out for them. next thing you know they will say that thayir sadam with vadu maanga is their creation!

aunty, I think agent's (licenced to unkil) point is that there isnt anything inherently exclusively iyeran about the garden variety potato fry that everyone below the vindhyas tend to tiresomely make. he also had produced concrete proof in the past that dosa was originally makeran by someone in karnataka and not the creative iyers. that he served the revisionist proof with a large side of snide sneering doesnt detract from the truth.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

ok, quick question. are there any other typical tambrahm dishes (or your favourites) that you'd recommend? i was contemplating buying "cook and see" earlier today but, you now, we have several cookbooks in the house but we rarely consult them. it's mostly our own "cookbook" that we use and that keeps getting added to.

you are correct about having too many cookbooks. i found that i end up liking only a few recipes in a book and keep making only those again and again. but cook and see is one book that i have found to be a good reference. i do not cook tambrahm food that often but when i do, if i have to look up a recipe i pick up this book. for most other cuisines, i end up googling for the recipe.

twice last week we had friends over for dinner and I will just type up what we had. these are not typical tambrahm meals - atleast I dont think they are - more like generic south indian but it definitely has some tambrahm elements because they came from cook and see.

Day 1:
onion sambar
potato roast
spinach chana dal
grated carrot salad with tomatoes
cucumber raita
dosakaya patchadi
white rice
fried urad dal papad
homemade avakayalu (this recipe from cook and see - the best recipe!)
fruits and rasgolla

Day 2:
sambar rice
curd rice
potato kundru fry vegetable
string beans with coconut vegetable
grated cabbage and carrot salad with peanuts
beetroot and mint raita
mexican mint/potato/onion bajji
fried urad dal papad
homemade avakayalu
fruits and ras malai

Sometime this week I plan to make drum stick kuzhambu, aviyal and okra fry for dinner.

I think max had mentioned another book. I forget which one. if you are looking for specific recipes, maybe some typical tambrahm can help you out. i will try to get you a good recipe also.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
aunty, I think agent's (licenced to unkil) point is that there isnt anything inherently exclusively iyeran about the garden variety potato fry that everyone below the vindhyas tend to tiresomely make. he also had produced concrete proof in the past that dosa was originally makeran by someone in karnataka and not the creative iyers. that he served the revisionist proof with a large side of snide sneering doesnt detract from the truth.

my dear uncle ji, i was refering to podimas not being the same as masala inside dosa. potato fry is a fairly generic dish but the iyers removed all the masala, onions and garlic and have made it theirs. Also it helps to reinforce ownership by including it in every meal served to guests along with vengaya sambar and semia payasam. i shall not argue with sodabottleopenerwalah or you about theorem and proof of this statement. allow me to say QED.

i thought dosas were a gift of the marathas to the south. or is it sambar?

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:44 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

my dear uncle ji, i was refering to podimas not being the same as masala inside dosa. potato fry is a fairly generic dish but the iyers removed all the masala, onions and garlic and have made it theirs. Also it helps to reinforce ownership by including it in every meal served to guests along with vengaya sambar and semia payasam. i shall not argue with sodabottleopenerwalah or you about theorem and proof of this statement. allow me to say QED.

i thought dosas were a gift of the marathas to the south. or is it sambar?

let me get this right: as proof of exclusive iyerity of this generic potato dish, you say it's served in every meal to guests along with x and y which arent exclusive in themselves? and you call it QED? you sir havent proven anything. the agent will poke further arguments in your theory.

also not to be a nitpickeran, but you say you serve ayakaya pickled to your guests and call it "generic"? it's exclusively andhran dish. the iyerini has no clothes.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:46 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Day 1:
onion sambar
potato roast
spinach chana dal
cucumber raita
dosakaya patchadi
white rice
fried urad dal papad
fruits and rasgolla

Day 2:
sambar rice
curd rice
beetroot and mint raita
fried urad dal papad
homemade avakayalu
fruits and ras malai

Sometime this week I plan to make drum stick kuzhambu, aviyal and okra fry for dinner.

I think max had mentioned another book. I forget which one. if you are looking for specific recipes, maybe some typical tambrahm can help you out. i will try to get you a good recipe also.

What?! No white rice on day 2?

Is avakayalu fresh mango pickle?

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:let me get this right: as proof of exclusive iyerity of this generic potato dish, you say it's served in every meal to guests along with x and y which arent exclusive in themselves? and you call it QED? you sir havent proven anything. the agent will poke further arguments in your theory.
oh i am sure of that. it would help to get a better understanding of the theory but i would rather spend my time eating than pondering. thank you very much.
all i know that in a scientifically conducted experiment run by a scientific mix of castes, classes and skin complexion, it was found that if you have lunch at 10 tambrahm houses, atleast 8 of them would serve those three dishes. QED. again.

also not to be a nitpickeran, but you say you serve ayakaya pickled to your guests and call it "generic"? it's exclusively andhran dish. the iyerini has no clothes.

sigh but you are a nitpickeran. you say i am a tambrahm, does that mean i am one? huh huh
for the benefit of all you nitpickerans I clearly stated this is not a typical tambrahm meal. now what part of that should i restate and in which language? but yes, that recipe does makes a superb batch of avakayalu or avakai if i pleases you.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:07 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

ashaji, hamne socha ki mehmaanon ko pata chale ki zindagi ke do pehloo hain - asha aur nirasha. yeh bilkul ho sakta hai ki unhe badi nirasha hui hogi ki unhe safed chawal nahi parosa gaya. par asha hai unhe sambar chawal aur dahi chawal pasand aaya hoga. koi chote bachche to hain nahi. zindagi ki har khwaish thodi poori hoti hai. itni samajh to honi chahiye.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:14 pm

this reminds me of this mil of someone we knew... she would not keep spoons in the dinner setting, claiming 'indian style of eating does not need a spoon'. When asked how to eat daal, she said eat it with rice or scoop it with roti, or use or fingers to hold it in. Luckily her two sons were more sensible, and would get spoons for us after we sat there motionless. She would let us use spoons, but I don't think she ever changed her theory.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:Looks like the book I have does not have the recipe.
sometime ago when max had used the word urulaikizhangu for alu, there did not seem that the two shared a prakrit root word. but urulai and alu are not very far...of course i am imagining things and let's leave all that.

etymology of uruLaikizhangu:

uruLai: round in thamizh
kizhangu: tuber

eta: not only are you imagining things, you sir are very close to acquiring the lamberdaran malady -- tenuous connectionivitis.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:

ashaji, hamne socha ki mehmaanon ko pata chale ki zindagi ke do pehloo hain - asha aur nirasha. yeh bilkul ho sakta hai ki unhe badi nirasha hui hogi ki unhe safed chawal nahi parosa gaya. par asha hai unhe sambar chawal aur dahi chawal pasand aaya hoga. koi chote bachche to hain nahi. zindagi ki har khwaish thodi poori hoti hai. itni samajh to honi chahiye.

Dhanyawad, lekin aur ek prashna (prashnu?). Ras malai and rasgolla aap hi ne banaayi hain ya baahar se mangvaye?

You get 4 stars if you made it your self, and will redeem yourself. (You had lost 3 after the potato fiasco).

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:this reminds me of this mil of someone we knew... she would not keep spoons in the dinner setting, claiming 'indian style of eating does not need a spoon'. When asked how to eat daal, she said eat it with rice or scoop it with roti, or use or fingers to hold it in. Luckily her two sons were more sensible, and would get spoons for us after we sat there motionless. She would let us use spoons, but I don't think she ever changed her theory.

You do know that SI's don't use spoons, even with sambar, right?

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 pm

The way this is going, I am guessing getting those from outside should earn the four stars... if you view it from the guests dinner experience POV, I mean.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:26 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:this reminds me of this mil of someone we knew... she would not keep spoons in the dinner setting, claiming 'indian style of eating does not need a spoon'. When asked how to eat daal, she said eat it with rice or scoop it with roti, or use or fingers to hold it in. Luckily her two sons were more sensible, and would get spoons for us after we sat there motionless. She would let us use spoons, but I don't think she ever changed her theory.

they don't? I mean earlier no one in India did. I am talking about modern SI's. FYI, this aunty, god bless her soul, was not an SI, WI or EI. She was north of NI's too. So pliss not to think I am dissing thambis.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:

they don't? I mean earlier no one in India did. I am talking about modern SI's. FYI, this aunty, god bless her soul, was not an SI, WI or EI. She was north of NI's too. So pliss not to think I am dissing thambis.

I really think you are dissing 'thambis'. But I don't mind. You can diss them all you want. (Is thambis = Tamils or all SI's?)

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:43 pm

LOL.. no... sublime's post .. the way she went all roundabout explaining why she should not be obligated to serve white rice to the guests, who are peeps probably used to having it with every meal, when a simple 'I myself don't care for white rice' would have sufficed.... reminded me of the MIL.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
they don't? I mean earlier no one in India did. I am talking about modern SI's.

we use our hands to eat home cooked southern indian food every day. the only time we use silverware is when we make some pasta noodle dish or lasagna, risotto or something like that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:23 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
Dhanyawad, lekin aur ek prashna (prashnu?). Ras malai and rasgolla aap hi ne banaayi hain ya baahar se mangvaye?

You get 4 stars if you made it your self, and will redeem yourself. (You had lost 3 after the potato fiasco).

hellooo there is no potato fiasco. okaaay.
ras malai and ras golla halwai ne banaye. please do not tell me how many stars i lose because of this. on top of that i do not get to redeem myself in your eyes! excuse me while I go into depression now. Sad

Tracy Whitney wrote:LOL.. no... sublime's post ..
the way she went all roundabout explaining why she should not be
obligated to serve white rice to the guests, who are peeps probably used
to having it with every meal, when a simple 'I myself don't care for
white rice' would have sufficed.... reminded me of the MIL.
trace, the guests were a couple. and there was more than enough food for the two of them. i do not care for white rice everyday and we had just had white rice two days back. but i would not deprive guests just because i do not care for it. also sambar and curd rice were made with white rice.
this is the straight and final answer. i am not speaking in any tongue because it is oh so cumbersome to keep translating to plainspeak. so tongue do not veer to the cheek else TW goes off making another connection in her virile mind.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:22 am

.|Sublime.| wrote:i do know that potato podimas is different from the potato masala used inside masala dosas.

Subbulakshmi, then you'd also know that there is no one standard recipe for the potato masala used inside masala dosas. Every household has its recipe and so does every restaurant. Garlic is almost never ever used. Ginger is optional.

The generic recipe you provided is as common in Maharashtra as it is in Karnataka, AP, TN (and I'm guessing, Kerala). Just because the Tams have named it podimas doesn't make it Tambrahm. Just fyi, the Kannadigas call it palya. Maharashtrians call it bhaji. Mere labels don't give ownership rights. Stop doing the dirty work for those evil klepto Iyers.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Stop doing the dirty work for those evil klepto Iyers.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
they don't? I mean earlier no one in India did. I am talking about modern SI's.

we use our hands to eat home cooked southern indian food every day. the only time we use silverware is when we make some pasta noodle dish or lasagna, risotto or something like that.
Same here. I don't like eating pappu-annam or biryani with a spoon.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:25 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
.|Sublime.| wrote:i do know that potato podimas is different from the potato masala used inside masala dosas.

Subbulakshmi, then you'd also know that there is no one standard recipe for the potato masala used inside masala dosas. Every household has its recipe and so does every restaurant. Garlic is almost never ever used. Ginger is optional.

The generic recipe you provided is as common in Maharashtra as it is in Karnataka, AP, TN (and I'm guessing, Kerala). Just because the Tams have named it podimas doesn't make it Tambrahm. Just fyi, the Kannadigas call it palya. Maharashtrians call it bhaji. Mere labels don't give ownership rights. Stop doing the dirty work for those evil klepto Iyers.
I approve this message.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:54 am

potato curry is a very common vegetable and every region prepares it in a slightly different way. just because potato is the common ingredient does not make them all the same. let every part of india have the ownership rights to their dish. aloo tastes different in the streets of delhi compared to punjab. which is why there is a separate recipe called amritsari aloo. podimas is not the same as batata palya which is not the same as aloo gobi (but which maybe the same as gobi aloo)
it is all the same potato but different taste.

[quote="MD"'] Stop doing the dirty work for those evil klepto Iyers.[/quote]
but I like them rabbit

why is everybody getting their undies in a twist over this? is it because of the trigger word tambrahm?

and someone approve my messages too for a change!!

jeez, by god, this is a tambrahm hating community.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:eta: not only are you imagining things, you sir are very close to acquiring the lamberdaran malady -- tenuous connectionivitis.

look who's talking! i thought you coauthored that blog by sevaji. Shocked sevaji does not lie.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:04 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:why is everybody getting their undies in a twist over this? is it because of the trigger word tambrahm?

and someone approve my messages too for a change!!

jeez, by god, this is a tambrahm hating community.
Yes, tambrams are easy targets on this forum. Back in my early days here, I remember remarking that one of the worst punishments that can be inflicted on posters here is "branding as a tambram."

BTW, I do approve this message. As the admin, I am observing the race between this thread and the jokes thread to become the second thread ever in SUCH history to reach the double century mark. Nothing like some good old tambram baiting to push this thread over the edge.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:05 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:eta: not only are you imagining things, you sir are very close to acquiring the lamberdaran malady -- tenuous connectionivitis.

look who's talking! i thought you coauthored that blog by sevaji. Shocked sevaji does not lie.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 3077217049
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:08 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Day 1:
onion sambar
potato roast
spinach chana dal
cucumber raita
dosakaya patchadi
white rice
fried urad dal papad
fruits and rasgolla

Day 2:
sambar rice
curd rice
beetroot and mint raita
fried urad dal papad
homemade avakayalu
fruits and ras malai

that is enough food for thought. i think we can recreate these meals and that will keep us busy for sometime. ok, we will bring this exchange to a close quickly for i don't want to drag you into more fiascos (btw, i approve your last message). Smile one last thing: please share the recipe for drumstick kuzhambu. please also recommend one or two of your fav. rasam recipes (to be had with rice).

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:13 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:potato curry is a very common vegetable and every region prepares it in a slightly different way. just because potato is the common ingredient does not make them all the same. let every part of india have the ownership rights to their dish. aloo tastes different in the streets of delhi compared to punjab. which is why there is a separate recipe called amritsari aloo.

I agree with the concept but only if the recipe is intrinsically different. Amritsari aloo for instance, is made very differently, by deep-frying besan-coated aloo wedges. OTOH, all of Northindia consumes this highly generic and utterly revulsive aloo-pyaz, the closest cousin of our palya / podimas. So just because she feeds this every day to her brood, Tracy Trivedi can't misappropriate aloo-pyaz and say it is a Saryuparin specialty.

.|Sublime|. wrote:podimas is not the same as batata palya which is not the same as aloo gobi (but which maybe the same as gobi aloo) it is all the same potato but different taste.

Subbulakshmi, you're losing it. How can you even compare alugedde palya with aloo gobi?? The recipes are completely different. OTOH, the recipe and taste of generic podimas/palya/bhaji recipe is more or less identical.

.|Sublime|. wrote:and someone approve my messages too for a change!!

It takes blue-petaled flowers and much love to get such approvals.

.|Sublime|. wrote:jeez, by god, this is a tambrahm hating community.

Not at all. I heart Tambrahms (god bless those comely Iyerinis), but I totally disapprove of their kleptomania, unscrupulously claiming ownership of all varieties of generic South Indian cultural artifacts.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:45 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:alugedde
Interesting. I thought alugadda was a Telangana word, while in coastal Andhra it is called bangALAdumpa ("bengal root") -- is there a Kannada equivalent to the latter usage?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:02 am

Interesting. No, I'm not aware of any reference to "Bengal roots".

But gedde is the generic term for tubers / roots. So I'm guessing the "alu" got added in places where the tuber traveled down from points North. Coastal Andhra might have acquired it from European colonies in Bengal.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 am

urulai roast with rotis. added a dash of lemon to the roast (sorry nutmeg) and had it with green chillis. lovely (that considering i am not to fond of alus). if we add curry leaves to this, it becomes an acceptable dosa filling. the cubes should have been cut a bit larger. should go nice with vengaya sambar. (urulai roast recipe 1 here)

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 4 Imag0217

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:04 am

i mean lime not lemon above.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next