To JM Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To JM

4 posters

Go down

To JM Empty To JM

Post by Rishi Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 pm

You said

"people who deliberately stay away from carnatic music for non-musical
reasons, regardless of caste, religion, and language, are missing hours
and hours - perhaps a lifetime - of interesting and pleasurable
listening. i feel similarly about bharathanatiyam."

The Carnatic Music and bharathanatiyam are both rooted in Hinduism. Almost 99% of the songs are in praise of some GOD like Rama, Durga, Ganesha, Shiva, Krishna etc. A similar situation with Bharathanatyam also. That is why they were called Hindu Arts by the British. People like Thyagaraja composed songs by getting inspiration from praying to the very garish idols you were referring to in your postings.

On one hand you seem to appreciate the Hindu Art of Carnatic Music which would not come into existence but for Hinduism. And on the other hand you seem to have aversion to Hinduism itself.

I could not help pointing out this contradiction.

I do agree with you on the havoc caused by the excesses of the caste system and the cruelty and injustice heaped upon the lower castes.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

To JM Empty Re: To JM

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:30 am

Rishi wrote:You said

The Carnatic Music and bharathanatiyam are both rooted in Hinduism. Almost 99% of the songs are in praise of some GOD like Rama, Durga, Ganesha, Shiva, Krishna etc. A similar situation with Bharathanatyam also. That is why they were called Hindu Arts by the British. People like Thyagaraja composed songs by getting inspiration from praying to the very garish idols you were referring to in your postings.

On one hand you seem to appreciate the Hindu Art of Carnatic Music which would not come into existence but for Hinduism. And on the other hand you seem to have aversion to Hinduism itself.

I do agree with you on the havoc caused by the excesses of the caste system and the cruelty and injustice heaped upon the lower castes.
i have no aversion to hindu philosophy, but i have an aversion to several of the practices of hinduism, in particular, the caste-based ones. i have no aversion to islam or christianity either. i accept all religions as part of the reality of life in this world, for the overwhelming majority of people, esp in india, are religious.

i am able to enjoy carnatic music, on the one hand, without thoughts of any garish idol, and on the other, without trying to strip the composition or performance of any or all of its religious content. i suspect that i can do so largely because the music sways the core of human emotions, primarily love and devotion; it does not seem to matter towards whom the love and devotion are directed. (it might as well be towards the theory of constrained optimization.)

i believe that the appreciation of art is complete only if it is experienced emotionally and instinctively, in other words, "innocently," without the intervention of reason or logic. now that i've attempted an intellectual analysis of my affinity for carnatic music, my future enjoyment of it is unlikely to be as complete or uncorrupted as it has thus far been. i have you to thank for that.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

I appreciate JM's affinity towards carnatic music so long as he doesn't lapse absently and merrily into "thanaana thaga thak thanaana" in the middle of a conversation as some of the aficianados are prone to do.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:14 am

Rishi wrote:You said

>>>> This is not that unusual. Just think about the churches in Europe and western classical music. Religion, specifically Christianity, unleashed a tremendous amount of energy and talent which resulted in masterpieces. You can be an atheist or have had little exposure to Christianity, yet you are very likely to be spellbound when you see the Sistine Chapel.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum